Deep sea fishing

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
I know there must be some fishing experts out there who can advise me on saltwater fishing. I am particularly interested in fishing from a boat in coastal waters for stripers. I recently purchased a boat that came equipped with outriggers and such but have no idea how to use them. The only fishing I have experienced is freshwater and that was many many moons ago.

Thanks.

I keep my boat up in Casco Maine near Brunswick. I only mentioned the outriggers because the boat I purchased came equipped with them.

Am I correct in assuming that striper fishing is similar to freshwater bass fishing? What size tackle do you use? What seems to be the most effective method?

Sheesh, so many questions!

In Texas they have successfully stocked stripers in freshwater lakes. We use finders to determine how deep the school are and set the downriggers about 5-10' higher since stripers tend to rise to the bait. I guess the lure would depend on what they naturally feed on there. We use baits that imitate shad as that is the predominate food source for the stripers here. Large white bucktail jigs work also.---Good luck!
I agree with SE on the line

Sounds like a plan. I will be trying to catch some stripers this weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I have not done any fishing at all in many years though as a young man I used to love trout fishing. One of my goals in life is to learn flyfishing as well.

I agree with dillo and SE on all fronts. We also use downriggers in a freshwater lake for strippers. Depending on the time of year we use live shad (mostly winter) or any number of jigs or artificials during warmer weather. The outriggers may be on the boat for someone that needed to get deep to the fish. Good luck and post us some pics. There are some fishing junkies (including me) that would love to see them.

If you find the time learn how to fly fish. Trout dont live in ugly places!!!

CSM, I am..or was until I moved down to Va an avid Striper fisherman. Since I didnt have a boat I was a beach fisherman. There are many options opened to you. You can get a basic setup from Sports Authority, say a 7 foot medium action with 15 - 20 lb test or you can go for a "boat" pole, shorter and stronger. They are used for jigging. (Basically just bouncing the lure up and down).
The 7 foot would be used to cast the lures. Some I recommend are Rebels, Storm Eyes, Yazuri, bucktails and Crazy Dicks. (Mostly for stripers) One of the most time honored lure is the Hopkins. You can catch almost anything on that lure. You can cast, jig or troll with it.
Like SE said..bait is always the best way to go. I am particularily (sp??) of fresh clams. They in my opinion always work the best. You can use a simple 3 way bottom rig. 3 way rig You can also use eel, bunker, crab and whole squid.
Another REALLY good method is live lining. You catch your own bunker and put it on a hook, then let it swim out on its own. When there is a fish after it...you will know. :D Lots of fun!

I dont know much about trolling so here is a link to an ok striper page: Trolling for Stripers

If you need any help learning I will be willing to come help you out anyway I can! :D HAHAHA

Feel free to email or PM me any questions you have.

Oh yeah...fly fishing isnt as hard as you think. Pick up a rod and just practice at a small lake or pond for bluegills to get you started. I have been having alot of fun with them this year.

Tight lines.

Caught my first striper. Used a mackarel jig in about 12 feet of water, 2 hours off High Tide. I was pretty happy as this also turned out to be the biggest catch of the day as well.

Originally posted by CSM
Caught my first striper. Used a mackarel jig in about 12 feet of water, 2 hours off High Tide. I was pretty happy as this also turned out to be the biggest catch of the day as well.

Nice boat! Fish ain't bad either!

Thanks guys. I love my boat and I love being out on the water. Fishing just adds even more to thje pleasure!

Forum List

Back