Defective Used Cars Often Sold Despite Recalls

Don't buy new from Hyundai, if you want peak performance. Had a Hyundai, and you have get it serviced from them to keep the warranty.

Their service is a ripoff and they do shody work. The car had been recalled at least four times, and every time they claimed extra things were wrong with it.

When their warranty ran out, and it was taken to another mechanic, he found that Hyundai had cut corners with the wiring and deliberately didn't fix issues so that Hyundai could charge again and again.

That's not a problem with Hyundai, it's a problem with an unethical dealer. It is NOT LEGAL to require that maintenance be provided in the dealership to maintain warranty coverage. All that is required is that the maintenance be documented. Could be a cash register receipt from WalMart for engine oil - good enough.

Hyundai has spent millions and millions of dollars to improve its public image, and would be very interested to know about an asshole-dealer such as the one you describe.

Of course, there is nothing unethical about checking out a car that is brought in for a recall, to see if any additional work is needed, or could be suggested. They are in business to service cars, after all.

Are they phone illiterate, too?

Most used cars, unless certified are sold as is. Thus your responsibility. It is truly sad you want to dumb down people so much they don't have to show any personal responsibility.
If someone does not research the vehicle they are buying they get what they deserve.

Researching an automobile's history has an aurora of vagueness to it. Does that mean looking up the accident record of the vehicle or browsing through the maintenance history? For most of us that is the extent of our research. But even then we generally do that when buying from a private party, if at all. Buying from a dealer is another matter. We tend to assume ( tongue in cheek) the dealer has had the car inspected thoroughly for safety and would not knowingly sell dangerous vehicles. Giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt, let us suppose he does give his vehicles a thorough inspection before selling them. He and his mechanics may not be aware that a recall is in effect on that vehicle. Recall defects tend to be less conspicuous things related to mechanical design or engineering flaws; a mechanic wouldn't have a clue unless he is privy to a list of recalls. Not all do.

The bottom line is that when a defective vehicle is sold and driven, we are all at risk. The vehicle coming towards you on the highway may have a recall defect that could send it careening into your lane. At least with a statutory requirement for all vehicles to be checked for recalls and have them fixed before being sold in place, there would be more peace of mind than we have now concerning that oncoming vehicle.
The bottom line is it takes 10 seconds to type 'Chevy Cobalt Recalls' into your computer.

Recall check takes 5 minutes...can be done online or by calling the service department of any dealer. If you aren't bright enough to figure that out, you probably should not be permitted to operate a motor vehicle.

There are plenty of senior citizens out there who have not bothered to become computer literate. And even for younger people that are computer literate there is far too much naiveté when buying used cars from a dealer.
After having sat in the friendly dealers office poring over paperwork and reviewing the CARFAX, a certain peace of mind envelopes the buyer and the reassuring smile and handshake of the salesman, who looks just like Bob Barker, is enough. The car is driven off the lot and tested on the freeway with the driver completely unaware of the danger lurking silently within his valued treasure. An alarm is raised only when the buyer sees an ad in the paper for recalls or hears it on the news. Perhaps YOU consider that driver/buyer to be foolish in some way. I do not. And,if my op article is correct, there are a lot of people out there driving vehicles with defects. The real foolish notion is to believe that none of those vehicles will have an impact on YOUR lives.
That is not just foolish, it is plain stupid. If you don't think much more needs to be done in tacking this problem,
perhaps my efforts are being wasted on the wrong audience!

If someone does not research the vehicle they are buying they get what they deserve.

Or, like what Carmax tried to do to me is they will look up a "Car Check" that they like to call "Car Facts" (not fax) and told me there was a MINOR accident...no biggie. Oh and theres a recall on the sunroof but the dealer will replace that after purchase...

And they overpriced...if it was all about facts there wouldnt be sales people

Most used cars, unless certified are sold as is. Thus your responsibility. It is truly sad you want to dumb down people so much they don't have to show any personal responsibility.

Personal responsibility is one thing, public safety is another. A moving defective vehicle is a time bomb that threatens anyone or any living thing in it's path. Personal responsibility , in this case, becomes an unacceptable gamble that none of us can afford. If the only thing you get from my campaign is that I'm trying to 'dumb down people," that's a blight on you.

