Debt Ceiling Threats Not a Winning Formula

Not raising the debt ceiling is a default on our debts, and it means in the short term, someone who relies on the government won't be paid. Last time we had this petty argument, my husband and I had to prepare for the very real possibility that he wouldn't get a pay check. My sister didn't know if she would be going to work or not. It's beyond selfish to use the debt ceiling to beat your opponent over the head, as if it doesn't directly effect real people.

They were paid the last time. I was there. It's always selfish when a Republican/Conservative takes a stand no matter how detrimental but when Dems do it..well hey that's another story.

oBUMa could have asked the Hoese to address the SS rise but he didn't, they didn't. But he bares no rsponsibility. He could have LEAD and demanded it. He was in the driver's seat. That's just one example of the hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Not raising the debt ceiling is a default on our debts, and it means in the short term, someone who relies on the government won't be paid. Last time we had this petty argument, my husband and I had to prepare for the very real possibility that he wouldn't get a pay check. My sister didn't know if she would be going to work or not. It's beyond selfish to use the debt ceiling to beat your opponent over the head, as if it doesn't directly effect real people.

as if not controlling the debt doesn't affect real people huh? is that your stupid arguement?

the epic failure of our government to live within its means has little to do with raising the debt ceiling. Congress spent, dems and pubs both. You don't get to order everything on the menu, eat like a glutton and then refuse to pay when the waitress hands you the check.

exactly!

no, not exactly, I think it's the perfect time since dems now recognize that they've spent us into oblivion do talk about cutting expenses instead of "raising the debt ceiling" in other words bozos you're going the WRONG way to just keep RAISING the CEILING.

1) Republicans have spent us into the poorhouse too - so hyper-partisan rants make it appear that you are not serious about the debt, you're just serious about getting your party elected.

2) Raising the debt ceiling doesn't authorize any new spending. Only CONGRESS can authorize new spending.

as if not controlling the debt doesn't affect real people huh? is that your stupid arguement?

There are better ways to bargain for spending cuts than to threaten default. We are looking at yet another credit downgrade because congress has yet to raise the debt ceiling.

no, not exactly, I think it's the perfect time since dems now recognize that they've spent us into oblivion do talk about cutting expenses instead of "raising the debt ceiling" in other words bozos you're going the WRONG way to just keep RAISING the CEILING.

1) Republicans have spent us into the poorhouse too - so hyper-partisan rants make it appear that you are not serious about the debt, you're just serious about getting your party elected.

2) Raising the debt ceiling doesn't authorize any new spending. Only CONGRESS can authorize new spending.

Republicans, Republicans, Republicans...then in the next breath they want non-partisanship. :cool:

There are better ways to bargain for spending cuts than to threaten default. We are looking at yet another credit downgrade because congress has yet to raise the debt ceiling.

Why are you obfuscating?

Do we have plenty of cashflow to pay our debt service, or not?

Why are you obfuscating?

The Party that brought us the first downgrade ever...wants to pretend to be fiscal experts.

This is EXACTLY what I am talking about.
This is just one person and you can multiply this by about a million to get a grasp on the overall effect of threatening not to pay your debt just to advance your political position.

The debt ceiling DOESN'T AUTHORIZE ANY new spending. If you think you are striking a blow against new spending - you are sadly mistaken.

GET your spending cuts - my gosh I sincerely hope we do. But you don't damage the economy and hold people's financial future hostage to further your political ambitions.

People who are fiscally responsible don't do this - do Republicans?

Why are you obfuscating?

The Party that brought us the first downgrade ever...wants to pretend to be fiscal experts.

She just regurges what Obama tells her to say, and then pretends to be 'independent.'

The female version of Mac.

LOL

Why are you obfuscating?

EXACTLY - why would I think Republicans are any more fiscally responsible than Democrats?

I watched the last fight about the debt ceiling and remember shit you fucks forgot.

Now that I poroved to you your idiot party CANT use the debt ceiling to kill this country what will you use to kill it instead?

Last edited:

well if it doesn''t call for new spending then leave it where it izzz.

they just cant understand what this is all about.

they are the dumb led by the dishonest.

That is why Obama will have to take this tool from their hands

Guys - if you don'ty understand what the debt ceiling is, what it "authorizes," and how it impacts business, investments, and individuals, (and many of your popsts make it very clear that you do not) then don't be surprised or miffed when we blow off your "insightful" advice.

I don't think Republicans in the House are as ill informed. They know EXACTLY what they are doing and why. They're banking on your ignorance to shield them from the consequences.

Why are you obfuscating?

EXACTLY - why would I think Republicans are any more fiscally responsible than Democrats?

A. Bush left office National Debt 10 Trillion. that debt was incurred by Bush and all Presidents who served before him.

B. After four years in office the National debt is 16 Trillion... so that's a plus six for obama alone.

C. Care to guess what it will be after his total of eight years? I'm guessing it will be 20 Trillion which means he will have doubled the debt left by Bush and all the other presidents before him combined.

well if it doesn''t call for new spending then leave it where it izzz.

We cannot meet the obligations that Congress has ALREADY approved without raising it.

Forum List

Back