Declaring English as the national language does it effect illegal immgration?

There were several entry level positions I applied for, and although I satisfy all the requirement except you guessed it, being bilingual as Spanish being a second language I did not qualify or at least passed up due to the demographics of the people my hospital deals with. This got me thinking on a wide range of issues regarding illegal immigration, which leads me to not support illegal immigrants whether from Mexico or Africa, nor give any immigrants who come here amnesty.

I currently work at a hospital in southern California which services everyone and majority of our clients are of latino descent. Majority speak english as a second language and majority have no social security number. What bothers me is that American society caters to illegal immigrants from employing grass cutters to, housekeepers I personally feel that we are all guilty in some way but I wonder if making English as the nation's main language would change illegal immigration?

I doubt it.

Unless that law was actually used to PUNISH those who do not speak English.

But if one wants to apply for US citizenship?

THEN I do believe that part of the test ought to be to test if one has at least a minimum ability to speak English.

Yeah yeah, I know my liberal chums think me a xenophobe for thinking this way.

Tough.

Having a common language is an important feature of having a viable society, so I think its important (in the case of people seeking citizenship in this nation) to be able to converse with the rest of our citizens.

But if one wants to apply for US citizenship?

THEN I do believe that part of the test ought to be to test if one has at least a minimum ability to speak English.

It already is part of the test.

Most states have english as their official language. I prefer to leave it to them.

Actually they don’t – again, un-Constitutional. See: Ruiz v. Hull

They may say English is their ‘official language,’ but they’re still required to provide forms in other languages for residents to conduct official business, as wall as provide interpreter services when needed.

What is this "masters...student"? Have you completed the degree or not?

Yes. I sometimes have a tendency of saying I am a masters student unconsciously. so yes I completed my masters work (thesis-written and oral and all).

You don't type things "unconsciously." So, did they hand you the damn piece of paper or not?

The ceremonial yes but I have 1 week to pick the actual thing up.

Yeah, I don't think you have any legal grounds. A company has the right to set minimum requirements for a job then change them according to the resumes they receive. In this case, it looks like they had to choose between the degree and the bilingual ability and they chose the latter. It's a bummer, but companies have the right to place high priorities on anything the potential employees have control over. I once received a job over a more qualified applicant because I "had good karma."

Also, you should stop acting like this is language discrimination. First, he speaks two languages and you speak only one. That's a clear advantage to him. Second, the idea of language discrimination is ridiculous. Could the other guy argue education discrimination if they hired you?

I don't think you get it. You cant require a 4 year degree and want someone with a background in psychology but interview someone with a GED and has only experience in medical records. That is like a hospital hiring a chef with a degree in culinary arts to be its CEO

Yeah, I don't think you have any legal grounds. A company has the right to set minimum requirements for a job then change them according to the resumes they receive. In this case, it looks like they had to choose between the degree and the bilingual ability and they chose the latter. It's a bummer, but companies have the right to place high priorities on anything the potential employees have control over. I once received a job over a more qualified applicant because I "had good karma."

Also, you should stop acting like this is language discrimination. First, he speaks two languages and you speak only one. That's a clear advantage to him. Second, the idea of language discrimination is ridiculous. Could the other guy argue education discrimination if they hired you?

I don't think you get it. You cant require a 4 year degree and want someone with a background in psychology but interview someone with a GED and has only experience in medical records. That is like a hospital hiring a chef with a degree in culinary arts to be its CEO

It's not up to you to tell a prospective employer what they "can't" do. It is up to them to decide what skills and qualifications are most applicable to the position. Stop whining and go apply somewhere else.

It's not up to you to tell a prospective employer what they "can't" do. It is up to them to decide what skills and qualifications are most applicable to the position. Stop whining and go apply somewhere else.

I have applied elsewhere but the fact of the matter is....well.....its logic....Ah nevermind logic is foreign here.

I have applied elsewhere but the fact of the matter is....well.....its[sic] logic....Ah nevermind logic is foreign here.

