Debt to Rise to 90% of GDP

Bush's two term increase in the national debt. | The Agonist

When Bush was sworn in on January 20, 2001, the national debt was $5,727,776,738,304.64.

When "W" left office on January 20, 2009, the national debt was $10,626,877,048,913.08.

The growth in the national debt during his eight years in office: $4,899,100,310,608.44.

The average yearly growth in the national debt during Bush's presidency: $612,387,538,826.05.

During much of Bush's tenure, he had a Republican majority in both the House and the Senate.

He claimed that tax cuts would pay for themselves - they did not. He claimed that tax cuts would result in growth - we are in the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

This is going to come as surprise to you, TDM, this will separate an open mind, to a closed mind such as yourself.
Conservatives knew that Bush spent too much, (When did htey know it? I told them for years and they called me a traitor for saying it)that's why the republicans took a beating in the last election. Conservatives can critique the last administration fairly,(I have seen mostly defending of it) while you cannot be that honest with the current one.(what have you EVER said that was possitive about Obama?) When is the spending going to stop?(When the job is done)

Yes, Bush had a majority in Congress, and the Senate....but there was no super majority...not even close.VETO POWER! The democrats were all for spending, also. (Do you even remember the things that were said about anyone who didnt vote for the money? We had troops in the field) His spending and war efforts couldn't have been passed without the help of the democrats.And of course you blame them for Bush starting two wars Now look where we stand.

And you claim to be bettter than me?

You must think I'm a republican.....I didn't say republican did I? I said conservatives Obama's policies don't even come close to what a conservative wants....Do you think I should back his healthcare? His Cap and trade, Amnesty? Give me something that simulates a conservative view, and I will back him. Your stating that the dems couldn't stand up to the heat when it came time to curb spending and stopping the war? Is that what your saying? The republicans have stood up to what they believe with this administration...see the difference?
Yes, the democrats could have stopped the process with a cloture vote in the Senate, TDM.
Please stop the projecting on your part with me. I blame both parties for the iraq war, Both parties voted for going to war. and I certainly blame Bush for pulling the trigger, in Iraq.
Afganistan? We should have been there.....we needed to stop A.Q., and Bin Laden....remember we lost nearly 3000 people.
See where we stand, young lady?

Last edited:
This is going to come as surprise to you, TDM, this will separate an open mind, to a closed mind such as yourself.
Conservatives knew that Bush spent too much, (When did htey know it? I told them for years and they called me a traitor for saying it)that's why the republicans took a beating in the last election. Conservatives can critique the last administration fairly,(I have seen mostly defending of it) while you cannot be that honest with the current one.(what have you EVER said that was possitive about Obama?) When is the spending going to stop?(When the job is done)

Yes, Bush had a majority in Congress, and the Senate....but there was no super majority...not even close.VETO POWER! The democrats were all for spending, also. (Do you even remember the things that were said about anyone who didnt vote for the money? We had troops in the field) His spending and war efforts couldn't have been passed without the help of the democrats.And of course you blame them for Bush starting two wars Now look where we stand.

You must think I'm a republican.....I didn't say republican did I? I said conservatives Obama's policies don't even come close to what a conservative wants....Do you think I should back his healthcare? His Cap and trade, Amnesty? Give me something that simulates a conservative view, and I will back him. He did not run as a conservative now did he? Your stating that the dems couldn't stand up to the heat when it came time to curb spending and stopping the war? You really think its a good idea to vote to strip a deployed military of funding? Is that what your saying? The republicans have stood up to what they believe with this administration...see the difference?Yes the differance is they care more about themselves than the country
Yes, the democrats could have stopped the process with a cloture vote in the Senate, TDM.
Please stop the projecting on your part with me. I blame both parties for the iraq war, Both parties voted for going for war. and I certainly blame Bush for pulling the trigger, in Iraq.NOPE they did not vote for WAR, they voted to give Bush a power invade IF Iraq would not cooperate, Bush attacked ANYWAY
Afganistan? We should have been there.....we needed to stop A.Q., and Bin Laden....remember we lost nearly 3000 people.I was pro the Afgan war (whos asumming now huh?) Obama RAN on finishing the Afgan war so whats the hewlls your problem with him on that ?

We all stand in the same place, you just think people like me who voted Obama in dont have the right to our vote counting.

BTW if I had a buck for every con who claimed to have not supported Bush I would be able to pay for the war myself.

Last edited:
Who held the majorities in the House and Senate during the Reagan Administration?

i was just a tyke, but i thought the republicans snatched the senate.

now as to my point, who wrote the roth-kemp? who signed it?

