Declaration of Independence

noxno2

Rookie
Apr 13, 2015
what are the main themes of the declaration of independence? what are the strengths and weaknesses of the document? why is it important to us as Americans today? does it have any importance? i feel like everyone should read it and have a basic understanding of it and its themes and its consequences. only me?

what are the main themes of the declaration of independence? what are the strengths and weaknesses of the document? why is it important to us as Americans today? does it have any importance? i feel like everyone should read it and have a basic understanding of it and its themes and its consequences. only me?

1. One of the key themes I find is
"consent of the governed"

To me that is the Spirit of the Constitution.
Intriguing that this is not literally in the Constitution or its Amendments, but spelled out in the Founding Documents.

Without "consent of the governed" the letter of the law can be twisted out of context and abused for oppression, corruption and tyranny by political conflicts of interest.

It's like the key to understanding the very nature of law and government with relation to human conscience and social development.

2. Two, the very process of penning collective grievances, petitioning and reforming govt is monumental and speaks for itself.

When people learn how much power we have as human beings, to be able to express our rights, laws and contracts collectively, and establish them by agreement, that is the very crux of what humanity is supposed to master in order to achieve lasting peace and justice.

That democratic process is what America is about, with freedom of speech, and of the press, and the right peaceably to assemble and to petition EACH OTHER for redressing grievances. We are the government. We share this collectively responsibility.

3. Lastly the connection in spirit between generations that shows the progression from where we were historically, with dependence on slavery, to where we are today trying to break away from the chains of the past.

Instead of tearing down this foundation for its flaws, we can use the enduring principles to build, reform and perfect the democratic process.

This part is yet to be written. We are shaping history as we speak. I see the state going through a similar "Reformation movement" that the church went through to overcome oppression by corrupted authority, by the people reclaiming the laws and ability to enforce and live by them directly. And now we are going through that process with reclaiming the Constitutional principles and rebuking govt run amok.

Again, we are writing history with the movements going on today, reforms demanded from both the left and the right. Where the key is to work in harmony, unison and agreement, and not in conflict with each other -- the checks and balances written in the Constitution are needed on all levels of the political process.

so we are taking this to the next level.

for future reference. i dont go to school. im just interested. i read it and found this information on my own but getting feedback from what other people say is a great way to learn also. i feel that more people should be informed and should justt be interested in general, as i am.

and pay no attention to the bonehead that was impolite as a response to you !!

that'd be post number 2 'nox' . Just note the name and pretty much ignore it !!

The Declaration of Independence had a purpose, to convince people to support the revolution and to gain an ally, mainly France. As such it is a from of propaganda designed to sway people and countries to its cause. We had already voted independence two days before Jefferson's document was voted on. The Congress and committee made 86 changes eliminating 480 words. One of the questions often asked a history 101 class is why did Jefferson change Locke's life liberty and property to life liberty and pursuit of happiness?

The Declaration of Independence had a purpose, to convince people to support the revolution and to gain an ally, mainly France. As such it is a from of propaganda designed to sway people and countries to its cause. We had already voted independence two days before Jefferson's document was voted on. The Congress and committee made 86 changes eliminating 480 words. One of the questions often asked a history 101 class is why did Jefferson change Locke's life liberty and property to life liberty and pursuit of happiness?
it's kind of hard to be happy with no property. just saying.

Probably because he also read Rousseau...

The Declaration of Independence from British rule by a fledgling pip-squeak bunch of loosely united Colonies was an audacious document and it must have pissed off King George no end. The signers knew it was a dangerous move and there was no going back once they put their mark on the bottom. Franklin said it best "gentlemen we must hang together or surely we will hang separately".

George III probably had little to do with why we separated from England, but Jefferson probably knew that blaming one person, in this case, George lll was, and is, much more effective than blaming a group such as Parliament. Just as we In America probably find it easier and more effective to blame a president than a Congress.

Ask this guy. And shame on anyone who has yet to notice it.

220px-JohnLocke.png

And kind of impossible to be free.

And kind of impossible to be free.
So why did Jefferson change or allow the change to pursuit of happiness?

Our ''Declaration of Independence'' as well as Thomas Paine's ''Common Sense'' provide the ostensible reasons for, and justifications of, the American revolution. A serious historian should not accept them at face value. Jefferson certainly did not believe that ''all men are created equal.'' Slaves were not equal and not included in our struggle for freedom. Women were excluded from voting along with those who did not own property. It is naive to think that the rebels in the colonies were motivated by anything other than protecting American manufacturing, trade, and profits of the New England and middle colonies.

Forum List

Back