Debt Ceiling Increases By President, 1981-2011

Obama is asking for more in one installment than Reagan got in 8 years. Why does O want so much so fast? So the spending can't be regulated properly. Cap spending so we can stop this insanity.

So somehow, Reagan managed to go to Congress and the People many more times than Obama. Yet, he still got reelected, overwhelmingly. So why is Obama such a wuss?

I love how you bash President Obama because he wants to raise the debt ceiling for the first time but defend Reagan who had it raised 18 times. Talk about cognitive dissonance.

So somehow, Reagan managed to go to Congress and the People many more times than Obama. Yet, he still got reelected, overwhelmingly. So why is Obama such a wuss?

I love how you bash President Obama because he wants to raise the debt ceiling for the first time but defend Reagan who had it raised 18 times. Talk about cognitive dissonance.

I like how you ignore the fact that Reagan asked for what he needed as he needed it and Obama wants to break the bank in one shot.

Obama is asking for more in one installment than Reagan got in 8 years. Why does O want so much so fast? So the spending can't be regulated properly. Cap spending so we can stop this insanity.

Link? And I'm sure your link will take inflation into account too.

I like how you ignore the fact that Reagan asked for what he needed as he needed it and Obama wants to break the bank in one shot.

Really? What's the difference between Reagan asking for what he needed as he needed it and Obama doing the exact same thing?

I find it laughable that you're trying to defend Reagan as being fiscally conservative while bashing Obama.

Well said.

This isn't about actually cutting spending. Everyone has agreed we are going to have to do that. Obama's got two goals.

1) Try to get the GOP to sign on to some kind of tax increase, to split them from the TEA Party...

2) Get another discussion of this issue out past the 2012 election, because he knows it's poison to him to remind people how much debt he's run up.

1.) This no tax increase policy or no closing tax loopholes is not economical but rather ideological. Even Reagan increased taxes.

2.) Have the GOP run on Obama and the debt in 2012. Don't use the debt ceiling as a political tool. Both parties are wrong when they do so.

The FY12 Republican budget passed by the House in April would raise the debt ceiling by $9 trillion over the next decade. Would it be reasonable for Obama to request that?

I am no more or less partisan then you

:eusa_angel:

:lol: I'd go down the list of all the mistakes that Ronald Reagan made as President but it wouldn't be worth it since you wouldn't bother to listen. You're nothing but a ideologue.

WHAT?

If you want to talk about the issues you should actually pay attention. The debt ceiling went up right after Obama got into office so he could get his stimulus bill.

Well said.

This isn't about actually cutting spending. Everyone has agreed we are going to have to do that. Obama's got two goals.

1) Try to get the GOP to sign on to some kind of tax increase, to split them from the TEA Party...

2) Get another discussion of this issue out past the 2012 election, because he knows it's poison to him to remind people how much debt he's run up.

1.) This no tax increase policy or no closing tax loopholes is not economical but rather ideological. Even Reagan increased taxes.

2.) Have the GOP run on Obama and the debt in 2012. Don't use the debt ceiling as a political tool. Both parties are wrong when they do so.

Reagan raised taxes- or to be more precise, closed loopholes, after he had cut them and got commitments to actually cut government. But the thing was, the cuts never happened, and Reagan later called it the "biggest mistake he ever made."

Bush-41 agreed to tax increases as part of the plan to save the S&L's from complete meltdown. The Democrats never let him live down his "Read My Lips" moment, even though they agreed raising them was the right thing to do.

So you might say that it's "idealogical". I would call it philosophical. You know that if you give them a choice of 1) Borrowing, 2) Taxing and 3) Cutting, they do them in pretty much that order. Cutting government is always the last option.

As far as putting him on the spot again in 2012, really, making him come back once a year is probably the only way we are going to get cuts out of these jokers.

Well said.

Obama does not want to run on the the deficit in 2012, why do you think he wants the largest single increase of the debt ceiling in history? Why else is the only thing that is non negotiable for him to extend the ceiling past the next election? When you start jumping Obama for using the ceiling as a tool, like he is doing right now, you will have the credibility to jump the Republicans for doing so.

By the way, I am jumping neither side for using that tactic, so do not try to turn this one around on me. I think it is a legitimate use of the debt, and had no problem when Clinton actually shut down the government over it. It is an issue that should have been addressed years ago.

This would be the 4th. under Obama.

It was raised on Feb. 17, 2009, Dec. 28, 2009 and Feb. 12, 2010.

The FY12 Republican budget passed by the House in April would raise the debt ceiling by $9 trillion over the next decade. Would it be reasonable for Obama to request that?

It is unconstitutional for Congress to appropriate money for more than 2 years. In other words, it that budget only increases the deficit if we keep following it. I prefer to scrap it and start over.

This would be the 4th. under Obama.

It was raised on Feb. 17, 2009, Dec. 28, 2009 and Feb. 12, 2010.

If that is actually the case then I stand corrected. My point about defending Reagan still remains however.

Forum List

Back