Deep thoughts while Camping

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by immto, Jun 28, 2009.

1. immto

immto Return to Freedom

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Camping
    I came to a realization this weekend while camping under the stars at kickapoo. Some of the most simple and natural things in life are the most enjoyable. I doubt many politicians go camping or speak to many that do. I doubt many spend any real time outdoors. I suggest this is the reason that Chuck Shumer and his buddies on the Hill don't think americans really care about pork. He hasn't spent much time with many real americans. Only the ones who wish to benefit from the pork.

I believe another reason for this lack of understanding is that career politicians are
    always simply doing whatever is necessary to get re-elected. This constant bid for re-election puts them into postion to dote upon those who provide funding while ignoring real americans. This in my opinion is one of the largest problems with our current system of government.

True funding reform and term limits for congress seem to be two areas of our current system that could only improve matters. Individuals who wish nothing more than to be in a postion to make policy are the last people who should be trusted with the responsibility. Only persons who will reside and work with others who must live with those policies are best suited for the task.

The founding fathers created possibly the greatest system of government imaginable. A system of government were the people truly have the power. A system with a Federal government only as strong as necessary to keep us safe from foreign danger. We have let it morph into something much like the systems found overseas. Systems which have failed.

The fathers never imagined that a free people would willingly move towards a system with less freedom. A system much like the one the original colonies fled from. A system with a direction if not changed will only lead to history repeating itself once more. I'm not a political scientist but I venture to guess that the situations going on right now will be viewed by future historians as a turning point in the american experiment.

(It's amazing what thoughts can be stimulated with a little fresh air, clear sky and a camp fire.)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 7
  2. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,313
    We have had a number of politicians in Oregon that were avid outdoorsmen. The one that most of us rever the most was Governor Tom McCall.

Yes, we are at a turning point in our governments history. But I believe a turning point for the better. Yes, the old idea of the rugged individualist has immense appeal. However, in a nation of 300 million, what each of us does affects the rest. And nobodys freedom extends past where the next persons feet begin. A crude anology is this. 40 people live on a river 400 miles long. Each can piss in the river as he pleases, and it makes no differance, whatsoever. But when 4 million people live along that river, and do that, you no longer have a river, you have an open sewer.

In a very populated nation, we have obligations to the society we live in, and an individualism that ignores those obligations results in the kind of economic debacle that we saw in 29, and may yet see in the very near future.

3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    the idea that only republicans enjoy camping is asinine at best. Hopefully, you were drinking heavily while typing this.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,926
    all people need to be more connected with nature....and yes you are an idiot if you think only repubicans camp...i swear where do they get this stuff...is this what the voices in your head tell you?

5. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,048
    there's "camping" and then there's camping.

You can haul a mobile home around the country and say you're camping.
    You can call yourself an "outdoorsman" and ride around on your noisy 4 wheelers or dirt bikes

or

You can carry a pack with everything you need to live for a couple weeks lace up your boots and hit the trail.

there is nothing like backpacking to teach one the true meaning of self sufficiency or to immerse oneself in the true majesty of wilderness

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  6. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,714
    Camping? Let's go... You bring the tent and I'll bring the beans. You bring the hot dogs and I'll bring the buns and chips. You bring the lantern and I'll bring along some matches. You bring the sleeping bags and I'll bring the pillows. All we need to do is find a place were all the skeeters and ants are!!! I get to sleep on the spot that has the most rocks and roots. You can have the spot that goes downhill. We'll have to make sure it's going to rain too.

I went camping once and while in the middle of the woods and sitting around the campfire, one of my kids came down with the chicken pox! Said he didn't feel well. Put him to bed and continued to drink coffee and tell ghost stories to anybody that would listen. He woke up the next morning with those icky chicken pox things all over him! Mother tossed in the towel on the camping trip.:eek:

7. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I know it's not roughing it as some camping situations but I've always been a huge fan of state parks. I think that there is something inherently American about taking the family camping in a state park. I agree, I don't call RV parking "camping" really.. but, this is a new day in outdoor necessities and, fuck it, air matresses beat sleeping on rocky ground all day long.

some of my best childhood memories were while camping at state parks. If you've never say under the full array of stars while doing some night fishing after a full day of hiking and boating then.. well...

8. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,066
    My deep thoughts when camping are "F*** this sucks!"

9. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Did I miss something? I did not see any reference to party membership here in this OP.

There are everyday people that are republicans and democrats in the masses. The majority running this country has elevated themselves above the people. Both parties are guilty of that. Once someone is a star/politician they now longer live like normal every day people that struggle each day to make ends meet. We have a bunch of corporate types running this country even if it is only by proxy through the vast network of special interest groups and lobbyist. This country was not meant to be a free for all for a select few to become career politicians so they could rule over the masses like kings and queens while getting corporate kickbacks, acting like jet setters and thugs.

10. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    When ever I go to a major metropolitan, I wonder is those who live there ever venture far enough away from the bright lights to enjoy real nature. Not the parks cultivated amid the concrete jungle, but real wilderness under a true dark sky.

I am reminded of a story I read about a huge power outage in Southern California.

All of Los Angeles and the surrounding suburbs were completely dark.

Local radio stations were flooded with calls about a strange silver cloud hovering over the city that appeared to be in floating in space. Was this what was causing the blackout?

Of course the "strange silver cloud" was the Milky Way, a celestial body familiar to all humankind everywhere, in every age since the dawn of recorded history...until recently that is.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009