Deep thoughts while Camping

immto

Return to Freedom
Jun 28, 2009
Danville, IL
Camping
I came to a realization this weekend while camping under the stars at kickapoo. Some of the most simple and natural things in life are the most enjoyable. I doubt many politicians go camping or speak to many that do. I doubt many spend any real time outdoors. I suggest this is the reason that Chuck Shumer and his buddies on the Hill don't think americans really care about pork. He hasn't spent much time with many real americans. Only the ones who wish to benefit from the pork.

I believe another reason for this lack of understanding is that career politicians are
always simply doing whatever is necessary to get re-elected. This constant bid for re-election puts them into postion to dote upon those who provide funding while ignoring real americans. This in my opinion is one of the largest problems with our current system of government.

True funding reform and term limits for congress seem to be two areas of our current system that could only improve matters. Individuals who wish nothing more than to be in a postion to make policy are the last people who should be trusted with the responsibility. Only persons who will reside and work with others who must live with those policies are best suited for the task.

The founding fathers created possibly the greatest system of government imaginable. A system of government were the people truly have the power. A system with a Federal government only as strong as necessary to keep us safe from foreign danger. We have let it morph into something much like the systems found overseas. Systems which have failed.

The fathers never imagined that a free people would willingly move towards a system with less freedom. A system much like the one the original colonies fled from. A system with a direction if not changed will only lead to history repeating itself once more. I'm not a political scientist but I venture to guess that the situations going on right now will be viewed by future historians as a turning point in the american experiment.

(It's amazing what thoughts can be stimulated with a little fresh air, clear sky and a camp fire.)

We have had a number of politicians in Oregon that were avid outdoorsmen. The one that most of us rever the most was Governor Tom McCall.

Yes, we are at a turning point in our governments history. But I believe a turning point for the better. Yes, the old idea of the rugged individualist has immense appeal. However, in a nation of 300 million, what each of us does affects the rest. And nobodys freedom extends past where the next persons feet begin. A crude anology is this. 40 people live on a river 400 miles long. Each can piss in the river as he pleases, and it makes no differance, whatsoever. But when 4 million people live along that river, and do that, you no longer have a river, you have an open sewer.

In a very populated nation, we have obligations to the society we live in, and an individualism that ignores those obligations results in the kind of economic debacle that we saw in 29, and may yet see in the very near future.

the idea that only republicans enjoy camping is asinine at best. Hopefully, you were drinking heavily while typing this.

all people need to be more connected with nature....and yes you are an idiot if you think only repubicans camp...i swear where do they get this stuff...is this what the voices in your head tell you?

there's "camping" and then there's camping.

You can haul a mobile home around the country and say you're camping.
You can call yourself an "outdoorsman" and ride around on your noisy 4 wheelers or dirt bikes

or

You can carry a pack with everything you need to live for a couple weeks lace up your boots and hit the trail.

there is nothing like backpacking to teach one the true meaning of self sufficiency or to immerse oneself in the true majesty of wilderness

Last edited:
Camping? Let's go... You bring the tent and I'll bring the beans. You bring the hot dogs and I'll bring the buns and chips. You bring the lantern and I'll bring along some matches. You bring the sleeping bags and I'll bring the pillows. All we need to do is find a place were all the skeeters and ants are!!! I get to sleep on the spot that has the most rocks and roots. You can have the spot that goes downhill. We'll have to make sure it's going to rain too.

I went camping once and while in the middle of the woods and sitting around the campfire, one of my kids came down with the chicken pox! Said he didn't feel well. Put him to bed and continued to drink coffee and tell ghost stories to anybody that would listen. He woke up the next morning with those icky chicken pox things all over him! Mother tossed in the towel on the camping trip.:eek:

I know it's not roughing it as some camping situations but I've always been a huge fan of state parks. I think that there is something inherently American about taking the family camping in a state park. I agree, I don't call RV parking "camping" really.. but, this is a new day in outdoor necessities and, fuck it, air matresses beat sleeping on rocky ground all day long.

some of my best childhood memories were while camping at state parks. If you've never say under the full array of stars while doing some night fishing after a full day of hiking and boating then.. well...

Did I miss something? I did not see any reference to party membership here in this OP.

There are everyday people that are republicans and democrats in the masses. The majority running this country has elevated themselves above the people. Both parties are guilty of that. Once someone is a star/politician they now longer live like normal every day people that struggle each day to make ends meet. We have a bunch of corporate types running this country even if it is only by proxy through the vast network of special interest groups and lobbyist. This country was not meant to be a free for all for a select few to become career politicians so they could rule over the masses like kings and queens while getting corporate kickbacks, acting like jet setters and thugs.

When ever I go to a major metropolitan, I wonder is those who live there ever venture far enough away from the bright lights to enjoy real nature. Not the parks cultivated amid the concrete jungle, but real wilderness under a true dark sky.

I am reminded of a story I read about a huge power outage in Southern California.

All of Los Angeles and the surrounding suburbs were completely dark.

Local radio stations were flooded with calls about a strange silver cloud hovering over the city that appeared to be in floating in space. Was this what was causing the blackout?

Of course the "strange silver cloud" was the Milky Way, a celestial body familiar to all humankind everywhere, in every age since the dawn of recorded history...until recently that is.

Last edited:

Most never know

Unfortunately, because of the tremendous increase in light pollution over the past quarter century, the majority of our current generation have never seen the night sky in all its grandeur.

In his book "Nightwatch," Canadian astronomer Terrence Dickinson comments that in the aftermath of the predawn 1994 Northridge, California earthquake, electrical power was knocked out over a wide area. Tens of thousands of people in southern California rushed out of their homes, looked up and perhaps for the first time in their lives saw a dark, starry sky.