Insurance is mandatory and in many locales emission inspections are too. Doesn't that defy your logic about personal responsibility? I think it does. It is a crime against We The People for any tier of government to allow even one defective automobile on our roadways in the name of personal responsibility!

What a joke! Right?
Are you going to next demand mandatory brake testing every 3 months next? Mandatory total engine inspection windshield wiper operation? All of those items could be faulty, you know, leading to an accident. Oh, let's not forget tire inspection monthly, shall we?

Gas appliances should be inspected monthly as well, right, lest they were to blow up, right?

It is thinking such as yours that leads to kids not being able to play on jungle gyms and teeter totters anymore, lest they get hurt, or eat with real utensils in school, lest someone decide to use them as weapons.

Toddlers can't have drawstrings on their hoodies and jackets lest they were to choke themselves, no atter it could keep there little head much warmer in cold weather. Why? -Because of rare and freak accidents. Children 6-11 can't walk to the park anymore lest they be abducted, yet statistically stranger abduction is less than .00004 percent per year!

How any of us, or our ancestors survived, is a mystery to me, since we didn't have all these life saving regulations in place.

You want to keep people safer on our roads, then support legislation that all teens must go through formal driver ed, rather than parents being able to drive with them, or not, and then sign off that they completed so many hours of driving so they can then get their license.
Sorry, I am on a rant tonight.

Personal responsibility is one thing, public safety is another. A moving defective vehicle is a time bomb that threatens anyone or any living thing in it's path. Personal responsibility , in this case, becomes an unacceptable gamble that none of us can afford. If the only thing you get from my campaign is that I'm trying to 'dumb down people," that's a blight on you.

Insurance is mandatory and in many locales emission inspections are too. Doesn't that defy your logic about personal responsibility? I think it does. It is a crime against We The People for any tier of government to allow even one defective automobile on our roadways in the name of personal responsibility!

We aren't talking about neglecting to perform routine maintenance such as brake inspections or failure to maintain power steering fluid levels. Those things do fall under the purview of personal responsibility. The sale of a recalled vehicle,especially by a dealer, without making such recall known to the buyer underlines the old "buyer's beware " cliche'.
Fixing a recalled vehicle is free; so, dealers have no excuse for selling recalled cars without fixing them. An alternative would be to at least tell the buyer about the recall before the sale. That "telling" of course should be in writing!

But now that you mention it. Any mechanical defect, recall based or not, should be fixed by a dealer before reselling OR the defect(s) should be specified. That's just me and my sense of morality and ethical conduct. A private seller should be held to the same standards

What a joke! Right?
Are you going to next demand mandatory brake testing every 3 months next? Mandatory total engine inspection windshield wiper operation? All of those items could be faulty, you know, leading to an accident. Oh, let's not forget tire inspection monthly, shall we?

Gas appliances should be inspected monthly as well, right, lest they were to blow up, right?

It is thinking such as yours that leads to kids not being able to play on jungle gyms and teeter totters anymore, lest they get hurt, or eat with real utensils in school, lest someone decide to use them as weapons.

Toddlers can't have drawstrings on their hoodies and jackets lest they were to choke themselves, no atter it could keep there little head much warmer in cold weather. Why? -Because of rare and freak accidents. Children 6-11 can't walk to the park anymore lest they be abducted, yet statistically stranger abduction is less than .00004 percent per year!

How any of us, or our ancestors survived, is a mystery to me, since we didn't have all these life saving regulations in place.

You want to keep people safer on our roads, then support legislation that all teens must go through formal driver ed, rather than parents being able to drive with them, or not, and then sign off that they completed so many hours of driving so they can then get their license.
Sorry, I am on a rant tonight.

Or, like what Carmax tried to do to me is they will look up a "Car Check" that they like to call "Car Facts" (not fax) and told me there was a MINOR accident...no biggie. Oh and theres a recall on the sunroof but the dealer will replace that after purchase...

And they overpriced...if it was all about facts there wouldnt be sales people
You were stupid enough to use Carmax?

Know some states have so-called 'lemon laws' governing used vehicle sales. While others have specific ones about recalled vehicles. Would think anyone buying a vehicle, especially a used one, would be looking to see if it was recalled and whatnot in the normal course of paying however much for an item. I don't buy produce at the store unless up to date on salmonella and e. coli types notices.

