deer hunting

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
Looking for some input on a good deer hunting rifle, that would also work for moose or other similar large mammals, should such a situation arise.

I like the Winchester 700's (not looking for anything fancy or needlessly expensive), though I haven't decided on the exact style (most differences seem either cosmetic or material/ I like the BDL) or what caliber yet. So comments in that regard would be nice.

Also, wondering about scopes. I've done some research and everyone seems to prefer Leupold, so I was wondering what sort of magnification is sufficient, or if there are any other types of scopes people might recommend.

Any input or opinions anyone has would be great.

Zhukov said:
Looking for some input on a good deer hunting rifle, that would also work for moose or other similar large mammals, should such a situation arise.

I like the Winchester 700's (not looking for anything fancy or needlessly expensive), though I haven't decided on the exact style (most differences seem either cosmetic or material/ I like the BDL) or what caliber yet. So comments in that regard would be nice.

Also, wondering about scopes. I've done some research and everyone seems to prefer Leupold, so I was wondering what sort of magnification is sufficient, or if there are any other types of scopes people might recommend.

Left us a lot of variables there Zman--like how much you wanna spend for one!

Wow Z...Get a cannon. J/K

Really, I think the first thing for ya to do is check the regs. on the legal
caliber for Deer, Moose etc. Off the top of my head I'd say you're looking for two separate guns, but it's been awhile since I've been up
to date on ballistic technology.

When I was active in hunting, a rifle that would take down a Moose would explode a Deer...see where I'm coming from?

dilloduck said:
Left us a lot of variables there Zman--like how much you wanna spend for one!

The 700's I'm looking at are at or about $750, so in and around there. If there's a better gun for less, I've got no problem paying less.

As for scopes, I've no idea how much a decent scope costs.

Mr. P said:
Get a cannon.
Already got me one of those, but I'd have to get within about 20 yards to use it accurately, so that's not going to work.

Mr. P said:
Really, I think the first thing for ya to do is check the regs. on the legal
caliber for Deer, Moose etc.
Would that be state specific?

Mr. P said:
Off the top of my head I'd say you're looking for two separate guns, but it's been awhile since I've been up
to date on ballistic technology.

When I was active in hunting, a rifle that would take down a Moose would explode a Deer...see where I'm coming from?
I read on some board a few people commenting on a 30-06 being able to drop either a deer or a moose, and anything in between, but really I'm mainly concerned with deer. I suppose it's possible I might someday go hunt a moose, but if that would really require a whole other gun, let's just focus on a good rifle for deer.

And I can handle exploded deer, so long as there's some left to eat.

Zhukov said:
I read on some board a few people commenting on a 30-06 being able to drop either a deer or a moose, and anything in between, but really I'm mainly concerned with deer. I suppose it's possible I might someday go hunt a moose, but if that would really require a whole other gun, let's just focus on a good rifle for deer.

And I can handle exploded deer, so long as there's some left to eat.
I think a 30-06 is a very good choice. It's a pretty good all-around high powered rifle. Very common, and ammunition is easy to find..etc...

Oh, yes...the regs are state specific...some states do not allow hunting deer with a high powered rifle, only shot guns...I don't know about NY. Isn't that where you are?

No, I'm in Florida.

I've read their laws and there is a deer hunting season for rifles.

The only restriction on rifles that I read was that they can't have a clip capable of holding more than 5 rounds.

Zhukov said:
No, I'm in Florida.

The only restriction on rifles that I read was that they can't have a clip capable of holding more than 5 rounds.
another consideration is the area where you may hunt---open area or heavily wooded.

Zhukov said:
No, I'm in Florida.

Then the 30-06 will work for you, and is large enough for bigger game...If you didn't want to go for moose I'd say 30-30 for deer in Fla. Long shots with the need of a scope a -06 may be the best way to go.

The 700 is a very reliable and moderately priced choice. I wouldnt have anything other than a Leupold. They make them with variable maginfication so long or short shots are not a problem. The 308 is a good flat shooting round and will stop a lot of different game.

remie said:
The 700 is a very reliable and moderately priced choice. I wouldnt have anything other than a Leupold. They make them with variable maginfication so long or short shots are not a problem. The 308 is a good flat shooting round and will stop a lot of different game.

Zhuk that is some solid advice right there.

I would go with the 308 as well....if not that, then the 30-06, which seems to be more common in this neck of the woods.

Zhukov said:

See avatar...

Ruger 450 bushmaster. Can’t wait to use it November 16th. Till then I’m using a crossbow

Attachments

• 38BC2FA5-D5E2-4F9F-9E9D-2054C586230F.jpeg
    38BC2FA5-D5E2-4F9F-9E9D-2054C586230F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 52

Forum List

Back