Defense bill totals 4 BILLION in EARMARKS, Change you CAN'T beleive in.

Maple

Mar 15, 2009
Here we go again, more earmarks after the President promised to put an end to this outrageous spending--- and this at a time of 10% + unemployment.

Defense Bill Earmarks Total $4 Billion - WSJ.com

Among the earmarks in the Defense bill: $18.9 million for the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the Senate sponsored by Sen. John Kerry (D., Mass.); a $23 million item for the Hawaii Healthcare Network, sponsored by Senate appropriations Chairman Daniel Inouye (D., Hawaii); a $20 million appropriation for the National World War II museum in New Orleans, by Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu and Republican Sen. David Vitter of Louisiana; and $5 million for a Heritage Center at San Francisco's historic Presidio, an item included by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in her "community funding requests."

Ms. Landrieu said in a statement that she was "proud" to secure the museum funding, which will be used to pay for the construction of a new wing that will include aircraft, tanks and landing vehicles used during the war. A spokesman for Ms. Pelosi said the Presidio item was requested by the Presidio Trust, adding that it was for rehabilitation of the Officers Club, a local landmark.

One of the larger spending items is a $300 million appropriation touted by Reps. Jim Moran (D., Va.) and Chris Van Hollen (D., Md.), among others, to improve their region's overstressed transportation system. The road widenings are justified by expanding operations at area military facilities, including new hospital facilities.

"Congress is committed to building world class facilities for our wounded warriors in the national capital region, and these funds are an integral part of that effort," Mr. Van Hollen said.

Last edited:
And another bill signed with almost 5,000 earmarks.

Earmarks Notwithstanding, President Obama Likely to Sign $447 Billion Omnibus Spending Bill - Political Punch

Earmarks Notwithstanding, President Obama Likely to Sign $447 Billion Omnibus Spending Bill
December 14, 2009 6:46 PM

PrintRSSE-mailShare this blog entry with friendsFacebookTwitterRedditStumbleUponMore
In March, President Obama announced he would sign a $410 billion omnibus spending bill containing, according to taxpayers’ groups, 8,570 earmarks at a cost of $7.7 billion, but he said he would push to reform the earmark system. He seemed a little embarrassed about the whole deal, refusing to sign the bill in public or even to release a photograph.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said at the time "the rules of the road going forward for those many appropriations bills that will go through Congress and come to his desk will be done differently."

Today Gibbs was asked if the President was contemplating vetoing the $447 billion omnibus spending bill passed by the Senate yesterday -- which has more than 5,000 earmarks – as a way of sending a signal to Democrats to stop the earmarks and wasteful spending.

BTW- he signed it.

Last edited:
And this----- the Omnibus bill with 9,000 earmarks that he signed last Feb.

President Obama to sign budget despite earmarks breaking campaign pledge

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama will break a campaign pledge against congressional earmarks and sign a budget bill laden with millions in lawmakers' pet projects, administration officials said.

Administration budget chief Peter Orszag and White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel both downplayed the $410 billion spending bill and signaled Obama would hold his nose and sign it.

Seems he has been holding his nose for quite a while now and keeps signing all the bills with all those earmarks.

Last edited:
The earmarking total for 2010 represented a 14% drop from last year's defense bill, according to an analysis by Taxpayers for Common Sense, a watchdog group that is critical of the process. The House included language in its defense bill that could subject earmarks for for-profit companies to full and open competition. But the Senate resisted, meaning that senators apparently will continue to set aside spending for favored companies, the group said.

14% better than Bush boys :beer: I will take what improvement I can get.

But keep a whining and spinning there boys.

Not good enough. Obama campaigned on this and it's a promise that he has broken over and over again.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuR4b2RzxlA&feature=related[/ame]

Does Obama Have a Double Standard on Earmarks? - TIME

Still, Ellis and other observers argue that the fiscal-2009 budget's level of earmarking is too high and that projects such as $1.8 million for swine odor and manure management in Iowa, $190,000 for the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Wyoming, $400,000 to combat bullying in Montana and $2.2 million to study grape genetics in New York are easily ridiculed and embarrassing. And they show the risk of one-party control of both the executive and legislative branches of government — which was amply demonstrated by George W. Bush and congressional Republicans.

Are you mad yet???? You should be, this is YOUR money.

Last edited:
Here we go again, more earmarks after the President promised to put an end to this outrageous spending--- and this at a time of 10% + unemployment.

Among the earmarks in the Defense bill: $18.9 million for the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the Senate sponsored by Sen. John Kerry (D., Mass.); a $23 million item for the Hawaii Healthcare Network, sponsored by Senate appropriations Chairman Daniel Inouye (D., Hawaii); a $20 million appropriation for the National World War II museum in New Orleans, by Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu and Republican Sen. David Vitter of Louisiana; and $5 million for a Heritage Center at San Francisco's historic Presidio, an item included by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in her "community funding requests."

Ms. Landrieu said in a statement that she was "proud" to secure the museum funding, which will be used to pay for the construction of a new wing that will include aircraft, tanks and landing vehicles used during the war. A spokesman for Ms. Pelosi said the Presidio item was requested by the Presidio Trust, adding that it was for rehabilitation of the Officers Club, a local landmark.

One of the larger spending items is a $300 million appropriation touted by Reps. Jim Moran (D., Va.) and Chris Van Hollen (D., Md.), among others, to improve their region's overstressed transportation system. The road widenings are justified by expanding operations at area military facilities, including new hospital facilities.

