Deceptive scare tactics.

If we repeal the stupid federal recreational drug laws, then the chiiiilllldrrreeennnn will be able to buy heroin in school cafeterias!!

I've been saying for years that we can drop the murder rate AND the prison poulation if we'd just repeal murder laws. Quite simple actually.

Is it still a 'scare tactic' if it's true?

Are you trying to say that poster's claims are true?

This from the OP:
"...death panels, government control, cost your grand-children for life, raise you taxes even tho you do not pay any, force you to drop private HC, ration medical care, and the list goes on and on. "

All of the above are legitimate concerns, and true.

If you see the phrase 'scare tactics' as a way to side-step proving that the above are untrue, in other words that the phrase is pejorative, then using the term 'scare tactic' is a 'scare tactic.'

Get it?

If you see the phrase 'scare tactics' as a way to side-step proving that the above are untrue, in other words that the phrase is pejorative, then using the term 'scare tactic' is a 'scare tactic.'

I liken it to someone attempting to refute your claim by labelling you a "racist", "homophobe", "redneck" (pick and adjective). It is the last gasp of an empty argument.

I liken it to someone attempting to refute your claim by labelling you a "racist", "homophobe", "redneck" (pick and adjective). It is the last gasp of an empty argument.

Actually, this sounds a lot like rule #5 from my (apocryphal) “Liberal Libretto”, as ratified by Saul Alinsky:

5. If you find yourself in a debating ‘box,’ where the true answer will sink a liberal talking point, either
a. Claim that the question is ‘above my pay grade.’
b. Look astounded, and claim that the questioner is a racist, sexist or homophobe. Or fascist, or, always good, nazi.
c. Make up any term as opprobrium, as long as it sounds ominous.
d. Learn phrases such as ‘it’s time to move on,” or ‘let’s put this behind us.”
e. If all else fails, shrug your shoulders and say “ I’m only interested in discourse.”

Learn phrases such as ‘it’s time to move on,” or ‘let’s put this behind us.” = "I'm toast."

This from the OP:
"...death panels, government control, cost your grand-children for life, raise you taxes even tho you do not pay any, force you to drop private HC, ration medical care, and the list goes on and on. "

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of what is "legitimate and true." The overwhelming and ever-mounting assemblage of evidence indicates that these are certainly not true and the results of the political tactic of fear-mongering. That's the way I weight the evidence and you are obviously free to weight it differently.

This from the OP:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of what is "legitimate and true." The overwhelming and ever-mounting assemblage of evidence indicates that these are certainly not true and the results of the political tactic of fear-mongering. That's the way I weight the evidence and you are obviously free to weight it differently.
The accusations themselves are in fact true, even though the semantics themselves are a tad hyperbolic.

The real semantic deception is in how we've gone from the honest "socialized medicine" to the more duplicitous "single payer" and "universal" health care, to the total lie of the "public option" fostering "competition and efficiency".

WASHINGTON — Tom Ridge, the first secretary of homeland security, asserts in a new book that he was pressured by top advisers to President George W. Bush to raise the national threat level just before the 2004 election in what he suspected was an effort to influence the vote.

Ridge is just another damn commie liberal.:lol:

The right loves and lives with the overt fear factor. It's all they have now.

I think enough really good examples of fear politics have been produced here to show neither Republicans or Democrats (or probably anyone who has ever sought public support) are above it.

And I think both sides have demonstrated the ability to "block out" their recognition of it, if it suits their purpose.

Last edited:
This from the OP:

I am willing and able to entertain arguments as to the truth of any of the topics mentioned.

Pick your poison.

The accusations themselves are in fact true, even though the semantics themselves are a tad hyperbolic
IMHO - hyberbole is the bread and butter of "scare tactics"
And I'll agree to disagree with you on how much is truth and much is hyperbole.

I think enough really good examples of fear politics have been produced here to show neither Republicans or Democrats (or probably anyone who has ever sought public support) are above it.

And I don't think either side has demonstrated the ability to "block out" their recognition of it, if it suits their purpose.

Although you are correct in phrasing the current political battle in terms of Democrat and Republican, were it up to me I would confine it to whether the healthcare bill is a good one or bad one for the American people.

In the most general terms, but most important to me, are considerations as to whether the bill is individual-based, or geared to be beneficial to the collective.

See where I'm going?

The accusations themselves are in fact true, even though the semantics themselves are a tad hyperbolic

Your post indicates a willingness to consider facts.

My post is an offer to convince you as to the truth of any of the topics mentioned.

Your post indicates a willingness to consider facts.

My post is an offer to convince you as to the truth of any of the topics mentioned.

I have fixed that HORRIBLY misleading sentence so it now reflects what I really meant to say which is: "And I think both sides have demonstrated the ability to "block out" their recognition of it, if it suits their purpose."

Chic - I have absolutely no doubt you would do a magnificient job and provide very compelling evidence to support the "truth" of the claims. And since right now I just don't have the focus, the attention span or the stomach to drill into it all, I have no other honest choice but to surrender, concede defeat, and offer apologizes for any statement I may have previously made to impune the honestly of the claims or those who make them.

Maybe another time - I have no doubt it would be fun and enlightening.

Forum List

Back