DECEMBER 21, 2011 4:00 A.M. The House, Harry Reid, and the Payroll Tax

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Today the House voted to reject a Senate plan for temporarily extending the payroll-tax cut and subsequently moved to recess, and they deserve credit for doing so.

This move does not eliminate the possibility of extending the tax cut, which expires at the end of December: The House previously passed a bill extending the cut for a full year, and that bill is good policy. It doesn’t increase the deficit. It forces a decision on the Keystone XL pipeline. And it’s President Obama’s major year-end priority. So why is the Democratic Senate blocking the bill’s path between Capitol Hill and the White House signing desk, and pushing the bill the House rejected instead?

Because Harry Reid doesn’t like how the House version is paid for. Having failed — not once, but multiple times — to offset the payroll-rate cut with a new surtax on job creators, Senate Democrats were forced to huddle with Republicans to find common ground. What they came up with were enough offsets to fund a 60-day extension, mostly via increased fees on Fannie and Freddie. (This makes a certain amount of sense: Republicans abhor the government-sponsored enterprises, Democrats adore fees.)

The Senate plan, then, was to pass the temporary extension, send it back to the House, and enjoy a lengthy Christmas holiday. The New Year, they seem to believe, will bring with it fresh opportunities to kick the can down the road. But the 60-day extension is both irresponsible and unworkable, and House Republicans were right to hold the line against it, even if it keeps Congress in Washington through these holy nigh

The House, Harry Reid, and the Payroll Tax - The Editors - National Review Online

so the demoncrats were gonna soak the poor old middle class homeowners? :lol:

Excellant. All can see that the GOP wish tax cuts only for the wealthy.

This is going to play very well for 2012.

well that would be lie of course.. but that's what demoncrats dew. they look ewe right in the eye and they lie.. the only difference in the Republicans and the demoncrats is the time frame.. the demoncrats want tax cuts for two months and the Republicans want tax cuts for a full year. so go suck a lemon with yer lies old rocks.

How so....?

....the GOP has a plan on the table right now for a whole one YEAR extension of the payroll tax cuts.......and the Democrats only have a plan for just a measly two months.....

Two months for $166 or a year for $1500

Yup. Lets she how that plays with the taxpayers.

How so....?

....the GOP has a plan on the table right now for a whole one YEAR extension of the payroll tax cuts.......and the Democrats only have a plan for just a measly two months.....

They BOTH want a year. It's just that the Republican measure came with strings attached. How do figure that won't backfire on them? They don't have a good record of making those kinds of plays/ploys work.

Two months for $166 or a year for $1500

Yup. Lets she how that plays with the taxpayers.

also it's a two month fiasco because most file on a quarterly tax basis and this will cause all kinds of headaches for everybody in payroll.....

the GOP proposal is giving Obama the payroll tax cut he was calling for......he's opposing it NOW because he doesn't want the pipeline to go forward........Obama must really want to KILL JOBS.....

:mad:

Last edited:

How so....?

They BOTH want a year. It's just that the Republican measure came with strings attached. How do figure that won't backfire on them? They don't have a good record of making those kinds of plays/ploys work.

You lie. Reids plan calls for two months funded off the backs of the fannie and freddie home owners.

How so....?

Oh so you think Keystone and jobs and spending cuts aren't good attachments??

How so....?

Strings like the keystone pipeline? That shouldn't be a much of a string to have to think about for a President who claims to be serious about job creation and reducing dependence on foreign oil.

I'd like to see the whole thing expire. It was a gimmick to begin with. LEAVE TAXES ALONE AND CUT SPENDING.

A thousand dollars of real money in your pocket at the end of the year is not a gimmick to most Americans. For me that's two months of real rent.

Yes, besides the GOP's inability to field a viable candidate, now they're actually cutting their own throats.

There really is no excuse for Boehner’s flip-flop on this one and I hope the voters don't forget this in 2012.

I'd like to see the whole thing expire. It was a gimmick to begin with. LEAVE TAXES ALONE AND CUT SPENDING.

A thousand dollars of real money in your pocket at the end of the year is not a gimmick to most Americans. For me that's two months of real rent.

Yes, but when you get ready to retire you may have to wait til your 80 to get social security. Is that a good trade off?

How so....?

They're attachments. Never did like omnibus bills. That's how you get a lot of the crap everybody complains about. Whether or not they're good, it's still a ploy. If the Reps are going to play games, don't expect the Dems to go along.

They're attachments. Never did like omnibus bills. That's how you get a lot of the crap everybody complains about. Whether or not they're good, it's still a ploy. If the Reps are going to play games, don't expect the Dems to go along.

you're obstructionists huh? Americans need those jobs but you're going to be stubborn and not let them have those 20 thousand jobs.. way to go demonrats.

I agree with the GOP House on this one, why is the Senate just extending the payroll tax cut for just two months?
Now regarding the Keystone Pipeline, isn't it true that America will not see a drop of oil from this project.
And isn't it true that the amount of Americans who would be employed run under 5,000? The pipeline doesn't pay for the extension of the payroll tax breaks.
If I'm wrong, will someone please correct me.

I agree with the GOP House on this one, why is the Senate just extending the payroll tax cut for just two months?
Now regarding the Keystone Pipeline, isn't it true that America will not see a drop of oil from this project.
And isn't it true that the amount of Americans who would be employed run under 5,000? The pipeline doesn't pay for the extension of the payroll tax breaks.
If I'm wrong, will someone please correct me.

I don't think the number 5,000 is correct but even if it were, that's five thousand jobs we desperately need.

Yes, besides the GOP's inability to field a viable candidate, now they're actually cutting their own throats.

There really is no excuse for Boehner’s flip-flop on this one and I hope the voters don't forget this in 2012.

Boehner's flip-flop....? what about the BO/Dem's flip-flop.....?

Boehner is only reaching hands across the aisle in a bipartisan way.....just doing exactly what BO asked for....but it seems Harry ain't playing that game anymore....

did you know that Nevada (Harry's state) has the HIGHEST unemployment in the nation....?

...but you hope the voters forget Obama's dismal record.

Forum List

Back