Researching an automobile's history has an aurora of vagueness to it. Does that mean looking up the accident record of the vehicle or browsing through the maintenance history? For most of us that is the extent of our research. But even then we generally do that when buying from a private party, if at all. Buying from a dealer is another matter. We tend to assume ( tongue in cheek) the dealer has had the car inspected thoroughly for safety and would not knowingly sell dangerous vehicles. Giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt, let us suppose he does give his vehicles a thorough inspection before selling them. He and his mechanics may not be aware that a recall is in effect on that vehicle. Recall defects tend to be less conspicuous things related to mechanical design or engineering flaws; a mechanic wouldn't have a clue unless he is privy to a list of recalls. Not all do.

The bottom line is that when a defective vehicle is sold and driven, we are all at risk. The vehicle coming towards you on the highway may have a recall defect that could send it careening into your lane. At least with a statutory requirement for all vehicles to be checked for recalls and have them fixed before being sold in place, there would be more peace of mind than we have now concerning that oncoming vehicle.

Your Car Fax will tell you the vehicles history and if there are any recalls. The dealer will usually pay for it and give it to you. If not, I go to another dealer.

People just need to educate themselves on buying a car. I usually look the cars models online and look to see if they have a history or trouble.

Your Car Fax will tell you the vehicles history and if there are any recalls. The dealer will usually pay for it and give it to you. If not, I go to another dealer.

People just need to educate themselves on buying a car. I usually look the cars models online and look to see if they have a history or trouble.
I used to have a Car Fax online subscription but I don't recall seeing any with recalls listed on them. I am not saying the recalls weren't there, I just don't remember seeing them.

I used to have a Car Fax online subscription but I don't recall seeing any with recalls listed on them. I am not saying the recalls weren't there, I just don't remember seeing them.
Well I'm SURE that's some Republican person's fault right?

Know some states have so-called 'lemon laws' governing used vehicle sales. While others have specific ones about recalled vehicles. Would think anyone buying a vehicle, especially a used one, would be looking to see if it was recalled and whatnot in the normal course of paying however much for an item. I don't buy produce at the store unless up to date on salmonella and e. coli types notices.
The problem with defects are that one may not appear on a report when you first read it. Then, several years later, while you have been cruising confidently down the highways and byways, secure in the idea that a single review of a recall list for your vehicle is all that is needed, BAM. Several people with cars like yours have crashed and burned...It is only THEN that most recalls are initiated.

From that perspective I can see that used car dealers may sell a car with no known defects today but several months later defects may be found in that particular model after the sale. I guess it's something that cannot really be regulated.

They were there for me, also if you call the car dealership, they will give you the list of recalls. They love recalls, it's easy money.

The problem with defects are that one may not appear on a report when you first read it. Then, several years later, while you have been cruising confidently down the highways and byways, secure in the idea that a single review of a recall list for your vehicle is all that is needed, BAM. Several people with cars like yours have crashed and burned...It is only THEN that most recalls are initiated.

From that perspective I can see that used car dealers may sell a car with no known defects today but several months later defects may be found in that particular model after the sale. I guess it's something that cannot really be regulated.

When I take my used car into the dealership for its maintenance, they alert me to all the recalls on my vehicle and we arrange for them to get then taken car of. In fact I went in Monday and the changed my oil, then fixed four recalls on my car. Pretty easy.

Call any dealer for the same car brand you drive (or even same company...I checked Jeep recalls with a Dodge-Chrysler-Ram dealer) and have the VIN handy. The service department can check on their computer in about 3 minutes.

not in America

where poor judgement is rewarded

In this case poor the beneficiary of "poor judgement" might be your local undertaker. I'm not going to sit back and criticize efforts to make our roads safer. I am going to do something about it, starting with this:Pull in H1 content dynamically Safercar.gov NHTSA

On that linked website you can put input the vin number of our car and see if any present of past recalls are in effect . You can also check daily to stay on top of any new recalls found. Aren't you guys glad I am so nice! But what are friends for, eh? Heh heh heh!

Why can't I edit my posts? USMB is in a state of operational and user friendly decline. What is happening with this site?

Forum List

Back