Defense Official: Obama Calling for Defense Budget Cuts

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
The Obama administration has asked the military's Joint Chiefs of Staff to cut the Pentagon's budget request for the fiscal year 2010 by more than 10 percent -- about $55 billion -- a senior U.S. defense official tells FOX News.

Last year's defense budget was $512 billion. Service chiefs and planners will be spending the weekend "burning the midnight oil" looking at ways to cut the budget -- looking especially at weapons programs, the defense official said.

Some overall budget figures are expected to be announced Monday

http://www.usmessageboard.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=19

Anyone Surprised???

That so screams 'Jimma Carter'

Yep, and Carter was the last Democrat who campaigned on the promise of change and came into the White House with both Houses of Congress controlled by his party, the economy in deep trouble and a multitude of foreign policy problems to deal with.

What happened four years later?

I don't think Obama quite understands what a stimulative effect it would have on the economy if he actually increased defense spending. He better hope no attack happens on his watch.

I don't think Obama quite understands what a stimulative effect it would have on the economy if he actually increased defense spending. He better hope no attack happens on his watch.

I agree with this, in fact if he'd have some Nixonian moments and speak with his hero, FDR, he'd know more. In any case, I've no doubt that those geniuses in DOD can cut 10%, but shouldn't that be across the board?

The Pentagon is the biggest welfare queen there is.

The huge increases in defense spending by Reagan and Bush are what created 90% of our National Debt.

It's about time! But why only 10%? If he cut 90%, we'd still have the worlds largest military budget

The Pentagon is the biggest welfare queen there is.

The huge increases in defense spending by Reagan and Bush are what created 90% of our National Debt.

who controls the purse, dipshit?

It's about time! But why only 10%? If he cut 90%, we'd still have the worlds largest military budget

and the two (and eventually three) wars he has us in will lead to more American casualties because of these cuts.

Im not sure id necessarily be cutting alot of defense spending... especially if Mexico is nearing collapse. We may need our military protecting our own boarders sooner than later.

Sadly, I think Biden may have been right about something. There is going to be an international crisis soon into this administration. Likely a terror attack or something. Because the terrorists have a pattern of hitting immediately after an administration change. And just from the way the media is reporting Pres. Obama's attitude, they are going to think we are ripe for the picking.

Im not sure id necessarily be cutting alot of defense spending... especially if Mexico is nearing collapse. We may need our military protecting our own boarders sooner than later.

Sadly, I think Biden may have been right about something. There is going to be an international crisis soon into this administration. Likely a terror attack or something. Because the terrorists have a pattern of hitting immediately after an administration change. And just from the way the media is reporting Pres. Obama's attitude, they are going to think we are ripe for the picking.

Can you explain what you mean about the media reporting Obama's attitude?

There's no such thing as a military budget large enough to protect us from any threat, or for that matter, even likely threats.

We have a military budget large enough to allow military adventurism on the part of our leaders. That is too big of a military.

There's no such thing as a military budget large enough to protect us from any threat, or for that matter, even likely threats.

We have a military budget large enough to allow military adventurism on the part of our leaders. That is too big of a military.

How, then, were we not able to get the body armour to our troops?

So, if the military had been bigger, 9-11 might not have happened???

I'm sure some people actually believe that

That so screams 'Jimma Carter'

Ya, he vetoed that POS B-1 bomber. What a flop that plan has been. We should have listened to Jimmy
And the B-2, and 50% of the fleet train, and half the US navy warships, all of which cost us 5 times more to restore after he was gone.

You advocate listening to a fool.

Don't forget defunding NASA, which, through their research and necessities, brought us almost all of the new production the US has had in the past few decades (example, velcro, solid state electronics). Imagine where we would have been without his meddling!

Forum List

Back