Who passed it in the House?
are you crazy, hackster? republicans were probably unanimous. i think jack kemp was a congressman.

you are the posterchild of republican, hackjob, goalpost shiftin delusion, captain. lemme understand you right on this... so, democrats are the conservatives?

Now, I'm not saying Democrats haven't added to the debt, because they have, but Republicans have added MORE to the debt, and spouting off about it now seems utterly hypocritical.

Off base again.....every single entitlement program was passed by Democrats....right now they are all BROKE. Social Security is responsible for half of national debt!!!!!

Try again.

Social Security is NOT responsible for the National Debt.

People stealing from Social Security to pay for other programs is responsible for half the debt. And much of that was by Republicans.

If Social Security had been left alone in a trust fund LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE, it would have been fine.

But no, it was used for things that were supposed to be paid for with tax money, like military spending, and tax reductions.

You must think I'm a republican.....I didn't say republican did I? I said conservatives Obama's policies don't even come close to what a conservative wants....Do you think I should back his healthcare? His Cap and trade, Amnesty? Give me something that simulates a conservative view, and I will back him. He did not run as a conservative now did he? Your stating that the dems couldn't stand up to the heat when it came time to curb spending and stopping the war? You really think its a good idea to vote to strip a deployed military of funding? Is that what your saying? The republicans have stood up to what they believe with this administration...see the difference?Yes the differance is they care more about themselves than the country
Please stop the projecting on your part with me. I blame both parties for the iraq war, Both parties voted for going for war. and I certainly blame Bush for pulling the trigger, in Iraq.NOPE they did not vote for WAR, they voted to give Bush a power invade IF Iraq would not cooperate, Bush attacked ANYWAY
Afganistan? We should have been there.....we needed to stop A.Q., and Bin Laden....remember we lost nearly 3000 people.I was pro the Afgan war (whos asumming now huh?) Obama RAN on finishing the Afgan war so whats the hewlls your problem with him on that ?

We all stand in the same place, you just think people like me who voted Obama in dont have the right to our vote counting.

BTW if I had a buck for every con who claimed to have not supported Bush I would be able to pay for the war myself.

R U crazy or what? Where did you extrapolate that remark from? projecting again? Everyone eligible has a right to vote, TDM.
I did support Bush in several areas. I did not support Bush in other areas.
Please share with me what areas you don't support obama, hmmmmmm

Obama didn't run as a conservative, no...I'm not saying that...what I'm saying is that is why I don't agree with his policies, jeeze.
The dems could have stepped up and curb the spending that Bush had going on, they could have stepped up and not voted for giving Bush the power to go to war in Iraq. Remember at the time even democrats understood that Iraq was a threat. (I didn't think you would makes excuses for the dems....but I'm wrong)
The republicans seem to be with the will of the majority of Americans, and are not liberal loons. They actually understand what the national debt actually means.
I wasn't assuming, you stated that Bush got us into 2 wars.....inferring you were against both, TDM

And yet, even when faced with facts, there will be those that defend this administration!

What is wrong with you guys. Obama is working with what he was given. Two wars - three trillion, a drug bill from 2003 that's anywhere from 2 to 15 trillion. It's astounding how you blame Republican mess on him.

The GDP of the US is 14.5 trillion. The GDP of the European Union is over 18 trillion. We could start with pulling our troops and bringing them home. We could rebuild America's crumbling infrastructure.
What are Republican ideas? None. Look at their own party finances. 22 million, then they get 96 million in donations, and they end up with less than 10 million. Yea, so "fiscal".

Did you look at the CBO's numbers for the year 2020....you want to blame that on the last administration, also? Unbelievable

By the way....are those numbers you threw out the RNC's money...or are they tax dollars? hmmmm?

Place the blame on the last administration? Hell yea. They conveniently left off two wars costing three trillion off of the Federal Budget. They cut taxes to the tune of 2.5 trillion "DURING A TIME OF WAR". That was nearly the cost of the war right there. Then all the no bid contracts given to Bush and Cheney cronies. Who ever heard of "Blackwater". Suddenly that company is worth a billion dollars????????? How can that be?

And the drug bill the Republicans passed through reconciliation in 2003. 1.2 to 15 trillion? Even the CBO hasn't figured that one out.

And the first stimulus package by Bush at nearly a trillion.

A crumbling world economy.

Wall Street running amok.

AND YOU GUYS HAVE THE NERVE AND THE SHEAR UNMITIGATED GALL TO BLAME THIS ON OBAMA???????????????

Shame on you. Shame, shame.

