Deer Container

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Terry, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    My neighbor is building a large walk in cooler to store his deer that he kills. I personally don't like to eat Deer Meat but it seems my neighbor is doing some serious planning for food storage. He told me next he is building a large green house for veggies. Man I love my neighbor!

Can someone explain how the process of storing this deer? When I asked, all he said is, I kill the deer, hang it up. My mind only saw blood and I said, those wild dogs next door are going to be all over that building. He laughed and told me it will be fully refrigerated so they won't smell it. Where does all the blood go? I don't get it.

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    the deer is dressed out already...most likely he is not hanging the deer in cold storage but simply storing meat he has packed ...from his deer.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RK5Kp-Q2NA&feature=related]YouTube - How to Hunt Deer : How to Field Dress a Deer: Part 1[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  4. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    OH I see, I don't want to watch any field dressing of any kind. I have mental hangups as it is about food. I was just wondering if he hangs the deer, where does the blood go, and wouldn't it be nasty inside. But if it is just a refrigerator to store the meat, shouldn't it be a freezer and not a refrigerator?

5. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    How Your Walk In Cooler Works

6. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    To me 40 degree's isn't cold enough to store food for long periods of time. Oh well.

7. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    What do you think of those MSNBot Spider picking up your post?

8. keee keee

keee keee Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +142
    he is probally hanging his deer to tenderise the meat then after a few days he will process the meat then freeze it for long time storage. once a deer is feild dressed there is not to much blood. you hang deer to help get the meat to cool down as quickly as possible. if done properly you will end up with some of the tastiest venison. alot depends on where the deer live and the food it eats this gives the meat a good flavor, if the deer eats the right things. I hunt in wisconsin and the deer graze on farmers crops and apples and such. these deer don't have to go far for the good stuff to eat, they are fat and healthy and very tasty not gamey flavored at all..Been hitting my freezer pretty good this winter and looking foward to next deer season. got to get up a nice stand and put in my food plot for the does to graze on when rasing their babies. Feed them good then you get a good healthy herd, nothing worse than seeing starving animals during our rough winters. Didn't have much global warming this year lots of snow which meant very hard for the herd to find food! You should ask your neighbor for some venison, try it you might like it. much better than store bought meat. no chemicals or steroids ect....VERY LEAN

9. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    Oh I see, thanks for that information. He is almost done building it, and I haven't gone to look. Deer are all over the place where we live. We actually live in a hunting area during season I've been known to hit the floor thinking the buckshot's are too close for comfort. Coming home late in the mornings I have seen some pretty big deer right in my yard. I cannot eat it unless i'm starving. I've tried jerky before and it was good but I couldn't get past the mental aspect of eating Bambi.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Ummm ... eating Bambi is good ....:eusa_whistle: