Declining moral values

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans are three times more likely to describe the current state of moral values in the United States as "poor" than as "excellent" or "good." Americans' assessment of U.S. morality has never been positive, but the current ratings rank among the worst Gallup has measured over the past nine years.

Additionally, Gallup's annual poll on moral values, conducted May 3-6, finds 76% of Americans saying moral values in the United States are getting worse; while 14% say they are getting better. Last year saw a slight improvement in these attitudes -- with 21% saying values were getting better -- but opinion has since reverted to near 2006-2008 levels.

6gkz7h6miemxjcsgchsjya.gif

Teen pregnancy may be #19 on the list - but I believe it is a significant factor in at least half of all the others.

What say you?

Ditto. My 20 year old son says he can never see himself getting married, but he thinks he'd make a great "baby daddy". He loves to see my skin crawl. lol

It's interesting to talk with younger teachers who graduated from our high school only a few years ago. Even they say they can't believe how kids have changed. They sound just like us veterans.

I think people want to fix moral values, but they want other people to do it. They don't bother fixing them in their own life.

How many times have you done honest evaluations to how well you are following your moral values?

Have you even established what moral values you have?

How do you actively try to live by them?

I hate the "declining morals" argument. THere has always been crimes, rape, pediphilia, etc, its just now with 24/7 news, you hear about everything. I don't think there is drastic rises in these things.

Disrespect with children and people, yeah, that's likely increased from back in the day. But there is less gay bashing, less racism and discrimination, less sexual harassment and other mistreatment of people going on than in the past, in which many people want to pretend it was the good old days, which is complete fairy tales. But as population grows and there is more and more anonymity, that's what tends to happen in humans.

And then there is the fact that 2 spouses have to work full time to get by, the kids are being raised in daycare, and its harder and more stressful to work and make ends meat. That can wear on anybody.

Teen pregnancy may be #19 on the list - but I believe it is a significant factor in at least half of all the others.

What say you?

that is based on the percentage of people who said that morals are getting worse. but what percentage of people asked actually said that?

there have always been teen pregnancies. now girls have options though. they can have an abortion or have the baby and raise it or give it up for adoption. years ago, they would have been sent "away" until after the baby was born. I think THAT is immoral.

Now women can get cops to make an arrest if they are abused. I think that is MORE moral.

coca cola used to be made with cocaine and there have always been drugs.

And now when a guy and girl sleep together, no one is running around talking about her anymore... because no one cares...she's being held to the same standard as him.

is there a 'girls gone wild' thing going on among young kids that needs to be put in check. probably.... but is it any worse than 40-some-odd years ago?

I think the whole societal decline issue is a non-issue set up by holier-than-thou types.

Last edited:
PHHTTTTT.....

Respect for "moral values" cannot happen until respect for authority is understood.

Administrators try to prevent a Riot at a High School, and parents, the media, and almost all USMB membership call for them to be fired.

And then we wonder why moral values are declining?

Because there is NO RESPECT FOR AUTHORITY, and anyone who "Has" authority is punished for using it, all values are declining.

I think a lot of people that bring up the "declining morals" are just bitter white christians that can't force people to live by their standards and morals and push them around like they had for much of the history of this country

And now when a guy and girl sleep together, no one is running around talking about her anymore... because no one cares...she's being held to the same standard as him.

I care.

Please PM here phone number and address.

is there a 'girls gone wild' thing going on among young kids that needs to be put in check. probably.... but is it any worse than 40-some-odd years ago?

I think the whole societal decline issue is a non-issue set up by holier-than-thou types.

Indeed, those damned "holier-than-thou types."

DISGUSTING!!!

Why is it all we focus on with 'declining values' is teen pregnancy? How about prioritizing values? Let's start with not killing and work back from there.

I think people want to fix moral values, but they want other people to do it. They don't bother fixing them in their own life.

How many times have you done honest evaluations to how well you are following your moral values?

Have you even established what moral values you have?

How do you actively try to live by them?

I try to every second of my life. But I know I am not perfect. I have to look in the mirror everyday and ask myself, did what I say or what I did, make a positive difference in someones life

'Declining Moral Values' just begs a defintion.

Anything measure by polls or casual observation means very little.

Does this mean people evil ?

We have stopped making children the center of American life.

They are repaying us with not having OUR morals the center of their lives.

:clap2:

In your own weird little way, you occasionally make sense.

If this country cared about kids we would educate them as a top priority.

Instead we have turned our schools into HUGE prison like schools where no one knows the kids personally and they are treated like little budding criminals.

We scream about how bad the schools are and call any real attempt to fix them "throwing money at the problem".

Be willing to pay the taxes it takes to make our schools the envy of the world they once were.

THEY HAVE TO BE SMALLER WITH MORE TEACHERS AND LESS ADMINISTRATION.

We have stopped making children the center of American life.

They are repaying us with not having OUR morals the center of their lives.

Instead we have turned our schools into HUGE prison like schools where no one knows the kids personally and they are treated like little budding criminals.

We scream about how bad the schools are and call any real attempt to fix them "throwing money at the problem".

Be willing to pay the taxes it takes to make our schools the envy of the world they once were.

Like church schools ?

Like church schools ?

You're encouraging her.

She should really stop while she's ahead.

Like church schools ?

You're encouraging her.

She should really stop while she's ahead.

TM is undeterrable in whatever it is she's trying to prove. :cool:

church schools can kick out anyone they want to kick out, NO NOT LIKE CHURCH SCHOOLS!

Like the schools we used to have back when we were the best in the world.

Smaller with better paid teachers and need for fewer administrators who suck all the money out of the system with their big salaries.

Forum List

Back