Defense: Healers thought dying son had cold or flu

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Jan 19, 4:08 PM EST

Defense: Healers thought dying son had cold or flu

OREGON CITY, Ore. (AP) -- A prosecutor in the trial of an Oregon couple charged with negligent homicide in the faith-healing death of their 16-year-old son says the defendants failed to meet the community standard for medical care.

Prosecutor Greg Horner made his statements Tuesday to a Clackamas County jury in opening statements in the case of Jeff and Marci Beagley of Oregon City,

The teen died in June 2008 of complications from a urinary tract blockage that doctors said could have been treated.

Defense attorneys say the defendants were not aware of the serious disease affecting their son Neil because his symptoms resembled a cold or flu

TBO.com - News From AP

I believe that God has healed me many times in my life. He has done that by giving me enough sense to go to the doctor and get some medicine when I need it.

I believe that God will keeep me safe from the snake, lion, or any other deadly animal. In face, he has already done that by giving me enough sense to keep myself away from them.

:clap2: A big hand for the little lady. :clap2:

If his symptoms were not more then a cold or the flu they may have a case. The prosecution has to prove they had a reasonable chance to believe otherwise. The charge requires intent. I believe.

If the Jury is properly briefed on the charge and the requirement for a guilty verdict the prosecution may have a problem if they can not provide evidence the family saw more than the symptoms for a cold or the flu.

If his symptoms were not more then a cold or the flu they may have a case. The prosecution has to prove they had a reasonable chance to believe otherwise. The charge requires intent. I believe.

If the Jury is properly briefed on the charge and the requirement for a guilty verdict the prosecution may have a problem if they can not provide evidence the family saw more than the symptoms for a cold or the flu.

Negligent homocide does not require intent.. Hence the word Negligent.. I am also quite certain the symptoms were there.. You can't fake an autopsy report when you are dead.. He had a urinary blockage and he had all the symptoms to go with it.. His parents didn't listen and clearly didn't care for their son..

Their son died and rather than face the fact they murdered their son by not taking him to a doctor.. They are doing all they can to get off and not go to prison.. Which I think is dispicable!! Do the right thing and the christian thing and face the charge and make amends for their sin..

Thou shalt not kill.. And they did just that.. May god judge them accordingly.. Faith healing should be banned!!

Urinary blockages are generally extremely painfull.
I know as a generator of kidney stones.

Like I said up to the Prosecution to prove. Hopefully it is a competent one and not some just out of Law school freshman Junior DA.

Dude!! There is nothing to prove!! It is in the Autopsy report!! Done!! There is nothing else to say!!

Are you ignorant or something??

Facts can become irelevant in a trial.

True that.. Let's hope they don't in this one.. I am getting sick of hearing stories of children dying cause their parents refused to take them to a doctor and wanted to faith heal their children.. There is no greater betrayal to your children than failiing to get them healthcare..

I dont see how the prosecution can win here. i dont go to the dr every time i have cold or flu symptoms. It's quite normal.'

I will say it rather disgusts me to see you guys use this tragedy to punish the already grieving parents simply because they are athiests like you are. You guys have some serious issues.

I dont see how the prosecution can win here. i dont go to the dr every time i have cold or flu symptoms. It's quite normal.'

I will say it rather disgusts me to see you guys use this tragedy to punish the already grieving parents simply because they are athiests like you are. You guys have some serious issues.

Punish the parents? I don't see anyone here punishing the parents. It's right that they should go to trial for this. The state has an interest in ensuring its laws are complied with. Regardless of the outcome of the trial the message to everyone is that if they are are negligent to the extent that a child in their care dies then they should be held accountable. It's simply prudent.

Punish the parents? I don't see anyone here punishing the parents. It's right that they should go to trial for this. The state has an interest in ensuring its laws are complied with. Regardless of the outcome of the trial the message to everyone is that if they are are negligent to the extent that a child in their care dies then they should be held accountable. It's simply prudent.

So what your suggesting is that any time a child dies, their parents should be prosecuted?

So what your suggesting is that any time a child dies, their parents should be prosecuted?

Only if there's evidence regarding maltreatment or neglect or other culpable behaviours, assuming there's an investigation that is.

But getting back to your point about atheists and punishing. It's entirely possible to be religious and sensible, plenty of people I know are both. It's also possible to be religious and completely bloody stupid, stupid to the point that religious belief trumps common sense. If that results in harm then damn right there should be a prosecution, pour encourager les autres.

Facts can become irelevant in a trial.

True that.. Let's hope they don't in this one.. I am getting sick of hearing stories of children dying cause their parents refused to take them to a doctor and wanted to faith heal their children.. There is no greater betrayal to your children than failiing to get them healthcare..

Maybe they didn't have or couldn't afford health insurance. That shit's not cheap you know.

How could they be faith healers and atheists at the same time?

Well.. Of course you don't see how the prosecution can win.. You didn't read the article.. He had a urinary blockage.. He didn't have the flu and most likely didn't have flu like symptoms either.. The parents are saying that in hopes of getting away with killing their son..

Try actually reading the article and commenting on what the article says and not your own lame ignorant beliefs..

Their son is dead because they failied to get him medical care for a serious life threating condition.. He didn't have the sniffles.. The parents failed to get their son proper care.. They should be held accountable..

How could they be faith healers and atheists at the same time?

Yes!! I want to know the answer to that one as well.. Come Avatar?? Explain how they are athiest and faith healers at the same time?? If they were athiest their son would still be alive..

But yes.. Do explain this please!! I await your response!!

Forum List

Back