In the days and weeks that followed, radio stations and observatories in the Los Angeles area received countless phone calls from concerned people who wondered whether the sudden brightening of the stars and the appearance of an eerie silvery cloud (the Milky Way) might have caused the quake.

"Such reaction," notes Dickinson, "can come only from people who have never seen the night sky away from city lights.

I highly reccommend the book Nightwatch to anyone who is interested in learning their way around the night sky. No telescope required. Just your eyes and perhaps later a pair of good 7x35 binoculars is all you really need.

perseids should be coming soom- always a treat!

perseids_movie.gif

When ever I go to a major metropolitan, I wonder is those who live there ever venture far enough away from the bright lights to enjoy real nature. Not the parks cultivated amid the concrete jungle, but real wilderness under a true dark sky.

I am reminded of a story I read about a huge power outage in Southern California.

All of Los Angeles and the surrounding suburbs were completely dark.

Local radio stations were flooded with calls about a strange silver cloud hovering over the city that appeared to be in floating in space. Was this what was causing the blackout?

Of course the "strange silver cloud" was the Milky Way, a celestial body familiar to all humankind everywhere, in every age since the dawn of recorded history...until recently that is.

I have lived, out of economic neccessity, in small cities, Portland and Tacoma, for the last 36 years. And I can well testify that many of the people I know get out into the wilderness quite often.

My wife and I have camped in a tent from about 100 miles south of the artic circle to the Mexican Border. And in every state west of the Missouri River. Here in Oregon we have some empty areas, specifically the South East corner of the state. This is High Desert country, unique in it's own way. About three years ago, we spent four days in this desert, seeing only one other vehicle, that so distant that I could not tell what kind it was. 200 miles of two ruts with 18 inch high sagebrush between them. It was a wonderful experiance.

Another time we were at Jordon Craters, an area like Craters of the Moon, but in Oregon, and larger in extant. It is seldom visited by anyone. Two days there, absolutely no one else in sight for the whole time. The sky was so clear at night that you lost the constelations. Too many stars visible.

By this time next year I should be fully retired, and camping regularly. A bit of prospecting, fishing, hunting, and a lot of hiking just to see what is on the other side of the hill.

We have had a number of politicians in Oregon that were avid outdoorsmen. The one that most of us rever the most was Governor Tom McCall.

Yes, we are at a turning point in our governments history. But I believe a turning point for the better. Yes, the old idea of the rugged individualist has immense appeal. However, in a nation of 300 million, what each of us does affects the rest. And nobodys freedom extends past where the next persons feet begin. A crude anology is this. 40 people live on a river 400 miles long. Each can piss in the river as he pleases, and it makes no differance, whatsoever. But when 4 million people live along that river, and do that, you no longer have a river, you have an open sewer.

In a very populated nation, we have obligations to the society we live in, and an individualism that ignores those obligations results in the kind of economic debacle that we saw in 29, and may yet see in the very near future.

I live in Oregon. I know no one who revers Tom fucking McCall.

Also, idiot, and this is what the city dwellers don't get...if 40 people piss in the river, it sure as shit does affect the people who live downriver. That's why those of us who live outside of Portland don't piss in rivers. Or put our outhouses where they'll seep into the river.

Fucking idiot.

Also, you pissing in the river, and your dogs pissing in the river, are the reason all the water sources have guardia infestations.

But thanks for your moronic contribution on a subject you know nothing about. Go ahead and keep shitting in the water, tardo.

Yes...we don't live in the 18th century anymore, that's for damned sure.

As our world got more complex the dependence we put on our government to help us deal with these changes in the real world lead us to being less free as individuals and as STATES, too.

Some of those changes are, I think, necessary, and many of them are probably simply the nature propensity for those with power to gather unto themselves stilll MORE power.

That's the nature of social power, I fear. It tends to start out rationally enough, but power BEGATS still more power.

Camping
I came to a realization this weekend while camping under the stars at kickapoo. Some of the most simple and natural things in life are the most enjoyable. I doubt many politicians go camping or speak to many that do. I doubt many spend any real time outdoors. I suggest this is the reason that Chuck Shumer and his buddies on the Hill don't think americans really care about pork. He hasn't spent much time with many real americans. Only the ones who wish to benefit from the pork.

I believe another reason for this lack of understanding is that career politicians are
always simply doing whatever is necessary to get re-elected. This constant bid for re-election puts them into postion to dote upon those who provide funding while ignoring real americans. This in my opinion is one of the largest problems with our current system of government.

True funding reform and term limits for congress seem to be two areas of our current system that could only improve matters. Individuals who wish nothing more than to be in a postion to make policy are the last people who should be trusted with the responsibility. Only persons who will reside and work with others who must live with those policies are best suited for the task.

The founding fathers created possibly the greatest system of government imaginable. A system of government were the people truly have the power. A system with a Federal government only as strong as necessary to keep us safe from foreign danger. We have let it morph into something much like the systems found overseas. Systems which have failed.

The fathers never imagined that a free people would willingly move towards a system with less freedom. A system much like the one the original colonies fled from. A system with a direction if not changed will only lead to history repeating itself once more. I'm not a political scientist but I venture to guess that the situations going on right now will be viewed by future historians as a turning point in the american experiment.

(It's amazing what thoughts can be stimulated with a little fresh air, clear sky and a camp fire.)

Absolutely. I spend alot of time Backpacking in the Yosemite High Country. There is nothing like it. ~BH

Forum List

Back