Deer Hunting Season Is Coming Up Soon...

There is no shortage of deer on our farm here in northwestern Illinois. They do alot of damage to our corn every year - in excess of $2,000.00 easy. Because I am a landowner, and pay the taxes on the farm, I get four deer tags from the state every year for free. The wife also gets four deer tags from the state for free too. So, we harvest 8 deer a year from the farm. I love venison and will usually put a whole deer in the freezer and then we give the other seven away to various friends who like it but don't hunt. I've got my eye on a couple of nice bucks that I've been seeing a lot of here of late. You can get a deer here on our farm in about 20 minutes or less on most days. About those racks... While it is nice to get one with a big rack, so far I haven't found a really good recipe for cooking these racks up so it makes no real difference to me if it is a buck or a doe. Whichever deer happens along has the bad day. Sometimes it's a buck, sometimes it a doe.

I'm right above you in southwestern Wisconsin in the Wisconsin River Valley. There's so many damn deer around here it's pathetic. You can drive darn near any one of the hundreds of old back roads around here and see HERDS of deer, in the middle of the day even. On friend I have up on the ridge, hell I have to be careful driving down the farm driveway so I don't hit a deer. I can just imagine what it would be like if there was no deer season... my God... they'd over run the state.

I usually have my venison made up 50/50 with beef and beer fat to make burger, and then the rest made into deer salami, and I can eat the hell otta that stuff.

There's a really good place nearby that I take mine to and have about half of the deer made into sausage and the rest ground up to use in making chili, burgers, etc. I like the typical deer roast with potatos, carrots and onions too. Actually, there is very few ways that it can be fixed that I don't like. I like the taste and it's really good lean meat. The only thing is the antlers. Still haven't figured out a way to cook them up so they can be eaten. Just kidding. I have a friend that uses the antlers to make ink pens and they are really nice to have.

For cripes sake, just find out if he's Vietnamese before you pick a fight.

It's usually a good idea to stay calm when you're around a bunch of people armed with loaded, high powered rifles.

Chai Soua Vang took down 8 out of 15, without a scratch on himself.

He's like the Hmong Rambo, round-eye.

That is an amazing story. Makes me wonder what kind of a rifle he had, since you can't have a clip or magazine with over three shells in it. He'd have had to reload, unless he had some kind of assault rifle with a massive clip. And what kind of morons was he shooting at? Did they just stand there and say, "shoot me next?" Fuck... run for cover, shoot back, do something other than stand there and get shot. I'd have had my rifle leveled off on him just as soon as I saw him lower his, and if I wasn't the first one he shot, then he'd have ate lead. Course I'm ex military, and one of my hunting buddies is an ex Marine that went to Nam. Things might have been different had he met us in the woods.

There's a really good place nearby that I take mine to and have about half of the deer made into sausage and the rest ground up to use in making chili, burgers, etc. I like the typical deer roast with potatos, carrots and onions too. Actually, there is very few ways that it can be fixed that I don't like. I like the taste and it's really good lean meat. The only thing is the antlers. Still haven't figured out a way to cook them up so they can be eaten. Just kidding. I have a friend that uses the antlers to make ink pens and they are really nice to have.

As lean and tender as venison is, there's nothing better to use for tacos and chili.

I have a friend that used to make pot pipes out of antlers many years ago. Nice pipes too. He'd take them to Sturgis to the bike rally and sell them.

As lean and tender as venison is, there's nothing better to use for tacos and chili.

I have a friend that used to make pot pipes out of antlers many years ago. Nice pipes too. He'd take them to Sturgis to the bike rally and sell them.

Ground Buffalo is better than deer

Cost = $5/lb at Costco

I wonder how much $/lb edible deer is?

Obviously it depends.....for me, I guess it was..lots more

Cost = $5/lb at Costco

I don't really care for venison just in a chop or steak. Too gamie for me. I like it mixed with beef and a little beef fat for burger, and then the salami. That stuff is to die for.

I've never ate buffalo in my life, but all I've ever heard from people is how good it is. I'd love to try it. If I ever see it on sale somewhere, I'll buy some. But, when you live back in the sticks in a little town like I do, there aren't any super stores around anywhere near that sell that kind of stuff. The Indians used to raise buffalo across the river, but I hear they packed up the herd and took off.

