Debate: Should we test for autism in the womb?

I've gone on record more than once as one who considers abortion immoral. However, I consider reasons based on autism, Downs, homosexuality, physical deformity, etc. to be no more objectionable than "I just don't feel like having a baby right now."

I'll agree to selective abortions when we can determine whether the baby agrees to be aborted or left in a soiled linen closet to die of exposure and neglect...

or

I'll agree to selective abortions when the baby selected to be aborted can then select their parent to be left in a soiled linen closet to die of exposure and neglect...

or

I'll agree to selective abortions when we can detect in the womb those who will later become disposed toward choosing their children based on selective abortions so they can first be selected out to be left in a soiled linen closet to die of exposure and neglect...
Luckily, no one cares what you "agree" to since it's a moral choice that has to be made by another person.
First, the OP asks for opinions.

Second, the people who gave me reps for that post might disagree with you.

And third, since when did you become the spokesman for everyone? :confused:

First, the OP asks for opinions.

Second, the people who gave me reps for that post might disagree with you.

And third, since when did you become the spokesman for everyone? :confused:

fair enough... "no one" is probably a bit overstated.

But it is irrelevant what you would or wouldn't agree to, notwithstanding that the anti-choicers might have liked what you said.

I said early on because I couldn't remember exactly when I had my test! And in my state you can only have an abortion until you are in the 12th week or the end of your first tri mester so the whole abortion thing is still not an issue since it is also that way in many states. And as for testing autism in the article it said it tests amniotic fluid which like I said before most doctors will not do until you are at least seven months along due to the chance of miscarriage so really the whole abortion issue is not really an issue in this case.

And on another hope everything is going good with your pregnancy, sometimes I actually miss being pregnant which is so wierd since when you are pregnant all you want is to be over and have your baby.

Amnios are done between the 15th and 18th week of pregnancy. Last time I checked that was between 3 and 4 months. Though I seem to recall mine being done at about 9 or 12 weeks. It's been about 12 years, so I don't really remember. And any state that cuts off the right of termination prior to the time at which an amnio is done is effectively making the results moot.

Pregnancy: Amniocentesis

But it is irrelevant what you would or wouldn't agree to, notwithstanding that the anti-choicers might have liked what you said.
Such a typically mixed up liberal response. Your second statement contradicts your first.

But whatever. You are not worth the effort...

yeah they turn two and then four! And they start whinning!
Sorry I am tired because my little man who I love more then anything decided today he would get up about two hours earlier then normal. Don't they know at 545 am is not the best time to want to play?:eusa_angel:

Our first house was a split level, with the laundry room downstairs. Boy was that a mistake. Everytime I went down to do laundry, one or both my kids would get into trouble. The oldest decided he was going to magic marker everysingle part of his body, and I do mean every part. Thank goodness they were washable markers.

My youngest, well, I got this stupid idea to buy velcro fasten real diapers. He was finger painting and that was a heck of a thing to clean up. After I finished cleaning up those messes I sat down to call my friend to vent. Wonderful friend that she is said "And you know what's going to happen when your husband comes home? He's going to say "What did you do all day?"

Such a typically mixed up liberal response. Your second statement contradicts your first.

Nothing mixed up about it. I don't think you have any business imposing your personal moral judgments on anyone else. That's ok though. I have no desire to impose mine on you.

The difference is that *your* particular will keeps others from exercising theirs. Mine doesn't.

You were the one who tried to use having been "repped" for your post as some validation of your beliefs.

So I think perhaps might be you who's confused. But that's ok. I'm used to it from the far right extremists.

That's pro-lifers. Should I call you anti-lifer? Let's just call it what it is ... pro-abortion or anti-abortion.

You also take a test early one already to see if there is the chance your child MIGHT have a genetic defect which even if it is postive it doesn't alway mean your child will have any problems.

You point out something people may not be aware of. Most these tests are newly developed and not 100% reliable. They only predict possibilities not certainties. People should not rely too heavily on them.

That's pro-lifers. Should I call you anti-lifer? Let's just call it what it is ... pro-abortion or anti-abortion.

I don't believe they are pro life. I think being pro life requires that quality of life be taken into consideration. Anti-choicers believe you have all these rights on conception but after birth you're on your own.

Should we just be honest and call them pro birthers"

I'm pro choice. No one is "pro abortion".

Tests for voting are UNCONSTITUTIONAL. They are subjective and infringe on the RIGHT one has to vote. You can NOT make a test that does not infringe that right. You can not make a test that would not be subjective, nor could you keep politics and racism out of it.

I agree.

(Gunny, another one for your framed post collection)

I don't believe they are pro life. I think being pro life requires that quality of life be taken into consideration. Anti-choicers believe you have all these rights on conception but after birth you're on your own.

Should we just be honest and call them pro birthers"

I'm pro choice. No one is "pro abortion".
I prefer pro-choice and forced-birthers.

you do realize shit happens after birth too?

Duh!!!!

??

But would not go so far as to euthanize a child with disabilities or deformities, if that's what you're getting aty. Although, if it was not likely to live long or was born without a brain or something, I would not want doctor's to resort to extreme measures to keep it alive.

Studies show that people with disabilities do not suffer from a lower level of happiness and joy in living than non disabled people. I support their right to live and think some disabilities are mislabeled as such. We are a varied species.

My only point is that as a parent, I would not have the means or the ability to cope with a severely autistic child like my friend's or, say, a child who lacked all motor abilities, and, especially, any child whose condition would require being removed to an institution. That kind of heartbreak would be too much for me to bear. If I had a 100% guarantee that the fetus I was bearing would end up in those conditions, I would abort.

I would also abort any fetus guaranteed, if such a test existed, that my future child would be suffer from acute, severe and incurable depression. I would not want to give birth to any child sentenced to life long suffering, mentally or otherwise. And I repeat, I do not believe that all disabilities necessarily go hand in hand with an inability to enjoy life. Studies have proven otherwise.

I'm not sure how I would feel about other, less severe disabilities. I don't think I would abort a future blind, deaf or Down's child, but I don't know. I've never been in that position. I would depend on what I felt were my abilities to care for the child, it's chances of having a full and happy life, and maybe also it's chances of being able to survive after I was gone.

This thread raises many questions.

I'm thinking there also ought to be a basic personality skills test one must past before being allowed to purchase a computer.
Or a taste in avatar test. Marilyn there is starting to give me gooseflesh. No matter what part of the room I'm in, his eyes follow me.

Except that you seem to think she was.

Your own action contradicts your own statement. :lol:

Many conservatives also support the right to chose.

Last edited:

Pro choice anti choice is best.

BPeople can be anti abortion for themselves personally, but still be pro choice.

I consider myself pro choice AND pro life. Being pro choice is a way to protect human life.

Forum List

Back