Debate thoughts...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by insein, Sep 30, 2004.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Good, bad, ugly?

I personally feel that Kerry tried to get away with alot of the usual party lies. I think he was hoping that everything he has said up to this point doesnt mean anything because no one was paying attention. I was glad to see the president take him to task on the indecision he showed when talking about iraq.

In the end Democrats will feel that Kerry had a good showing. He was articulate as he usually is but he didnt feel warm or emotional. They will harp on Bush's stuttering which is a miscalculation on their part, IMO. Focusing on the way he said things instead of the substance will make them look superficial.

Republicans will feel that Bush brought his message across well and responded to Kerry's questions effectively. I personally feel that Bush's openness and honesty on most of the questions hit me the most.

Ultimately, each side has already made up their own minds as to who won and nothing will change.

2. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I'll be honest, I didn't think the President was aggressive enough, and I think it hurt him, as far as the debate was concerned. I think he stopped himself from saying what he wanted to say, and that's why he stuttered. And he did stutter, and he did repeatedly. The pundits tell me these debates are for the center and the undecided. Still, I want to hear what the President thinks. I could almost read his mind concerning what he really wanted to say concerning China, for example.

The Sen. didn't offer anything new nor did he give the public a new and intriguing glimpse of his personality.

Ultimately I think what should have been an overwhelming victory for the President is nothing more than already written off stalemate.

Incidentally, I still don't like the administration's stance on Russia, but, not unexpectedly, the Senator's response was worse.

3. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with ya Z - I saw some looks come from Bush as if he wanted to say something else too! And Kerry really had to let us know how he served in Vietnam AGAIN!!! Big deal, others served a hell of a lot longer. Did you see when the PIG wife of Kerry got up on stage, how her arm in disgust came out towards Laura when she didn't run right over to her? I noticed that IMMEDIATELY!!!! Laura went over to George with Daughters and didn't acknowledge PIGGY quick enough!!! I am surprised she didn't call her a scumbag for not paying mind to her more quickly!

Other than that, I think Bush should have outlined the plan in Iraq better!! He still has my vote though.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    Well, i think John Kerry did better than i expected. There were a few times he didnt make any sense grammaticly. The President looked alittle tired and yes he wasnt as aggressive as he could have been. But i think he made his points there are a couple of points i would have liked to have seen the President point out that John Kerry's vote against funding the troops was because we wouldnt raise taxes.

I think the part that amazed me, which i havent seen anyone else notice. was when Kerry talked about what he would do to deal with Iran. Now did i hear it right? did he say that he would open up talks and given Iran Nuclear fuel of that is what they wanted? It sure sounded like it to me, but the President didnt pick up on it and neither have any of the news people so im curious if i was listening right. Because thats deffinately the last thing i would have expected John kerry to say.

5. Avatar4321

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    I know. i cant believe Kerry kept mentioning Vietnam. i mean come on already.

6. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I also think that Kerry was full of shit when he claimed he was approached by 2 military claiming on how much they need him!

7. MJDuncan1982

MJDuncan1982 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think what happened is exactly what would happen when the two of them were in a debate. When you lay out the facts, Bush cannot defend them. He returns to acting like "the guy you'd want to have a beer with" but I don't want a president like that. I want one who will do his job, I'll never have this "fictional" beverage with either candidate.

Kerry appropriately noted that we were attacked and Bush, after Afghanistan, went after the wrong guy.

I remember who attacked us on 9/11...and it wasn't Hussein.

A person can have his own opinions and spin but not his own facts. This debate shows me what happens when Bush is presented with the facts.

8. clumzgirl

clumzgirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Gut reaction:
    The president's message was stronger and clearer, but Kerry's delivery was better. Hell, my dog is more articulate than W, but that's not why we elect him. I don't care if he's mute, so long as he makes wise, strong decisions.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. MJDuncan1982

MJDuncan1982 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Bush Campaign is getting desperate:

From GeorgeWBush.com

"RNC Chairman Ed Gillespie On Reports John Kerry Wanted Timer Lights Removed From His Podium After Agreeing To Have Timer Lights On His Podium:

RNC Chairman Ed Gillespie: "Only John Kerry Could Be For The Lights Before He Was Against The Lights."

Give me a break...the flip-flopping talking point is breathing its last breath.

10. Avatar4321

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    I found it. He did say he would offer Iran Nuclear fuel. This man wants to offer Iran nuclear fuel? Do you want a man in charge of the nation when he wants to offer our enemies the exact same thing they are supposed to be keeping our enemies from finding?!?!

Debate transcript: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,134152,00.html