Debt Deal: Brace for massive spending cuts

What do I call $1T in budget cuts? A good start.
Obama raised the budget by $1T with TARP continuation, ARRA, Cash for Clunkers. Cash for Caulkers, Cash for Unions Workers etc.
Getting it back to something resembling reality sounds pretty good to me.

Obama raised the budget by $1T with TARP continuation, ARRA, Cash for Clunkers. Cash for Caulkers, Cash for Unions Workers etc.

This deficit is not all Obama's. There has been years of abuse by both parties. Like the war in Iraq that wasn't necessary. This deficit has been years in the making and it will take years to address.

As I said, Obama takes what the Reps give him or he defaults on the country. Good for the Reps if they do big huge cuts, if not, figures. We'll just have to see though.

I don't think they will do it.
I think if anything - both sides have agreed to give a little to each other and delay, delay and delay.
In other words - small and meaningless tax hikes - and spending cuts that will sound big but be spread out over 10 years and not truly address the problem so we will be dealing with it again in only a few years.

Sorry - I cast a vote of no confidence with either of these two.

The GOPers will cave first.

I don't know. But I do expect some token revenue increases, with the elimination of some gaudy tax loopholes.

But I do agree with Bill Clinton. Obama needs to stay his ground.

I think if anything - both sides have agreed to give a little to each other and delay, delay and delay.
In other words - small and meaningless tax hikes - and spending cuts that will sound big but be spread out over 10 years and not truly address the problem so we will be dealing with it again in only a few years.

It is terribly sad when the health of the "political party" overrides the well being of the country.

this is all fun to watch.
And esp to watch who whines first about the results of cuts.

Well, lets see. Most of the cuts will affect the indigent, the poor, and the needy. I expect rich folks won't care, huh?

This deficit is not all Obama's. There has been years of abuse by both parties. Like the war in Iraq that wasn't necessary. This deficit has been years in the making and it will take years to address.
The deficit is mostly Obama's. But it doesnt matter. He is in office and needs to deal with it. Adn the most effective way to deal with it is cut spending. Raising taxes in a recession is a baddd idea. So bad Obama himself signed onto the extension of the cuts.

I'll believe the cuts only after they've been enacted. I kinda hope that Jason Lewis is right with his government shutdown theory (which is related) in that the longer it goes on the more people realize they never needed the government to begin with.

It is terribly sad when the health of the "political party" overrides the well being of the country.

Massive spending cuts are needed for the health of the country. Not sure why that's difficult to understand. I actually agree with President Obama on this issue. As he said, the fact that we are even having a discussion on whether to raise the debt ceiling or not is a failure of leadership.

Let's cut this budget.

How do you go from "increased the deficit by" to "all Obama's fault" without passing through reality?

Yes it is....Obama has you fooled as though he became president a month ago...
"OK, I know I've been in office for 30 months. And I know I've been hitting the links an awful lot, but I'm here now. Let's get to work.
"By the way.....This is the fault of the previous administration. I can help. I can fix this".
REALLY?!!!!!!
Check this out...IT'S OBAMA'S WATCH.

Doesn't matter what Obama has caused or hasn't caused. He's the President right now. The Buck stops at him.

When are you people going to understand that he needs to take responsibility and show some leadership and can't keep blaming the problems on others.

Obama has shown leadership, but, I said it before and I shall say it again, Congress, controls the purse strings of the US budget, it is their problem to handle the final outlay of the budget and to pass such budget after committee hearings. This function is a legislative branch operation. Obama is in the executive branch, hence does not have the authority to pass the budget into law, he only signs after Congress has finished with it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back