Defense leaders warn of impact of budget cuts

Come on now, do we REALLY need yet another submarine right now? Aren't submarines used primarily as "offensive" or "first strike" weapons delivery systems these days? If the GOP truly wants to rein in spending, are they willing to cut back on the Pentagono's budget or not? We already know that Caribou Barbie is againts the idea, but what about real conservative politicians?

Defense leaders warn of impact of budget cuts - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com

why don't you read your own link instead of putting up strawman bullshit about the GOP?

On Wednesday, Republican lawmakers rolled out a plan to give the Pentagon about $518 billion, which is about $1 billion more than the 2010 level, but still well short of the $531 billion recommended in Obama's 2011 request.

:eusa_whistle:

Hmmm....comprehension isn't your thing this morning, is it del? The GOP was voted back into power to cut spending. I am questioning whether defense spending is a priority cut for this new "conservative" GOP.
You've gotta be kiddin'.

:eusa_eh:

How are $tockholder$ (with the defense-industry) expected to dole-out those "traditional-value$" (i.e. campaign-contributions), to the GOP, if a cut in defense-spending sidetracks the $tockholder$'.....​

July 9, 2006

"There were no banks or wire transfers to pay them, no bean counters to keep track of the money. Just vaults and footlockers stuffed with billions of dollars in cash.

"Fresh, new, crisp, unspent, just-printed $100 bills. It was the Wild West," recalls Frank Willis, who was the No. 2 man at the Coalition Provisional Authority’s Ministry of Transportation.

The money was a mixture of Iraqi oil revenues, war booty and U.S. government funds earmarked for the coalition authority. Whenever cash was needed, someone went down to the vault with a wheelbarrow or gunny sacks.

"Those are $100,000 bricks of $100 bills and that’s $2 million there," Willis explains, looking at a photo of brick-shaped stacks of money wrapped in plastic. "This, in fact, is a payment that we made on the 1st of August to a company called Custer Battles."

Willis says the bricks of money were also sometimes referred to as footballs, "… because we passed them around in little pickup games in our office," he says laughing.

Asked if he has any evidence that the accounting system was a little loose, Willis says, "I would describe it as nonexistent."

:eusa_shhh:

Which says nothing of making government smaller, he simply wanted our government to work as efficiently as possible. If you are trying to draw a comparison between Obama and the new "fiscally conservative" GOP, I think you are stretching a bit.

So, by "lean" you believe Obama meant "much larger, but efficient?"

The next time someone complains that I'm driving an SUV, I'll just say "It's more efficient than driving an Ocean Liner."

Why would anyone complain about the vehicle you drive? You are the one who has to put gas in it, right?

There are all sorts of kooks who wanna regulate the type of vehicle I drive.

Correction, the "Pubs" pledged to cut $100B. Now, they are having trouble finding $30B, and meanwhile, their buddies in the defense industry are keeping them in check on defense spending.

Now here's where you lose me: How do you reccon that the "Buddies" of the defense industry are only republicans, and not also democrats?

I am painting with a broad brush this morning. Work with me here. However, let's be honest, history proves that the GOP supports defense spending over any other type of spending. Fair?

The constitution supports more spending on defence than any of the other stuff that's not even supposed to have money spent on by the Government.

Not to defend the GOP's spending on defence as to say it's all good by any means...

Do you NOT understand how our government works?

i do, but you seem to be having some trouble coming to grips with it.

it's your link, not mine, that refers to obama's proposed budget and the cuts proposed by the GOP. :lol:

get a grip

Still waiting on the "deep" defense budget cuts. Aren't you?

Lets be fair. The most supported TP candidate was Rand Paul and he offers more in defense spending cuts than the Democrats have in the last 200 years... Also he offers the biggest entitlement cuts than the Republicans have offered in 200 years. Rand would like to offer more cuts because that still does not balance the budget and inevitably the cuts will come by force due to lack of funds being barrowed.

WASHINGTON — U.S. Congress' failure to pass a 2011 defense budget bill is jeopardizing the military's effort to send more surveillance and attack drones into Afghanistan, as well as stymieing plans to buy a new Navy submarine, Army combat helicopters and other major weapons systems, defense leaders say.

Come on now, do we REALLY need yet another submarine right now? Aren't submarines used primarily as "offensive" or "first strike" weapons delivery systems these days? If the GOP truly wants to rein in spending, are they willing to cut back on the Pentagono's budget or not? We already know that Caribou Barbie is againts the idea, but what about real conservative politicians?

Defense leaders warn of impact of budget cuts - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com

I consider myself con. when it comes to the military and they have lots of waste and prgms that can be cut, there is no doubt of it and I to hate the politics (see the Boeing Refueling scam as an example) invloved .

I must have posted this several times but will do so one more time then save it- for anyone thats interested the quadrennial defense review took place last year in Feb., it wasn’t pretty, a bi-partisan commission , found our posture lacking. We have been scaling back, we have deferred 2 air craft carriers till god knows when and canceled another, we have decided that the 600 or so air superiority fighters whose ages are over 25 years old will not be replaced by the f22, as our purchase is limited to 180 aircraft and they are considering using the F35 as a dual role platform,( for which it is not suited).

For anyone seriously interested heres a good primer, I have more on request.

The Gates Legacy

The Pentagon is not ready for the 21st century. But it’s not too late to change course.
Dec 13, 2010, Vol. 16, No. 13 • By JIM TALENT
The Gates Legacy | The Weekly Standard

Forum List

Back