Debunking the siren song of 'safe sex'

Hobbit said:
FACT: Latex is pourous. According to the statistics, having sex with a condom with somebody who has HIV only protects you about 5 times out of 6, 9 out of 10 if the condom has absolutely no defects and is used perfectly, a rare occurance. That's the same odds you have of surviving a round of Russian Roullette. These odds are the same with all STDs and with pregnancy protection.

How about a link for this...everything I could find indicates that condoms are nearly 100% effective in preventing the spread of STDs if used consistently and correctly.

Hobbit said:
FACT: There is no perfect birth control. In the book, Sex for Dummies, by Dr. Ruth, it is stated that there has been at least one case where a tube tied woman and a man with a vasectomy made a baby together.
What's that got to do with condoms?

Hobbit said:
FACT: Decades ago, when no contraceptives or disease protection were (widely) available and pregnancies out of wedlock were frowned upon, venerial diseases and unwed pregnancies were far less common than now.

There have always been unwed pregnancies, it's not a new phenomenon. In the good old days, teens engaged in sex before marriage. Most of the time, they were probably each other's first partner. If they were unlucky and became pregnant, the majority would wind up married to each other. So there were less single moms, but lots of 8-month babies.

Hobbit said:
FACT: Parents who choose to teach abstinence only to their children and are sure to explain the possible consequences of extra-marital sex find that their children are far less likely to have STD's and unwanted pregnancy.
Really? Have you seen this? http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=21606

Hobbit said:
FACT: In some school districts, the school board and later the courts have ruled that parents cannot opt their children out of sex ed classes.

I can't find anything on this, have a link?

Hobbit said:
FACT: Most statistics given in sex ed classes are still based on Alfred Kinsey's original survey. This survey was vulgar, and was given at a time when sex was still considered private, meaning that the only people who would answer the questions were such people as prisoners, sex offenders, and prostitutes. Despite this, Kinsey presented his results as if this was an accurate cross section of the general population, which has resulted in the currently used false statistics claiming that a far greater percentage of the population cheats, engages in homosexal activity, or has sexual feelings for children than is actually true. Furthermore, the content of this survey is a closely guarded secret, shielding it from scientific scrutiny. Thus, the entire study is scientifically invalid, yet is still held as gospel at the Kinsey Institute, which still publishes most school sex ed materials. Some schools still require Kinsey Institute certification to teach sex ed. Some of Kinsey's additional writings opine that humans are sexual, "from womb to tomb" and use this belief as a justification for pedophilia.

Again, link please.

MissileMan said:
How about a link for this...everything I could find indicates that condoms are nearly 100% effective in preventing the spread of STDs if used consistently and correctly.

There have always been unwed pregnancies, it's not a new phenomenon. In the good old days, teens engaged in sex before marriage. Most of the time, they were probably each other's first partner. If they were unlucky and became pregnant, the majority would wind up married to each other. So there were less single moms, but lots of 8-month babies.

Really? Have you seen this? http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=21606

Again, link please.

On the abstinence links, I don't know of any sex ed teaching, private schools included that do not cover birth control, yet that is what the 'all but abstinence' are touting:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp...eensexualhealth/fact-abstinence-education.xml

MissileMan said:

Then they were lying to you. Although I'm still looking for a link with the numbers, I didn't just pull those out of my butt. That's straight out of my high school health book. Even the sites I have found are always sure never to say that condoms always prevent pregnancy or disease, they always say it reduces the risk.

Nothing specifically, but its point is to illustrate that no matter what precautions you take, every act of sexual intercourse risks pregnancy.

[/quote]There have always been unwed pregnancies, it's not a new phenomenon. In the good old days, teens engaged in sex before marriage. Most of the time, they were probably each other's first partner. If they were unlucky and became pregnant, the majority would wind up married to each other. So there were less single moms, but lots of 8-month babies.[/quote]

No, it's not new, but it's a lot more common than it is now. If you don't believe me, go ask your grandparents how many of their friends got pregnant before they were married or caught an STD.

Yay, yet another study attempting to discredit abstinence education. This only covers "virginity pledges." Truth is, that's just a fancy ceremony and means nothing without proper education. What I stated is that parents who fully explain sex and its consequences, along with the fact that they will only tolerate abstinence in their children, notice that their children don't usually end up with unwanted pregnancies This is incredibly rare, however, as society considers it futile and idiotic. It might also help if every authority figure in the public school system didn't practically preach that sex was perfectly healthy. Also, look at the raw data in the study. Those who started and ended the program with promises had only a 4.6% occurance of STDs, a full third less than those who didn't have any pledge. I also think their sample size of full-time virginity pledgers was too small, only 777, compared to almost 10,000 with no pledge whatsoever. This leads me to further scrutinize what exactly they meant by someone with a "virginity pledge," as I know for a fact that a much greater percentage of high school students have decided to remain abstinent before marriage.

It was on this message board recently, a court ruling that a parent couldn't opt their children out of sex ed if the school decided that it was required.

Again, link please.

All the stuff you'll never hear the standard sex-ed people say about Kinsey is right here. http://www.cwfa.org/kinsey.asp

The guy was a sick pervert and his degree was in insectology, yet we base our entire system of sex ed on his writings.

Found a link for you. Apparantly, I misquoted my statistics (it has been a few years), yet the 100% figure you quoted is off. This link goes to a 1.2 mb pdf file coving a government study on condoms. I only skimmed through it, and though the conclusion is that condoms drastically reduce the risk of most STDs, especially HIV, and pregnancy, it is 100% ineffective against certain STDs and 3% of couples who used condoms and never experienced breakage, slippaged, or leaks still reported an undesired pregnancy within the first year of use.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/dmid/stds/condomreport.pdf

Hobbit said:
Found a link for you. Apparantly, I misquoted my statistics (it has been a few years), yet the 100% figure you quoted is off. This link goes to a 1.2 mb pdf file coving a government study on condoms. I only skimmed through it, and though the conclusion is that condoms drastically reduce the risk of most STDs, especially HIV, and pregnancy, it is 100% ineffective against certain STDs and 3% of couples who used condoms and never experienced breakage, slippaged, or leaks still reported an undesired pregnancy within the first year of use.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/dmid/stds/condomreport.pdf

From your study:
Summary
The Panel stressed that the absence of definitive conclusions reflected inadequacies of the evidence available and should not be interpreted as proof of the adequacy or inadequacy of the condom to reduce the risk of STDs other than HIV transmission in men and women and gonorrhea in men. To definitely answer the remaining questions about condom effectiveness for preventing STD infections will require well-designed and ethically sound clinical studies.

This study is 5 years old, I wonder if they have conducted these additional studies yet.

Forum List

Back