CDZ Death with Dignity laws vs Big Government

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Who is it that is opposed to these Death with Dignity assisted suicide laws?

It seems to be Republicans but to me that seems contradictory to their Y2k era "small government" mantra.

My theory is it is an old establishment wing of the party who wants to support their religious views above all else.

This would seem to be a poor point for them to stand on. To me it makes the Republican religion more important than whatever beliefs the terminally ill have and would effectively make the Republican religion our effective national religion.

Am I missing groups who are against "Right to Die" laws?

Speaking only on a personal level, fuck any and all law on this when it comes to me; I'll be making that decision and "the law" can go fuck itself. One merely needs to be clear in his/her own mind before he/she becomes institutionalized so the system can milk every last drop it can monetize out of your carcass on the way to expiry.

It seems to be Republicans but to me that seems contradictory to their Y2k era "small government" mantra.

My theory is it is an old establishment wing of the party who wants to support their religious views above all else.

This would seem to be a poor point for them to stand on. To me it makes the Republican religion more important than whatever beliefs the terminally ill have and would effectively make the Republican religion our effective national religion.

It's a state issue. Take it up with your state.

Right to die very quickly becomes the duty to die. Failure to agree to be killed only means that death will be forcibly imposed upon you. No one has complained yet.

Right to die very quickly becomes the duty to die. Failure to agree to be killed only means that death will be forcibly imposed upon you. No one has complained yet.

Sure they have, we as a society just don't care about anything but money and profit.

I too would prefer that the decision to die should rest with the individual not the state. That right should extend to assisted suicide without state interference or penalty for assisting. On the down side it does raise the possibility of murder under the guise of assisted suicide.

I would fear a need to "doctor shop" where the moderately well off can easily get transported to "Missonoise" where assisted suicide is legal where the poor are stuck in "Arkatex" where it is not.

To me it is a more personal decision I want to keep my governor, councilman, or HOA regent out of. But while I disagree I understand fighting the good fight against an overwhelming central power.

It also goes against the doctor's Hippocratic Oath so there is that too. If you are asking doctors to be involved you are asking the state to be involved.

I would fear a need to "doctor shop" where the moderately well off can easily get transported to "Missonoise" where assisted suicide is legal where the poor are stuck in "Arkatex" where it is not.

To me it is a more personal decision I want to keep my governor, councilman, or HOA regent out of. But while I disagree I understand fighting the good fight against an overwhelming central power.
I'm a states rights fan and want as little central control as possible. It's MUCH easier to create or change laws on a state level.

It also goes against the doctor's Hippocratic Oath so there is that too. If you are asking doctors to be involved you are asking the state to be involved.

From Wikipedia...

"I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:...

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can but I will always look for a path to a cure for all diseases.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help."

If this is the correct oath it seems to be a pretty liberal reading to say there will be no assisted suicide.

But if we want to analyze the oath, "I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug." seems to say warmth and sympathy outweigh drugs and knives.

Are you focusing on the "playing God" line? I figure as long as the decision is the patient's the doctor is not playing God.

But if we want to analyze the oath, "I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug." seems to say warmth and sympathy outweigh drugs and knives.

Are you focusing on the "playing God" line? I figure as long as the decision is the patient's the doctor is not playing God.
Laws have problems with things like "seems to say".

Laws have problems with things like "seems to say".

I know, that is why this is up for debate in my opinion. If you read "no assisted suicide" in there state where.

It is my impression that the strongest opposition to these laws comes from the Catholic Church, hardly a bastion of Republicanism.

Really? That is an interesting take.

In the white flight suburbs I see white Catholic folks voting on the pro-life issue pretty strongly. That turns them Republican.

By me the Church will tell them vote their hearts for pro-life or something like that and stick up a bunch of crosses marking abortions every second before election day. I do question what the congregations actually vote.

Forum List

Back