Death Sentence

Since you love the Constitution, let me ask you this....

Do you think that if a person commits a murder in Texas and another person commits a murder in Massachusetts of the same degree of viciousness, that Texas giving this murderer a death sentence for it and massachusetts giving them life in prison for it, is protected by the constitution on some sort of equality grounds?

I know I didn't explain that right, but I guess what I am trying to say or ask, is:

Don't you think it seems unfair that the government in Texas can kill you for a crime while if you committed the same crime in Massachusetts, the government can not?

So it all depends on what state you live in, as to whether the government has that power to kill you? It just seems like the Constitution would somehow prevent this from happening instead of protecting the ability for this to happen, because it seems inherently unfair to me?

And unfair for both sides of this equation... unfair that if my sister was murdered on vacation in massachusetts the criminal will not get a life for a life, and if she was murdered in florida, the murderer would get a life for a life as punishment....?

I realize that what is not delegated to the federal government is up to the States or the people within the states, but it seems to me that the SAME JUSTICE IS NOT GIVEN TO ALL, when the murderer lives on in Massachusetts but he wouldn't if in Florida or Texas etc?

Care

Since you love the Constitution, let me ask you this....

Do you think that if a person commits a murder in Texas and another person commits a murder in Massachusetts of the same degree of viciousness, that Texas giving this murderer a death sentence for it and massachusetts giving them life in prison for it, is protected by the constitution on some sort of equality grounds?

I know I didn't explain that right, but I guess what I am trying to say or ask, is:

Don't you think it seems unfair that the government in Texas can kill you for a crime while if you committed the same crime in Massachusetts, the government can not?

So it all depends on what state you live in, as to whether the government has that power to kill you? It just seems like the Constitution would somehow prevent this from happening instead of protecting the ability for this to happen, because it seems inherently unfair to me?

And unfair for both sides of this equation... unfair that if my sister was murdered on vacation in massachusetts the criminal will not get a life for a life, and if she was murdered in florida, the murderer would get a life for a life as punishment....?

I realize that what is not delegated to the federal government is up to the States or the people within the states, but it seems to me that the SAME JUSTICE IS NOT GIVEN TO ALL, when the murderer lives on in Massachusetts but he wouldn't if in Florida or Texas etc?

Care

The Federal Constitution sets minimum standards for the rights of citizens, not maximum. The death penalty has been upheld by the Supreme Court as not being cruel and inhuman treatment. Beyond that, each State has the right to provide GREATER (though not lesser) rights than are guaranteed by the Federal Constitution. Massachusetts has exceeded the Federal standard, Texas has not, as is its right. (whether one agrees or not with the outcome).

I believe in the death penalty.

Not because I think it lowers crime any more than speeding tickets do.

but because it is a punishment on par with the crime.

Also, it's silly to call lethal injection cruel and unusual. Drawing and Quartering is cruel and unusual. If one can take a life with disregard then stop being a pussy about having to go through the same death as your victim.

Forum List

Back