Defense Bill Stalls on Procedural Vote, Senate Blocks 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' Repeal

If you are so pissed about it not passing. then blame the arrogant asshole who refused to even hear a single Republican Amendment to the bill. He knew what he was doing. Playing a game he knew all you mindless liberals would fall for.

If you are so pissed about it not passing. then blame the arrogant asshole who refused to even hear a single Republican Amendment to the bill. He knew what he was doing. Playing a game he knew all you mindless liberals would fall for.

Moving a vote for cloture is no different than some legislator putting a "hold" on a bill indefinitely, which has been a favorite tool of the Republicans. You can call it a "game," but these are both rules adopted by the Senate a long time ago, and the Senate will need to change them for bills to simply move to floor debate with no prior tinkering with the timeframe. The party in power will use whichever suits their own agenda.

Moving a vote for cloture is no different than some legislator putting a "hold" on a bill indefinitely, which has been a favorite tool of the Republicans. You can call it a "game," but these are both rules adopted by the Senate a long time ago, and the Senate will need to change them for bills to simply move to floor debate with no prior tinkering with the timeframe. The party in power will use whichever suits their own agenda.

Well at least you admit. The party in power used this bill to suit there Agenda. There agenda this time being to make it look like Republicans were blocking DADT

Well at least you admit. The party in power used this bill to suit there Agenda. There agenda this time being to make it look like Republicans were blocking DADT

Of course the fact that Republicans intended to add 11 amendments had nothing to do with it. Nah...

Of course the fact that Republicans intended to add 11 amendments had nothing to do with it. Nah...

11 amendments of which only 1 had anything to do with DADT.

It was indeed the Democrats leaderships refusal to even consider a single Republican Amendment that lead directly to the Republicans blocking it.

What are you suggesting? that the simple fact that they wanted to add amendments is why it didn't pass. That is how our congress works man. Amendments to bills are brought up for debate all the time. This time the DEMS refused to even allow debate on them. They wanted an up or down vote. On the bill they wrote, with out allowing any debate or consideration of any Republican Amendments. They knew full well by doing that. They are assuring the Republicans would vote against it.

So like I said. They played a game with it. They never intended for it to pass before the election. They just wanted to make it appear the Republicans were obstructing again.

Last edited:

11 amendments of which only 1 had anything to do with DADT.

It was indeed the Democrats leaderships refusal to even consider a single Republican Amendment that lead directly to the Republicans blocking it.

What are you suggesting? that the simple fact that they wanted to add amendments is why it didn't pass. That is how our congress works man. Amendments to bills are brought up for debate all the time. This time the DEMS refused to even allow debate on them. They wanted an up or down vote. On the bill they wrote, with out allowing any debate or consideration of any Republican Amendments. They knew full well by doing that. They are assuring the Republicans would vote against it.

So like I said. They played a game with it. They never intended for it to pass before the election. They just wanted to make it appear the Republicans were obstructing again.

They wanted an up or down vote on cloture, with floor debate on the bill to begin after the November elections, at which time amendments will be allowed.

I've been trying to find out at what point this all turned into a donneybrook, but even Opencongress.org doesn't have the timeline for the debate over the Dream Act or don't ask don't tell. I believe, as far as I can tell, that Reid simply made the motion for cloture of the bill as it existed unchanged since last June, and then all hell broke loose.

The Republicans do not give a shit about the nation, period. It is all partisan politics to them.

And it's the same for you. Don't lie but at least be honorable and tell the truth.

A new variation of "I know you are but what am I?" and "I'm rubber you're glue, everything you say about me bounces off of me and sticks to you".

Why do conservatives use second grade rhetoric? (I suppose because by the third grade most kids use words with three and more syllables)

The Republicans do not give a shit about the nation, period. It is all partisan politics to them.

And it's the same for you. Don't lie but at least be honorable and tell the truth.

A new variation of "I know you are but what am I?" and "I'm rubber you're glue, everything you say about me bounces off of me and sticks to you".

Why do conservatives use second grade rhetoric? (I suppose because by the third grade most kids use words with three and more syllables)

Yes conservatives are the only ones that say, you did it too, when confronted with their own BS. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back