Debt Ceiling Threats Not a Winning Formula

obama has been in office four years, is starting his fifth year and he's added 6 trillion to the national debt. at the end of the 8 years it will be easily 20 trillion dollars. at some point the economy will collapse.

Bush introduced more new spending than Obama has.

Yes, two wrongs don't make a right and I really want to see meaningful cuts in spending too. But finger pointing at the other guy while refusing to see the reality of how BOTH sides have contributed to the problem - is not being fiscally responsible. It's just being a hyper-partisan hack who only wants to see THEIR side writing the checks.

With all due respect, Dog...what has Obama ever REALLY cut? You've fallen back on the false statistic that Obama hasn't raised spending by a larger percentage than Bush did since taking office but that statistic only works because Bush did TARP and other stimulus in his last year which was the height of the recession. Obama has continued spending that amount plus more every single year that he's been in office. We're running trillion dollar a year plus deficits and the costs of ObamaCare haven't even kicked in yet. This is about to get REALLY ugly from a deficit point of view and all Barry does is demand that Congress not give him any trouble raising the debt ceiling. I'm sorry but that's NOT dealing with the problem.

You've hit, what I believe are a couple of very good points. Number one - Every POTUS (and new Congress too) is often pretty much stuck in continuing some of the spending obligations they inherit from the previous one.

Obama couldn't just shut off war funding for example.

In addition to honoring the spending the previous administration obligated us for, every new POTUS also introduces his own, new spending. Obama has introduced less new spending than others. Is it really fair to say - "sorry bub, no new spending for you because your predecessort onligated all the money already"????

BOTH Democrats and Republicans have been all too happy to lavish spending and goodies on their favorites.

You are EXACTLY right imho - that spending needs to be curtailed. I am in 100% agreement on that. But holding American businesses, consumer confidence, the bond market, etc hostage with threats that we may not honor the obligations that BOTH sides have accumulated just to gain political advantage is disgusting.

I'm simply enamored with the sudden concern the left leeches have with taxes, cuts and budgets. The same group that wouldn't let a proven businessman give it a try because of their blind hatred.

Now there are oh so concerned with the future of the GOP. The same GOP they declared dead 3 minutes after the election results were announced.

I've come to the conclusion that most people don't actually understand what the debt ceiling is, which is why they seem so convinced that not raising it will be good for the country.
Don't acuse people of being ignorant - if you keep repeating crap you think people will believe it. The debt ceiling is the only leverage left!

Yes, because its always good to default on our debt.

I've come to the conclusion that most people don't actually understand what the debt ceiling is, which is why they seem so convinced that not raising it will be good for the country.
Don't acuse people of being ignorant - if you keep repeating crap you think people will believe it. The debt ceiling is the only leverage left!

And it's always good to spend more than you take in...and yes we know GWB was President before oBUMa...:cool:

You know - gleefully chuckling and patting each other on the back for being equally stupid doesn't win arguments.
- just MHO.

typical, you start a thread then start whining when people don't give you the opinion I guess you are looking for..

what damn answer were you looking for?

After he was arguing the same point on another thread simultaneously.

I support everyone's right to an opinion. I just don't waste my time with opinions formed with little or no information.

Here's the jist since I think you don't know this:

The debit ceiling DOESN'T authorize one penny more of spending. It simply funds the spending ALREADY authorized by Congress.

I've come to the conclusion that most people don't actually understand what our debt is, which is why they seem to think no debt ceiling increase means a default on debt payments.

And it's always good to spend more than you take in...and yes we know GWB was President before oBUMa...:cool:

The epic failure of our government to live within its means has little to do with raising the debt ceiling. Congress spent, dems and pubs both. You don't get to order everything on the menu, eat like a glutton and then refuse to pay when the waitress hands you the check.

I'm simply enamored with the sudden concern the left leeches have with taxes, cuts and budgets. The same group that wouldn't let a proven businessman give it a try because of their blind hatred.

Had the GOP taken overspending and fiscal responsibility ONE BIT more seriously than the Democrats have - I probably would have voted Republican. Since they didn't - they lose points for hypocrisy too.

Had the GOP taken overspending and fiscal responsibility ONE BIT more seriously than the Democrats have - I probably would have voted Republican. Since they didn't - they lose points for hypocrisy too.

LOL

You voted for Owebama. Twice.

yes, because its always good to default on our debt.

and it's always good to spend more than you take in...and yes we know gwb was president before obuma...:cool:

the epic failure of our government to live within its means has little to do with raising the debt ceiling. Congress spent, dems and pubs both. You don't get to order everything on the menu, eat like a glutton and then refuse to pay when the waitress hands you the check.

exactly!

LOL

You voted for Owebama. Twice.

First Democrat I've EVER voted for ... I've voted Libertarian as often.

And you voted for Bu$$$$H ??????

The epic failure of our government to live within its means has little to do with raising the debt ceiling. Congress spent, dems and pubs both. You don't get to order everything on the menu, eat like a glutton and then refuse to pay when the waitress hands you the check.

Put it on a credit card even though you know you can't pay. Why is one okay but when the other has a chance to force real cuts you oppose it with this doom and gloom scenario that the government can't close down. It's happened before.

What are you afraid of...that oBUMa might not come out of it looking too good?

Last edited:
and it's always good to spend more than you take in...and yes we know gwb was president before obuma...:cool:

the epic failure of our government to live within its means has little to do with raising the debt ceiling. Congress spent, dems and pubs both. You don't get to order everything on the menu, eat like a glutton and then refuse to pay when the waitress hands you the check.

exactly!

no, not exactly, I think it's the perfect time since dems now recognize that they've spent us into oblivion do talk about cutting expenses instead of "raising the debt ceiling" in other words bozos you're going the WRONG way to just keep RAISING the CEILING.

Not raising the debt ceiling is a default on our debts, and it means in the short term, someone who relies on the government won't be paid. Last time we had this petty argument, my husband and I had to prepare for the very real possibility that he wouldn't get a pay check. My sister didn't know if she would be going to work or not. It's beyond selfish to use the debt ceiling to beat your opponent over the head, as if it doesn't directly effect real people.

Not raising the debt ceiling is a default on our debts, and it means in the short term, someone who relies on the government won't be paid. Last time we had this petty argument, my husband and I had to prepare for the very real possibility that he wouldn't get a pay check. My sister didn't know if she would be going to work or not. It's beyond selfish to use the debt ceiling to beat your opponent over the head, as if it doesn't directly effect real people.

That is bullshit, and you know it.

Do we have plenty of cashflow to pay our debt service, or not?

Forum List

Back