Declare Victory and Leave Iraq...

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
“Midwestern towns sour on the war as death toll mounts “
by John Aravosis
Americablog.com

“I hate to say 'I told you so' when the stakes are so grave, but when is a better time to do so? Anyone who voted for Bush the second time, and continued to support this disaster of a war, has to accept the consequences of their actions. You supported an idiot, you supported a disaster, and you supported a political party that is nothing more than patriotic slogans surrounded by death. Actions have consequences.”… More from the Wash Post:

Midwest Towns Sour on War as Their Tolls Mount

By Peter Slevin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, July 14, 2007

TIPTON, Iowa -- This farming town in Cedar County buried Army Spec. Aaron Sissel during the Iraq war's ninth month. It buried Army Spec. David W. Behrle during the 51st. Along the way, as a peaceable community's heart sank, its attitude toward President Bush and his Iraq strategy turned more personal and more negative…..snip

The town, by all accounts, once gave Bush the benefit of the doubt for a war he said would make America safer and a mission he said was accomplished four years before Behrle died. But funeral by funeral, faith in the president and his project to remake Iraq is ebbing away…..snip

There's more unity in the opposition now," said Braley, whose district adjoins Tipton. "It was always easier to find optimists about the chances of success in Iraq two years ago. You don't now find people talking that way, even the most ardent supporters of the president's policy."

Retired electrician Bob Peck voted twice for Bush. The first time, in 2000, Democrat Al Gore defeated Bush in Cedar County by two votes, 4,033 to 4,031. Peck would not vote for him again, even if he could.

The war and the way he's handled it. We've lost too many boys," said Peck, 71, a former Marine, as he sipped a drink at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2537. "We've been there long enough, and it's not doing anything. It doesn't look like it will."

continued

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/13/AR2007071302017.html?hpid=topnews

Wise, and realistic words by General Powell:

COLIN POWELL, July 2007: “I tried to avoid this war…I took him (Bush) through the consequences of going into an Arab country and becoming the occupiers.”

“The civil war will ultimately be resolved by a test of arms…It’s not going to be pretty to watch, but I don’t know any way to avoid it. It is happening now.”

“It is not a civil war that can be put down or solved by the armed forces of the United States.” All the military can do, Powell suggested, is put “a heavier lid on this pot of boiling sectarian stew”.

“We have to face the reality of the situation that is on the ground and not what we would want it to be.”

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1862740/posts?page=69

Forum List

Back