Debt ceiling raise 1.8 T-rillion

I'm supposed to get excited, but its all
monopoly_money.jpg

anyway

In 2003...

Bush Quietly Raises Debt Limit
Ceremony Planned For Tax Cut, No Fanfare For Related Debt Hike

Eye On The Economy

In-depth features on U.S. markets, taxes, employment and the Federal Reserve.
(CBS) Without comment or ceremony, President Bush on Tuesday signed a bill allowing a record $984 billion increase in the amount the federal government can borrow, to a record $7.4 trillion.

The increased federal borrowing will enable the government to pay for the $350 billion economic stimulus package that the GOP-led Congress passed last week at Mr. Bush's behest.

Mr. Bush will hold a signing ceremony at the White House on Wednesday to celebrate passage of that legislation, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer announced. The package includes $330 billion in tax cuts and $20 billion in aid for states.
Bush Quietly Raises Debt Limit - CBS News

Bush Signs Bill Raising Debt Limit
Monday, March 20, 2006

WASHINGTON — With no fanfare, President Bush signed a bill Monday pushing the ceiling on the national debt to nearly $9 trillion.

The measure allows the government to borrow an additional $781 billion and prevent a first-ever default on Treasury notes. It also lets the government pay for the war in Iraq without raising taxes or cutting popular domestic programs.

The debt limit increase was the fourth of Bush's presidency, totaling $3 trillion. With the budget deficit near record levels, an additional increase in the debt limit almost certainly will be required next year.

FOXNews.com - Bush Signs Bill Raising Debt Limit - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Bush Administration Adds $4 Trillion To National Debt

(AP)With no fanfare and little notice, the national debt has grown by more than $4 trillion during George W. Bush’s presidency.

It’s the biggest increase under any president in U.S history.

On the day President Bush took office, the national debt stood at $5.727 trillion. The latest number from the Treasury Department shows the national debt now stands at more than $9.849 trillion. That’s a 71.9 percent increase on Mr. Bush’s watch.

The bailout plan now pending in Congress could add hundreds of billions of dollars to the national debt – though President Bush said this morning he expects that over time, “much if not all” of the bailout money “will be paid back.”

But the government is taking no chances. Buried deep in the hundred pages of bailout legislation is a provision that would raise the statutory ceiling on the national debt to $11.315 trillion. It’ll be the 7th time the debt limit has been raised during this administration. In fact it was just two months ago, on July 30, that President Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act, which contained a provision raising the debt ceiling to $10.615 trillion.

Bush Administration Adds $4 Trillion To National Debt - Couric & Co. - CBS News

so if i read that right a republican majority congress did it twice and a democrat majority did it once......for a total of 3 times in 8 years....i will bet obama will sign more than that in his tenure....

As usual you read it wrong. this from the 2006 segment.

The debt limit increase was the fourth of Bush's presidency,

at least we aren't spending tons of money on pointless things

We aren't????? 6 milllion out of the stimulus bill to a Clinton Polster?? That's important and such a job creation measure.:lol::lol:

In the end, even if there are a few unwise projects, it is only a handful out of the over 50,000 projects that have been approved to date,” said Liz Oxhorn, a White House spokeswoman. “The real question here is whether Recovery Act critics will at long last acknowledge that well over 99 percent of the projects are sound, effective and working as promised

In 2003...

Bush Quietly Raises Debt Limit
Ceremony Planned For Tax Cut, No Fanfare For Related Debt Hike

Eye On The Economy

In-depth features on U.S. markets, taxes, employment and the Federal Reserve.
(CBS) Without comment or ceremony, President Bush on Tuesday signed a bill allowing a record $984 billion increase in the amount the federal government can borrow, to a record $7.4 trillion.

The increased federal borrowing will enable the government to pay for the $350 billion economic stimulus package that the GOP-led Congress passed last week at Mr. Bush's behest.

Mr. Bush will hold a signing ceremony at the White House on Wednesday to celebrate passage of that legislation, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer announced. The package includes $330 billion in tax cuts and $20 billion in aid for states.
Bush Quietly Raises Debt Limit - CBS News

Bush Signs Bill Raising Debt Limit
Monday, March 20, 2006

WASHINGTON — With no fanfare, President Bush signed a bill Monday pushing the ceiling on the national debt to nearly $9 trillion.

The measure allows the government to borrow an additional $781 billion and prevent a first-ever default on Treasury notes. It also lets the government pay for the war in Iraq without raising taxes or cutting popular domestic programs.

The debt limit increase was the fourth of Bush's presidency, totaling $3 trillion. With the budget deficit near record levels, an additional increase in the debt limit almost certainly will be required next year.

FOXNews.com - Bush Signs Bill Raising Debt Limit - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Bush Administration Adds $4 Trillion To National Debt

(AP)With no fanfare and little notice, the national debt has grown by more than $4 trillion during George W. Bush’s presidency.

It’s the biggest increase under any president in U.S history.

On the day President Bush took office, the national debt stood at $5.727 trillion. The latest number from the Treasury Department shows the national debt now stands at more than $9.849 trillion. That’s a 71.9 percent increase on Mr. Bush’s watch.

The bailout plan now pending in Congress could add hundreds of billions of dollars to the national debt – though President Bush said this morning he expects that over time, “much if not all” of the bailout money “will be paid back.”

But the government is taking no chances. Buried deep in the hundred pages of bailout legislation is a provision that would raise the statutory ceiling on the national debt to $11.315 trillion. It’ll be the 7th time the debt limit has been raised during this administration. In fact it was just two months ago, on July 30, that President Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act, which contained a provision raising the debt ceiling to $10.615 trillion.

Bush Administration Adds $4 Trillion To National Debt - Couric & Co. - CBS News

so if i read that right a republican majority congress did it twice and a democrat majority did it once......for a total of 3 times in 8 years....i will bet obama will sign more than that in his tenure....

ah one of the polite unifying left ...... thank you for the clarification so four increases....i will still bet obama beats that

Notice this too from the 2003 segement of my post.

"The increased federal borrowing will enable the government to pay for the $350 billion economic stimulus package that the GOP-led Congress passed last week at Mr. Bush's behest."

We were in a recession in 2003?

How could a Party give all those pious & preachy speeches and then vote against raising the Debt Ceiling when the last administration did it yet now these same politicians suddenly fully support raising the Debt Ceiling? This has to be the worst case of dishonest hypocrisy ever seen before? My God,just go back and read this President's own speech on this issue when he was a Senator and voted against raising the Debt Ceiling. So this is "Hope & Change?"

ah one of the polite unifying left ...... thank you for the clarification so four increases....i will still bet obama beats that

Ahh but you still missed the 2008 segemnt another one or two in there.

Ya gotta love the disingenuous Democrat hypocrites. Now raising the Debt Ceiling is suddenly the "Right" and "Responsible" thing to do. What a Hoot!

Ahh but you still missed the 2008 segemnt another one or two in there.

so 6.....are you happy with 6.....4 of which were when the dems held a majority in congress.....

Forum List

Back