Yeah, another foreign language you don't speak.

Hey, know what would be fun? If you told us about your degrees again. I mean, it's been at least 0.03 seconds since the last time. You don't want anyone to forget, do you?

Most states have english as their official language. I prefer to leave it to them.

Actually they don’t – again, un-Constitutional. See: Ruiz v. Hull

They may say English is their ‘official language,’ but they’re still required to provide forms in other languages for residents to conduct official business, as wall as provide interpreter services when needed.

it's their official language, the same way they have state birds and tress and flags. Having the state pick an offical lanague( which most have) doesn't alter their duty to provide other languages when necessary.

I have applied elsewhere but the fact of the matter is....well.....its[sic] logic....Ah nevermind logic is foreign here.

Hey, know what would be fun? If you told us about your degrees again. I mean, it's been at least 0.03 seconds since the last time. You don't want anyone to forget, do you?

UNDERGRADUATE dEGREE-

1) Philosophy (emphasis on logic)

2) Psychology (emphasis on neuropsychology)

Post Graduate

1) Behavioral Neuropsychology

UNDERGRADUATE dEGREE-

Post Graduate

1) Whose work did you copy to skate by that one? Because...

2) That explains the crippling insecurity.

1) Searching for a cure?

Good luck.

UNDERGRADUATE dEGREE-

Post Graduate

1) Searching for a cure?

Good luck.

I see you're looking to be hostile...On that note good day

UNDERGRADUATE dEGREE-

Post Graduate

1) Searching for a cure?

Good luck.

I see you're looking to be hostile...On that note good day

What? You don't want to tell us more about your degrees and stuff? Aw, c'mon! It was so interesting!

I have applied elsewhere but the fact of the matter is....well.....its logic....Ah nevermind logic is foreign here.

Logic would dictate that you learn to speak spanish. Apparently, it would be of more value to the employer than the degree you just completed.

How so? Care to elaborate further on your comment?

Simply declaring English the official national language would not remove the reasons why illegal immigrants come here. And there are a great many US citizens and legal residents who speak Spanish as their primary means of communication. There are also many companies that do business internationally and have specific language needs for certain positions. The reason why biligualism in Spanish and English was a requirement for the position for which you applied would not magically go away if English were formally made the official national language.

Well I just heard someone who is not a college graduate (which according to the application the job requires a 4 year degree) yet has a G.E.D but if profficient in both Spanish and English recently got an interview....Go figure and I don't have a case for discrimination?

No. It would be a bonafide job breaker if you couldn't speak the language of business partners. If I were you, I would enroll myslef into a course and learn Spanish pronto. It would make yourself more marketable the more languages you know. To ensure you are proficient in the language, spend time in Spanish areas where you could practice the language.

Last edited:
So far nobody has not explained the issue regarding a girl with only a GED who is applying for a psychology based job with no experience, no four year degree is able to land an interview? Hello! The department director is latino, the young lady that applied is latina, and her background is in medical records. The department is asking for people with experience dealing with patients with psychiatric issues. According to my talks with her, the extent of her experience with people who have psychiatric issues is.....there is none. She is completely green.

I'll just wait on the legal counselor's response in the meantime.

The "legal counselor" will tell you to go shit in a hat, unless he's got you pegged as an arrogant dope he can squeeze a few bucks from.

You need to stop bitching and go look somewhere else for a job. Maybe one you are actually qualified for this time.

Actually quite the opposite. He said I have a good recent to make an issue. However its not worth the time. Not sure how arrogance is the issue since I am more qualified than some GED recipient but ok.

On another not kind of hypocritical that folks talk about illegals taking jobs and whine all day yet don't support hardworking Americans who are actually out there looking and who are qualified.

Last edited:
Ah, "not worth the time." :rolleyes:

The unavoidable fact is that you were clearly not qualified for the position based on the qualifications that the employer quite obviously valued highest.

Why waste a minute agonizing over this when you are clearly qualified for other positions? Go apply for those. They probably pay a lot more anyway.

Forum List

Back