Deep Thoughts

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Not really.

Just got done eating some bing cherries, boy I love those! Had corn on the cob again last night. The only thing missing is home grown tomatoes. I have a pic of my plants so far, but it's not loading for me on here, I need advice on what to do next with them from you growers. If it works this year, it will be SO nice to go outside and pick some tomatoes right off the plant! :eusa_pray:

On here because I'm avoiding doing housework. :evil: How does a 2 bedroom condo have so much crap? Thowing out or Goodwill'ing a lot of stuff.

It's around 77 here, sunny and beautiful, later I will go for a walk, then go work out. Maybe the pool tomorrow.

Anyone selling any gold for extra money? I heard it's at an all time high.

Not really.

Just got done eating some bing cherries, boy I love those! Had corn on the cob again last night. The only thing missing is home grown tomatoes. I have a pic of my plants so far, but it's not loading for me on here, I need advice on what to do next with them from you growers. If it works this year, it will be SO nice to go outside and pick some tomatoes right off the plant! :eusa_pray:

Use lots of compost and trim the growth that sprouts between the main stalk and the horizontal branches or you'll end up with too much plant and too many blooms and smaller tomatoes. A few years ago, I was able to grow Beefsteak tomatoes that were about 2 pounds each. One slice was enough to make a sandwich. Nothing tastes like a homegrown tomato right off the plant.

Bing cherries have quite the tasty! What parts are you from that you get to enjoy corn on the cob now? We don't get to enjoy it for another 6 wks or so; same with the good tomatoes. (I'll only buy from the local farm stands, the corn and toms in the store are yucky).

We signed up for a full share of a CSA. We will be having scads of vegetables all summer long.

Wretched farts here we come!

Bing cherries have quite the tasty! What parts are you from that you get to enjoy corn on the cob now? We don't get to enjoy it for another 6 wks or so; same with the good tomatoes. (I'll only buy from the local farm stands, the corn and toms in the store are yucky).

Indiana, corn country.

Yeah, I have to buy my tomatoes from the stands too right now, but they are not Indiana tomatoes, they are from Tenn. and more southern states.

I swear, I could eat homegrown tomatoes all day, every day.

Indiana, corn country.

Yeah, I have to buy my tomatoes from the stands too right now, but they are not Indiana tomatoes, they are from Tenn. and more southern states.

I put a slice or two of tomato on bread with mayo and salt and pepper. Yum.

Indiana, corn country.

How do you prepare your corn?

I love tomatoes when they are fresh picked - same day. But I have grown very wary of store bought tomatoes after popping in a few too many grape tomatoes that are a little spoiled.

Indiana, corn country.

I love tomatoes when they are fresh picked - same day. But I have grown very wary of store bought tomatoes after popping in a few too many grape tomatoes that are a little spoiled.

I boil it because I don't have a grill. Care told me a way to microwave it, I keep forgetting to do it that way.

Yeah, nothing worse then biting down on a spoiled tomato! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am going to try to get this pic of my plants on here again, I need to know if I should put them outside, they are still in the house. I started them from seed.

We get Silver Queen white corn boiled in water with a little sugar and milk.

It'll give you new religion.

Sugar and Milk? How much?

What's it do for the flavor of the corn?

Not too much sugar. I'd start out with no more than 2 tablespoons in the water. You can adjust the next time if you want more or less. Milk, about 1/2 a cup or so depending on the size of the pot and the number of ears you are doing.

It plumps up the kernels with even more sweetness than is already in there.

Indiana, corn country.

Got a dozen tomato plants going in my garden right now, Beef Steaks like you have YWN. Just hit 'em again with the Miracle Grow, about once every two weeks, and they're growing like crazy. Also have two rows of Radishes, four rows of Green Beans and four Green Pepper plants. Expecting a very nice crop of outstanding garden veggies this year.

I also like to just slice up a garden tomato, a little salt and pepper and then some Mozzarella cheese with it. Got that from this Italian dude down in Apache Junction. Store bought tomatoes are tasteless compared to home grown garden tomatoes.

Last edited:
Indiana, corn country.

Got a dozen tomato plants going in my garden right now, Beef Steaks like you have YWN. Just hit 'em again with the Miracle Grow, about once every two weeks, and they're growing like crazy. Also have two rows of Radishes, four rows of Green Beans and four Green Pepper plants. Expecting a very nice crop of outstanding garden veggies this year.

I also like to just slice up a garden tomato, a little salt and pepper and then some Mozzarella cheese with it. Got that from this Italian dude down in Apache Junction. Store bought tomatoes are tasteless compared to home grown garden tomatoes.

The only people that eat those wax store tomatoes are the ones who can't get homegrown tomatoes.

We get Silver Queen white corn boiled in water with a little sugar and milk.

It'll give you new religion.

Sugar and Milk? How much?

What's it do for the flavor of the corn?

Sometimes I cook corn on the cob in the husk right on the BBQ. Soak the corn and husk in a bucket of water for an hour (you can first peel back the husk and remove the silk to make it easier and then replace the husk) and then toss them on the grill and in 15 minutes or so, husk them, drizzle butter and salt and enjoy. The husk does burn somewhat but the corn gets a wonderful steaming and toasting.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back