Decline of the American Empire

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Has it begun? If so, when? The USA has been an exceptionally fortunate country in that it was created by a group of selfless individuals who used their best efforts to create a unique form of representative democracy. The new country was then able to expand across the continent thru fortuitous historical events (Louisiana Purchase and Alaska) and dominance over weak neighbors (Mexico and Hawaii). Having survived a bloody civil war, it became the world's greatest industrial power after two victorious world wars and was able to economically destroy its nemesis, the Soviet Union in the 1980's.

The question at hand is whether the USA has seen its best days as the world's dominant superpower. Many people believe that, by the end of this century, it will have been surpassed by China and perhaps Germany, who has now completed the absorption of its previously occupied eastern half of that country. Current projections cast substantial doubt on whether the U.S. economy can keep up with our population growth, thus portending a gradual reduction in our standard of living.

I would argue that, with the demise of the Soviet Union and commensurate increase in U.S. military power, 1990 stands as the pinnacle of the American Empire. Like it or not, we were respected by our friends, feared by our adversaries and we enjoyed an unparalleled standard of living.

Since that time we have been cannibalizing our military and living on borrowed money largely created by the housing boom. The subsequent decade saw the worldwide growth of radical Islam, culminating in the 9/11 attacks in 2001 which continue to cost our economy trillions of dollars. In addition to two costly foreign wars, the following decade saw the beginning effects of the retiring Baby Boomer generation with all of its associated demands on government programs, followed by the bursting of the U.S. housing bubble and its worldwide economic ramifications.

It seems that the best we can expect in the future is a slow, comfortable descent into mediocrity. Historically, this was probably the best time to be living in the Roman Empire. What say you?

Yes. We are in decline. The globalization of industry and labor has made the world one very small place. When companies can ship their ops overseas, and make the same product for 1/5 the price of labor...they do it. When we send aid to build schools in shithole nations, we enable them to build a workforce that can someday build Ipads for 1/10th what a person in California can do it for. THAT is why corporations support foreign aid. Its an investment. Its why they support wars with a subsequent nation-building. Its an investment.

In 500 years, there wont be any superpowers. There likely wont be more than 2-4 governing bodies in the whole world. Kids in India will grow up much the same as kids in Indiana. However good, or bad, that may be.

Has it begun? If so, when? The USA has been an exceptionally fortunate country in that it was created by a group of selfless individuals who used their best efforts to create a unique form of representative democracy. The new country was then able to expand across the continent thru fortuitous historical events (Louisiana Purchase and Alaska) and dominance over weak neighbors (Mexico and Hawaii). Having survived a bloody civil war, it became the world's greatest industrial power after two victorious world wars and was able to economically destroy its nemesis, the Soviet Union in the 1980's.

The question at hand is whether the USA has seen its best days as the world's dominant superpower. Many people believe that, by the end of this century, it will have been surpassed by China and perhaps Germany, who has now completed the absorption of its previously occupied eastern half of that country. Current projections cast substantial doubt on whether the U.S. economy can keep up with our population growth, thus portending a gradual reduction in our standard of living.

I would argue that, with the demise of the Soviet Union and commensurate increase in U.S. military power, 1990 stands as the pinnacle of the American Empire. Like it or not, we were respected by our friends, feared by our adversaries and we enjoyed an unparalleled standard of living.

Since that time we have been cannibalizing our military and living on borrowed money largely created by the housing boom. The subsequent decade saw the worldwide growth of radical Islam, culminating in the 9/11 attacks in 2001 which continue to cost our economy trillions of dollars. In addition to two costly foreign wars, the following decade saw the beginning effects of the retiring Baby Boomer generation with all of its associated demands on government programs, followed by the bursting of the U.S. housing bubble and its worldwide economic ramifications.

It seems that the best we can expect in the future is a slow, comfortable descent into mediocrity. Historically, this was probably the best time to be living in the Roman Empire. What say you?

There are still Great and Selfless Americans but I get the feeling their giving up hope...

