Defense leaders warn of impact of budget cuts

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
WASHINGTON — U.S. Congress' failure to pass a 2011 defense budget bill is jeopardizing the military's effort to send more surveillance and attack drones into Afghanistan, as well as stymieing plans to buy a new Navy submarine, Army combat helicopters and other major weapons systems, defense leaders say.

Come on now, do we REALLY need yet another submarine right now? Aren't submarines used primarily as "offensive" or "first strike" weapons delivery systems these days? If the GOP truly wants to rein in spending, are they willing to cut back on the Pentagono's budget or not? We already know that Caribou Barbie is againts the idea, but what about real conservative politicians?

Defense leaders warn of impact of budget cuts - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com

Subs also used a surveillance... not as exposed as other naval vessels when deployed to a hot region.... and more than just some first strike missile platform

I say cut the defense budget by scrutinizing contracts, stopping payment to contractors who are in breach, etc... also revisit many 'projects' for viability by those, not in the politics realm, who are in the business of national defense

WASHINGTON — U.S. Congress' failure to pass a 2011 defense budget bill is jeopardizing the military's effort to send more surveillance and attack drones into Afghanistan, as well as stymieing plans to buy a new Navy submarine, Army combat helicopters and other major weapons systems, defense leaders say.

Come on now, do we REALLY need yet another submarine right now? Aren't submarines used primarily as "offensive" or "first strike" weapons delivery systems these days? If the GOP truly wants to rein in spending, are they willing to cut back on the Pentagono's budget or not? We already know that Caribou Barbie is againts the idea, but what about real conservative politicians?

Defense leaders warn of impact of budget cuts - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com

why don't you read your own link instead of putting up strawman bullshit about the GOP?

On Wednesday, Republican lawmakers rolled out a plan to give the Pentagon about $518 billion, which is about $1 billion more than the 2010 level, but still well short of the $531 billion recommended in Obama's 2011 request.

:eusa_whistle:

Subs also used a surveillance... not as exposed as other naval vessels when deployed to a hot region.... and more than just some first strike missile platform

I say cut the defense budget by scrutinizing contracts, stopping payment to contractors who are in breach, etc... also revisit many 'projects' for viability by those, not in the politics realm, who are in the business of national defense

Would your interpretation of our Constitution include spying on other countries in foreign waters deemed as "Defense"?

why don't you read your own link instead of putting up strawman bullshit about the GOP?

On Wednesday, Republican lawmakers rolled out a plan to give the Pentagon about $518 billion, which is about $1 billion more than the 2010 level, but still well short of the $531 billion recommended in Obama's 2011 request.

Hmmm....comprehension isn't your thing this morning, is it del? The GOP was voted back into power to cut spending. I am questioning whether defense spending is a priority cut for this new "conservative" GOP. I don't give a shit about Obama's passed budget. It is THAT budget that the GOP PLEDGED to cut by $100B in the first year alone, remember? Strawman, my ass....

Would your interpretation of our Constitution include spying on other countries in foreign waters deemed as "Defense"?

Surveillance is not only tied to "spying"... considering we do have actions going on in other countries and we are in combat with groups and enemies that are not countries

Surveillance is not only tied to "spying"... considering we do have actions going on in other countries and we are in combat with groups and enemies that are not countries

Coming from a military family, I know these things, but that is not what I asked you. I asked you if you felt that our Constitution allows for spending on "surveillance" of other entities in foreign waters, under the guise of "defense", since you and I both know said surveillance cannot happen by submarines in our own waters?

Coming from a military family, I know these things, but that is not what I asked you. I asked you if you felt that our Constitution allows for spending on "surveillance" of other entities in foreign waters, under the guise of "defense", since you and I both know said surveillance cannot happen by submarines in our own waters?

Nice try using the "guise" language...

Our constitution allows for spending on defense.. and defense comes in many forms... and defense does not just mean within 10 miles of our borders

Hmmm....comprehension isn't your thing this morning, is it del? The GOP was voted back into power to cut spending. I am questioning whether defense spending is a priority cut for this new "conservative" GOP. I don't give a shit about Obama's passed budget. It is THAT budget that the GOP PLEDGED to cut by $100B in the first year alone, remember? Strawman, my ass....

Indeed, a $1 billion INCREASE in the defense budget seems to contradict the goal of REDUCED SPENDING.

RINO's still don't seem to get it: when WE voters say reduce spending, we don't mean reducing what you PLAN to Spend, we mean reduce what you have spent in the PAST.

When we say cut the budget, we don't mean plan to spend more, then plan to spend less than THAT. Otherwise, I'll claim to be a Financial Genius in 2011 because I plan to spend $800/mo on a new Lexus, but instead I'll spend $500/mo on a new Cadillac, even though the car I have is paid off, and runs great.

and obama pledged to close gitmo and not use signing statements.
how's that working out?

among the other things i don't believe in, in addition to the *pledges* of pols, are the tooth fairy and the easter bunny. :lol:

they propose 30BB in cuts and the defense establishment is whining about it and in your head that somehow comes out as the repubs won't cut the budget. keep swinging :thup:

Um......A-Stan is land locked and Iraq has a 50 mile coastline.

Will a New Submarine help us protect Americans from invasion from Canada?

how's that working out?

among the other things i don't believe in, in addition to the *pledges* of pols, are the tooth fairy and the easter bunny. :lol:

they propose 30BB in cuts and the defense establishment is whining about it and in your head that somehow comes out as the repubs won't cut the budget. keep swinging :thup:

Correction, the "Pubs" pledged to cut $100B. Now, they are having trouble finding $30B, and meanwhile, their buddies in the defense industry are keeping them in check on defense spending.

how's that working out?

Correction, the "Pubs" pledged to cut $100B. Now, they are having trouble finding $30B, and meanwhile, their buddies in the defense industry are keeping them in check on defense spending.

they had no trouble cutting $30BB from Obama's proposed budget and now the pentagon, which is also obama's, is whining about it. this ain't rocket surgery.

how's that working out?

they had no trouble cutting $30BB from Obama's proposed budget and now the pentagon, which is also obama's, is whining about it. this ain't rocket surgery.

I'm sorry....who sends budgets to the President for signature, again?

how's that working out?

Del you're a genius.

Just to prove it:

Instead of selling you a Lexus for $800/mo, I'll sell you a Caddilac for $500/mo, and save you $300/mo.

:eusa_angel:

I'm sorry....who sends budgets to the President for signature, again?

are you incapable of reading your own link?

:rofl:

how's that working out?

Now here's where you lose me: How do you reccon that the "Buddies" of the defense industry are only republicans, and not also democrats?

Yeah, we wouldn't want to inconvenience the military/industrial-complex!!

HERE

After all....we are talking-about INVE$TOR$.....those great American Patriots who sit at the Right Hand O' God (like the RNC-brochure says)!!!!

how's that working out?

Now here's where you lose me: How do you reccon that the "Buddies" of the defense industry are only republicans, and not also democrats?

:thup:

Forum List

Back