Decoding the World’s Largest Volcano

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Latest-3D-image-processed-by-John-Greene-showing-a-large-seamount-on-Tamu-Massif.-Photo-credit_-SOI_John-Greene1.jpg

The object of interest is the Tamu Massif in the western Pacific Ocean, a New Mexico-sized bump in the oceanic crust that constitutes the world’s largest volcano. This superlative was only bestowed in 2013, when the enormous feature was declared a single structure; the recency of the finding highlights the inherent difficulty of even the most sweeping reconnaissance, when done underwater.

I wonder how it compares to the Yellowstone Caldera. Read the story @ Decoding the World's Largest Volcano - The Extremo Files

Nice find.. This one is a strata or cone volcano. Very different than a mid plate volcano like Yellowstone.. Not sure what its VEI is capable of. Off to read more about it..

So, with the first round of magnetic data suggesting a MOR-style bidirectional spreading and regional morphology pointing toward a radial shield volcano, Sager sees the schizophrenic volcano as “a sort of Jekyll and Hyde situation”. With the most recent expedition’s magnetic maps, answers may be forthcoming. One important piece of the equation may have been overlooked in the reductive MOR vs. shield debate: the presence of a tectonic triple junction, where three plates meet. Here, even “traditional” MOR eruptions could take on an unusual morphology, and regional-scale crustal thinning could allow for a more substantial lava reservoir.

Interesting; A shield volcano at a triple junction or plate boundary. So just like Hawaii's Mauna-Loa it oozes continuously. With its reservoir very near surface it would not generally be an explosive eruption. This is going to be one to watch and read about...

C'mon. I only posted it to inform. Not start a spat over.
Ignore the hairball.. Had it read any of the information, it would have found out that it is indeed oozing like Mauna Loa and has been for a very long time.

I for one like to research these findings. It allows me to look and see how the earth works long term.

[QUOTE="Billy_Bob, post: 12880030, member: 50952"
What kind of fool thinks that any volcano is truly extinct?
[/QUOTE]

Volcanoes that have moved away from their hotspots. Examine the Hawaiian chain. There are a dozen old volcanoes there that will never erupt again.

Latest-3D-image-processed-by-John-Greene-showing-a-large-seamount-on-Tamu-Massif.-Photo-credit_-SOI_John-Greene1.jpg

The object of interest is the Tamu Massif in the western Pacific Ocean, a New Mexico-sized bump in the oceanic crust that constitutes the world’s largest volcano. This superlative was only bestowed in 2013, when the enormous feature was declared a single structure; the recency of the finding highlights the inherent difficulty of even the most sweeping reconnaissance, when done underwater.

I wonder how it compares to the Yellowstone Caldera. Read the story @ Decoding the World's Largest Volcano - The Extremo Files

Yellowstone is so disturbing I can't even read about it anymore. Last time I was foolish enough to do so it was doing all the things indicative of an impending eruption. Earthquake swarms, ground uplift, etc. Scary. If it cooks off we're all done. Volcanic winter, assuming we're not buried under meters of ash first. All plants in the northern hemisphere will die, and with them all our food. No air travel. Lower-48 will be uninhabitable.

Yellowstone is calm, shows no sign of erupting, and even if it did, it would be a mild little thing. Yellowstone hysteria is now generally just used to deflect attention away from actual problems.

The problem with ALL volcanoes, just like the tectonic plates is - WE CAN'T PREDICT WHAT THEY WILL DO.

(Of course, animals seem to sense when an earthquake is coming. The Chumash of California would watch the animals and say that the turtle supporting the world had to scratch an itch.

While I would not bet on any Yellowstone eruption being minor, there is at present no signs of an impending eruption. Certainly it will erupt in the near future, say, within the next 50,000 years. Remember, we are talking geology.

The problem with ALL volcanoes, just like the tectonic plates is - WE CAN'T PREDICT WHAT THEY WILL DO.

(Of course, animals seem to sense when an earthquake is coming. The Chumash of California would watch the animals and say that the turtle supporting the world had to scratch an itch.
We don't have enough information to predict every type of volcano, however, we did a pretty good job on Pinotubo.

Forum List

Back