And then look at the Republicans. Their party had 22 million, they raised 96 million and have less than 10 million. If they can't handle their own finances, why would they know how to handle the nations? After 8 years of Bush and Republican fiasco, the answer is "they can't".

It's not rocket science. The answer is clear, unadorned and plain.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is wrong with you guys. Obama is working with what he was given. Two wars - three trillion, a drug bill from 2003 that's anywhere from 2 to 15 trillion. It's astounding how you blame Republican mess on him.

The GDP of the US is 14.5 trillion. The GDP of the European Union is over 18 trillion. We could start with pulling our troops and bringing them home. We could rebuild America's crumbling infrastructure.
What are Republican ideas? None. Look at their own party finances. 22 million, then they get 96 million in donations, and they end up with less than 10 million. Yea, so "fiscal".

Did you look at the CBO's numbers for the year 2020....you want to blame that on the last administration, also? Unbelievable

By the way....are those numbers you threw out the RNC's money...or are they tax dollars? hmmmm?

Place the blame on the last administration? Hell yea. They conveniently left off two wars costing three trillion off of the Federal Budget. They cut taxes to the tune of 2.5 trillion "DURING A TIME OF WAR". That was nearly the cost of the war right there. Then all the no bid contracts given to Bush and Cheney cronies. Who ever heard of "Blackwater". Suddenly that company is worth a billion dollars????????? How can that be?

An the drug bill the Republicans passed through reconciliation. 1.2 to 15 trillion? Even the CBO hasn't figured that one out.

AND YOU GUYS HAVE THE NERVE AND THE SHEAR UNMITIGATED GALL TO BLAME THIS ON OBAMA???????????????

And then look at the Republicans. Their party had 22 million, they raised 96 million and have less than 10 million. If they can't handle their own finances, why would they know how to handle the nations? After 8 years of Bush and Republican fiasco, the answer is "they can't".

do ewe perhaps need us to summon youse a waaaaaaaaabalaaaaaaaaance?

I certain don't believe Japan is in really great financial shape put they certainly aren't gong bankrupt. Japan's huge ratio of debt to GDP is 190%. The GDP growth rate reported for Japan by the BBC is 3.7% slightly better than US. Looking at just Japan it is hard to draw the conclusion that a 90% ratio is going to bankrupt us.

FYI Canda's rate is about the same as ours. There are a number countries with rates higher than 9O%. BTW The 90% is based on an estimate of GDP growth and a guess at what debt level will be in 2020.

I just read through nearly all of this thread. Does anyone on either side even realize what's going on here? DEMS are bad, they spend more, it's their fault. REPS are bad, they spend more, it's their fault.

IT'S GOVERNMENT --- BOTH PARTIES -- THEY SUCK -- THEY ARE SPENDING US INTO OBLIVION -- AND WE ARE PAYING THE PRICE. THEY WILL STILL HAVE THEIR CUSHY EVERYTHING WHILE WE HAVE SQUAT.

Stop the blame game because BOTH SIDES SUCK.

Cripes.

And the drug bill the Republicans passed through reconciliation in 2003. 1.2 to 15 trillion? Even the CBO hasn't figured that one out.

You have got to be one of the top 5 biggest idiots on this board, redean. If you look at my posts....I'm blaming both parties for this mess. But, I don't want to hear that in 2020 that this debt is Bush's fault...others need to step up and take blame. Your so wacked out....you can't see that.

Knock that crap off, dean...you have a thread on this and you got pawned on your own thread. THAT MONEY IS PRIVATE MONEY, AND NOT FROM TAXES....SEE WHAT I MEAN ABOUT YOU BEING AN IDIOT?

I certain don't believe Japan is in really great financial shape put they certainly aren't gong bankrupt. Japan's huge ratio of debt to GDP is 190%. The GDP growth rate reported for Japan by the BBC is 3.7% slightly better than US. Looking at just Japan it is hard to draw the conclusion that a 90% ratio is going to bankrupt us.

FYI Canda's rate is about the same as ours. There are a number countries with rates higher than 9O%. BTW The 90% is based on an estimate of GDP growth and a guess at what debt level will be in 2020.
The Japanese Yen isn't the world's reserve currency.

Why not talk about Japan's lost decades because of their bad economy and debt?
Our debt can hurt our credit rating, and that can cause us to pay higher interest rates on money borrowed. Which will increase our debt significantly. There are a lot of countries that have a lot higher debt level, and they aren't doing very well either, what's your point?
If you look at the CBO's track record for forcasting...it's not in our favor and usually costs a heck of a lot more, Flopper.

Please don't forget the United States ripple effect on the world.
When we sneeze, the world catches a cold. Do you wanna chance it?

Forum List

Back