I view America as a stopgap entity which holds back for better or worse the global tidal level of absolute anarchy. When or if America falls, her collapse will be rapid and violent. The moment Her stopgap capability slips far enough to be peceived by other world powers, the jackals will pounce and rive. Stated less dramatically, I think that as long as the illusion of American global dominance passes international scrutiny, She will stand against most external threats. Domestic read internal threats are a different set of problems but I think our house of cards will remain intact for some time to come.

Yes. We are in decline. The globalization of industry and labor has made the world one very small place. When companies can ship their ops overseas, and make the same product for 1/5 the price of labor...they do it. When we send aid to build schools in shithole nations, we enable them to build a workforce that can someday build Ipads for 1/10th what a person in California can do it for. THAT is why corporations support foreign aid. Its an investment. Its why they support wars with a subsequent nation-building. Its an investment.

In 500 years, there wont be any superpowers. There likely wont be more than 2-4 governing bodies in the whole world. Kids in India will grow up much the same as kids in Indiana. However good, or bad, that may be.

Given the demonstrated inability of most of the world to maintain democratic institutions, this is not a very comforting scenario.

Is it not horrifying that the term 'empire' is used in relation to the US and accepted by almost everyone?

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Is it not horrifying that the term 'empire' is used in relation to the US and accepted by almost everyone?

There will always be an 800 lb. gorilla.

When he tuckers out, the 600 lb. gorilli run him off and then fight it out amongst themselves as to who gets to dominate, get the best food and become the new 800 lber that gets to breed with all the lady gorilli.

Law of the jungle.

How many "protectorates" do we have?
How many non US located military bases?
Compare this to other countrys in the world.

Empire is a pretty fitting term.

How many "protectorates" do we have?
How many non US located military bases?
Compare this to other countrys in the world.

Empire is a pretty fitting term.

Note that nothing was conjectured about the appropriateness of the noun, only that it should horrify us that the nation supposedly based on liberty and democracy should refer to itself that way.

Last edited:
The American Empire was strong when they used us Black people to build it up.

It only became a shithole rat's nest after the powers the be decided that Black people shouldn't be allowed to partake in what they built up and instead allowed the rice patty eatin Japs and wacko Muslim turds to move in and "buck the line" on prosperity.

You might call it fair, but I like to call it Cointelpro.

So You get what you asked for America. You can't wash your hands with shit and expect them to smell like Dawn afterwards.

Reap what you have sown. You've sown evil and iniquity in the world and against God's people and now the sames ones you dumped evil upon (Japs-Hiroshima, Arabs-Middle East meddlings) are now dumping the shit back on you.

How does it feel?

If America is on its last leg I nominate people as the primary cause.
If the world is on its last leg I nominate people as the primary cause.
We the people never measured up to what we were capable of doing with what we had.
Instead of using our talents to eradicate disease we made wars.
Instead of....

Yes, we're in decline, but I'm not convinced that's a horrible thing. For example, does it mean...

... that we'll stop sticking our nose in the business of other countries because we think we're special?
... that we'll stop thinking that it's our God-given right to buy more toys than we could ever need as we chase happiness?
... that we'll spend less money and time partying and maybe more time with our families?
... that we'll have to settle for a 42-inch big screen instead of a 72-inch big screen?
... that our priorities will have to change from vulgar, conspicuous consumerism to prudence and humility?

If that's as bad as it gets, I can live with that. The decline doesn't concern me as much as the amount and the nature of the decline.

Has it begun? If so, when? The USA has been an exceptionally fortunate country in that it was created by a group of selfless individuals...

STOP! Do Not Pass GO! Education fail.

The rest of the OP contained so many imbecilic statements it's horrific to see so many other morons here @ USMB following along with it with thanks and imbecilic supportive statements

Last edited:
We the people never measured up to what we were capable of doing with what we had.
Instead of....

If you wanna blame the people, start with yourself.

Instead of....

and then you....and we have a plan

Instead of....

and then you....and we have a plan

Nope. next is the clown standing next to you, THEN you have a plan. get to it. :clap2:

Forum List

Back