But, not one person said one word about that crazy song... odd. The people I played that for out west had never heard it, and laughed their ass off.

Last edited:

Cost = $5/lb at Costco

I don't really care for venison just in a chop or steak. Too gamie for me. I like it mixed with beef and a little beef fat for burger, and then the salami. That stuff is to die for.

I've never ate buffalo in my life, but all I've ever heard from people is how good it is. I'd love to try it. If I ever see it on sale somewhere, I'll buy some. But, when you live back in the sticks in a little town like I do, there aren't any super stores around anywhere near that sell that kind of stuff. The Indians used to raise buffalo across the river, but I hear they packed up the herd and took off.

But, not one person said one word about that crazy song... odd. The people I played that for out west had never heard it, and laughed their ass off.

:doubt:

Ok,ok, OK....I generally don't open songs, but went back and listened to the Turdy Buck song (well, as much of it as I could stand).....its almost 6 minutes long.....confirming my opinion about Scandinavian (Cheesehead) Humor:

Beer induced Belching and Farting cannot be overemphasised.

... and for all those who have never had the opportunity to here "Bananas At Large" sing, "Da Turdy Point Buck," here ya go. This is on practically every juke box in Wisconsin during deer season...

[ame=[MEDIA=youtube]DZOC1QXTQLk[/MEDIA] - Da Turdy Point Buck[/ame]
I can't wait. My brother sends me videos of deer grazing outside his home. I think it's going to be high 70 and low in the 40's which is good so the meat won't spoil over night. I don't like 70 degrees so I have a Amish butcher near by I'll probably take it to him asap if I get so lucky to shoot something this weekend.

I LOVE hunting in warm weather. So relaxing out there. I know it's better cold but I hate cold! LOL

o cool so a bunch of guys with inferiority complexes can chase around animals that would normally kill them but since they have high powered rifles with scopes they can kill them from afar and then hang their heads on their walls to make up for their otherwise lack of achievement
I could go on and on about the reasons you're wrong, but I won't. Venison is very lean/healthy meat. I get 55 lbs of steaks and burger. $400 worth of meat? 2 deer? $800 worth of meat and never have to go buy fatty cow meat? Which in turns helps with the environment?

I should have known some little bleeding heart, tree hugger, liberal sissie would turn this into a debate on whether or not people should be allowed to hunt. It was supposed to just be about a funny song.

But if the deer herd in Wisconsin wasn't culled yearly, the deer would over run the state. Crop damage would be catastrophic, deer-vehicle accidents would sky rocket, and people would bitch like crazy about all the deer and demand the DNR do something about it. Well, what pray tell, do they think that would be? Shoot them for crying out loud.
I thought it was about deer hunting season is coming up soon. Not about that stupid song. The title attracted me to this thread. Was this thread really supposed to be about some stupid song? LOL. P.S. I do realize I'm talking to you 12 years in the past. I'm sure you've matured since? LOL

Yep- DH is patiently awaiting hunting season.:) And so am I- it gives me some alone time, and gives me the opportunity to get my hands bloody while butchering and packaging.;)
I have a bunch of pre rolled joints. But I need to stop smoking weed in the woods while I'm hunting. So the Greenhouse (one of the places we can buy weed in my home town) has a special every Tuesday. Yesterday was gummy bears with weed in them. $2 a bag. 200 grams in each bag. Limit 2. So with tax $5 for 2 bags of edibles. I will probably suck on 2 every time I go out. It should chill/relax me and make for a cool experience. I'll see the squirrels, birds and woods differently. Then I will shoot a big dear with my crossbow. Go get my tracking dog and give the deer time to die. Don't want to push it. It will go lay down and die if you leave it alone for an hour. If you go chase it, it might get up and run another mile. Into a swamp or somewhere it feels safer. So I go get the dog, smoke a joint and boy is my dog happy when he smells blood.

People who eat meat but are against hunting are such hypocrites. Slaughter houses where they pack the cows in. Now that's cruel. Free range meat is not cruel.

It's like abortion. Yes it's killing something but no it's not murder.

Forum List

Back