"Congress is committed to building world class facilities for our wounded warriors in the national capital region, and these funds are an integral part of that effort," Mr. Van Hollen said.

I love the way the right falls into lockstep. It's an "earmark", ooh, it must be bad. And then the things you named sound pretty good. Health care network? And that's a "bad" thing? Kennedy institute (that means scholarships).
National World War II museum. Sounds good again.

Earmarks are used on everything from infrastructure to education to research. Of course, there are a small percentage that are pork. That happens. But most come from applications that have been reviewed and approved.

I bet you also think the TARP money was just given away to banks. Must be a shock when they pay it back with interest. Billions in interest.

I just don't get Republicans. It's like they don't want to know anything. They refuse to learn. Why is that? I know, I'm asking the wrong person.

Not good enough yet still better than BOOOOOOOOSH, eh, Maple?

I don't care if it is Booooooooooooosh or Obama, it's not right and it has got to stop or this country goes bankrupt.

Your guy campained on ending this insanity and so far he has vetoed NONE of this ridiculous spending.

Change you can't beleive in!!!!! It makes him a liar in my eyes.

I love the way the right falls into lockstep. It's an "earmark", ooh, it must be bad. And then the things you named sound pretty good. Health care network? And that's a "bad" thing? Kennedy institute (that means scholarships).

Earmarks are used on everything from infrastructure to education to research. Of course, there are a small percentage that are pork. That happens. But most come from applications that have been reviewed and approved.

I bet you also think the TARP money was just given away to banks. Must be a shock when they pay it back with interest. Billions in interest.

I just don't get Republicans. It's like they don't want to know anything. They refuse to learn. Why is that? I know, I'm asking the wrong person.

It's written in a freggin defense bill, it's hidden and it's you and your money that is being passed under the table out of view of the taxpayer as a DEFENSE BILL. Any wonder why the 14 trillion dollar deficit? You don't have to look far.

We have a real unemployment rate of around 17% when you consider that so many have fallen off the unemployment role and we have the congress and the senate spending money like we actually have anything to spend. We are borrowing .50 on every dollar from China and this stuff is written into a DEFENSE BILL. Good Grief!!!! Get real- you libs truly live in la la land.

Any wonder why the tea parties, it's stuff like this that is maddening.

Yeah 20 million is a terrible idea for a WW2 museum... Give me a break. Ok there are earmarks, but that is just stupid to get in a fuss over.

Not good enough. Obama campaigned on this and it's a promise that he has broken over and over again.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuR4b2RzxlA&feature=related[/ame]

So while it was a 14% improvement it was not 100% thus it is worthless?

I don't care if it is Booooooooooooosh or Obama, it's not right and it has got to stop or this country goes bankrupt.

Your guy campained on ending this insanity and so far he has vetoed NONE of this ridiculous spending.

The Republican ( whose name I will not mention ) Vetoed no bills for how long? And then how many?
Your rhetoric covers you as it spews from your fingertips.

Yeah 20 million is a terrible idea for a WW2 museum... Give me a break. Ok there are earmarks, but that is just stupid to get in a fuss over.

How many ways do you need to hear that with a 14 trillion dollar deficit, a real 17% unemployment rate a very expensive health care on the agenda, we don't need no stinking World War 11 museum right now. The feds need to tighten their belts as the citizens have done. THIS IS YOUR TAX DOLLAR. Stupid.

The Republican ( whose name I will not mention ) Vetoed no bills for how long? And then how many?

I don't give a rat's ass who is doing it, republican or democrat it's fregging gotta stop, do you get it now????? It's taxpayer money, it's your money, my money, we have a 17% unemployment factor, a 14 trillion dollar deficit, .50 on every dollar is borrowed from the Chinese. We don't have the freggin money to be wasted on any pork barrel spending that creates NO jobs. Do you get it now. Quit with the republican, democrat crap, I don't care, it's about tax dollars, our deficit and what we are passing on to our children and grandchildren because our irresponsible government is still spending like a bunch of drunken sailors.:cuckoo::cuckoo: GOT IT YET? or are you one that is just on the government dole and never pays any taxes.

I don't give a rat's ass who is doing it, republican or democrat it's fregging gotta stop, do you get it now????? It's taxpayer money, it's your money, my money, we have a 17% unemployment factor, a 14 trillion dollar deficit, .50 on every dollar is borrowed from the Chinese. We don't have the freggin money to be wasted on any pork barrel spending that creates NO jobs. Do you get it now. Quit with the republican, democrat crap, I don't care, it's about tax dollars, our deficit and what we are passing on to our children and grandchildren because our irresponsible government is still spending like a bunch of drunken sailors.:cuckoo::cuckoo: GOT IT YET? or are you one that is just on the government dole and never pays any taxes.

Ohh I've paid my share of taxes. Worked hard all my life with perhaps 1 yr total of non employment. Made above average wages most of the time too. Or is that 2?

Ohh I've paid my share of taxes. Worked hard all my life with perhaps 1 yr total of non employment. Made above average wages most of the time too. Or is that 2?

Well then wrap that brain of yours around this. An anology- a 14 trillion dollar national debt equates to someone making $100,000 per year and having a debt of 10 million dollars. Who is going to pay that debt back?? Not the person making $100,000 he can't possibly re-pay that amount back. Neither can our government. Yet they spend and spend and spend some more on very wasteful projects. They have a blank check with taxpayer I.D on it and they are not held responsible.

Forum List

Back