Debunking the siren song of 'safe sex'

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by -Cp, Jul 22, 2005.

1. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Debunking the siren song of 'safe sex'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: July 22, 2005
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

When it comes to drug abuse, underage drinking and smoking, recent years have seen the arrival of much-needed media campaigns and school programs designed to let kids know flat out: Do not engage. Of course, we still have much to do to curb the use of illicit drugs, but at least most adults are committed to telling kids the behavior is unacceptable.

So why should this rule not apply when it comes to teen sex?

Suddenly, the adults who were so quick, so adamant about condemning drugs, drinking and smoking begin to stammer and look at the floor. Sure, it's not good for teens to be having sex, these adults will allow, but c'mon – they're going to do it anyway. So, they say, let's tell the kids not to do it. But let's also give them some condoms and other birth-control devices and tell them how to use them. You know, just in case.

Read the rest:
    http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45394

2. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    "Do not engage in drug use" is no more effective than "Do not have sex.".

An awful lot of parents are content to go through life with blinders on, saying "My child would never...", when fact of the matter is, they probably are, but the parents are unwilling to admit it, because admitting it means they have to confront it. Having to confront it means their child isn't perfect. Kids are far better at lying these days than parents give them credit for.. Parents will say "My child can't lie to me." Bullshit.

3. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    My kids CAN'T lie to me or my wife... cannot... sorry.. they can't...

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

I haven't heard of any parents who tell thier kids "don't use drugs" then turn around and buy em clean needles--just in case.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yet. :)

6. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Woohoo! You have exposed the hypocrisy, using the best analogy I've seen in a long, long time.

:bow3: :banana: :thewave:

I'm buying you a virtual beer. :beer:

7. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    This would be a really good analogy if the kids were born in possession of drugs. That's one reason why this argument doesn't pass muster. Another reason is that there is no "instinctual" drive to use drugs.

8. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Bullcrap! Like any other negative behavior, proper discipline can prevent it and if you actually try to RAISE your kids, chances are good that they'll grow up with similar values to yours. I'm 22 and told every single day that you can't stop kids from having sex. I've had several opportunites to have sex. In fact, I've been handed some pretty big temptations (I was all but promised a night in bed by a smokin' hot girl if I went with her to this one party), but I have NEVER had sex, nor do I plan to until my wedding night.

Nobody makes excuses for fat people saying that they can't resist their carnal desires to eat. No, they're told to diet, whether they like it or not. So why is sex, an instinct far weaker than hunger, given a free pass?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    :clap:

Sex gets a pass because the carnal minds in this world have to excuse it to make themselves feel better about their kids "doing it"...

In short, it's an easy way to pass the buck of responsibliity of the kids and the parents...

10. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If what you say is true, you are more than likely the exception - NOT the rule.