Death Row Inmate Not Allowed To Donate Kidney - Explain This?!?!

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Someone explain the highlighted part to me please. Why do we need to get him back to health just to execute him?

Execution delay denied for transplant

Friday, May 20, 2005 Posted: 6:45 PM EDT (2245 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- Indiana officials recommended Friday that a man facing execution next week should not get clemency, a decision that could end his attempt to donate part of his liver to his sister.

Gregory Johnson, 40, had asked for clemency for legal reasons, or a delay in his May 25 execution date so the transplant could take place.

A spokeswoman for the Indiana Parole Board said the panel's four members voted unanimously to recommend that Johnson be denied clemency. There was no separate vote on a stay, she said.

The final decision on clemency or a stay will be up to Gov. Mitch Daniels who has given the go-ahead to two other executions in the state since taking office earlier this year.

Johnson was sentenced to death for killing an 82-year-old woman during a home break-in in 1985. His 48-year-old sister, Deborah Otis, has said she would like a partial liver transplant from her brother.

Her organ is afflicted with nonalcoholic cirrhosis, though she is not currently on a transplant waiting list because of a temporary medical complication.

During a hearing before the parole board, Johnson's lawyer said blood tests found his liver would be compatible with his sister.

Johnson contended the lethal injection of chemicals used for executions would poison the organ, making a post-execution transplant impossible. There was disagreement among medical experts on whether that would be the case.

If Johnson donates part of his liver, it could take up to two months for him to recover enough to return to death row.

Transplant requests from death row prisoners in the United States have occurred before, though they are unusual, according to Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center.

In 1995, a condemned Delaware man donated a kidney to his mother, and returned to death row. In Alabama, a prisoner awaiting execution won permission for an organ donation, but he was not a correct match, Dieter said.

In a Florida case, an inmate was denied a request to donate a kidney to his brother. The condemned man was later exonerated and released from jail, but his brother died waiting for a transplant, Dieter said.

Seems to me if he's "ailing", they could just let nature take its course, and not sew him back up, not furnish any antibiotics, etc.. In fact, it would be a good deal cheaper to let him bleed to death. They should probably stick him in a bucket, so they don't need to clean up as much, tho.

But then, I'm kinda mean that way.

Shattered said:
Seems to me if he's "ailing", they could just let nature take its course, and not sew him back up, not furnish any antibiotics, etc.. In fact, it would be a good deal cheaper to let him bleed to death. They should probably stick him in a bucket, so they don't need to clean up as much, tho.

But then, I'm kinda mean that way.

If he is ailing, speed up the process!

Take out the liver, feed the drugs into the I.V.

Voila. Dead guy.

GotZoom said:
If he is ailing, speed up the process!

Take out the liver, feed the drugs into the I.V.

Voila. Dead guy.

:cheers2: (Wait til the bleeding hearts of the world get ahold of us...)

Shattered said:
:cheers2: (Wait til the bleeding hearts of the world get ahold of us...)

Bring 'em on...we'll take 'em!

:tank: :chains: :2guns: :death: :firing:

And then of course, time for a

:beer:

You got it wrong. It's:

:beer: and then :tank: and then :beer: and then :chains: and then :beer: and then :2guns: and then :beer: and then....and then....

Shattered said:
You got it wrong. It's:

:beer: and then :tank: and then :beer: and then :chains: and then :beer: and then :2guns: and then :beer: and then....and then....

and then....

you know what is next, don't you?

To celebrate?

GotZoom said:
And with the copious amounts of beer......?

I have the distinct feeling that Joker, and Manu will find this thread soon. :D

Shattered said:
I have the distinct feeling that Joker, and Manu will find this thread soon. :D

Ok...I will tell you.....

Besides copius amounts of beer.....

Attachments

• $york-cookies.jpg
    $york-cookies.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 122
Gonna have to lose weight and quit smokin'...
:redface:
Ex-convict sisters too overweight to share kidney
Wednesday, February 23, 2011; Were released from jail after agreeing to kidney transplant plan
A proposed kidney transplant that won two Mississippi sisters their freedom from prison can't take place until one quits smoking and they lose a combined 160 pounds. Jamie and Gladys Scott had served nearly 16 years of their life sentences for an armed robbery when they were released from a sprawling prison in central Mississippi on Jan. 7. Gov. Haley Barbour granted Jamie Scott an early release because she suffers from kidney failure, but he agreed to let Gladys Scott go on the condition she follow through on an offer to donate a kidney to her sister.

Jamie Scott told The Associated Press on Wednesday that she needs to lose more than 100 pounds and that her sister has to shed 60 pounds before their doctors will even test them for compatibility. Doctors are also requiring Gladys Scott, a heavy smoker, to quit. "I have to stay on her about it, I am helping her to stop smoking," said Jamie, who moved with her sister to Pensacola to be with their mother and children. A personal trainer works twice a week with the sisters. They've also been taking aerobics classes.

Jamie Scott, 38, said she hopes to have a surgery that will help her lose weight so she can get the transplant sooner, but her doctors don't know if she's healthy enough. Florida parole records list her at 5 feet tall and 254 pounds. Gladys Scott, 36, is listed at 4 feet 9 inches tall and 184 pounds. Barbour hasn't responded directly to numerous questions from The Associated Press about whether he'll send the sisters back to prison if the transplant doesn't happen. He's called questions about such a scenario "purely hypothetical."

MORE

Someone explain the highlighted part to me please. Why do we need to get him back to health just to execute him?

Execution delay denied for transplant

Friday, May 20, 2005 Posted: 6:45 PM EDT (2245 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- Indiana officials recommended Friday that a man facing execution next week should not get clemency, a decision that could end his attempt to donate part of his liver to his sister.

Gregory Johnson, 40, had asked for clemency for legal reasons, or a delay in his May 25 execution date so the transplant could take place.

A spokeswoman for the Indiana Parole Board said the panel's four members voted unanimously to recommend that Johnson be denied clemency. There was no separate vote on a stay, she said.

The final decision on clemency or a stay will be up to Gov. Mitch Daniels who has given the go-ahead to two other executions in the state since taking office earlier this year.

Johnson was sentenced to death for killing an 82-year-old woman during a home break-in in 1985. His 48-year-old sister, Deborah Otis, has said she would like a partial liver transplant from her brother.

Her organ is afflicted with nonalcoholic cirrhosis, though she is not currently on a transplant waiting list because of a temporary medical complication.

During a hearing before the parole board, Johnson's lawyer said blood tests found his liver would be compatible with his sister.

Johnson contended the lethal injection of chemicals used for executions would poison the organ, making a post-execution transplant impossible. There was disagreement among medical experts on whether that would be the case.

If Johnson donates part of his liver, it could take up to two months for him to recover enough to return to death row.

Transplant requests from death row prisoners in the United States have occurred before, though they are unusual, according to Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center.

In 1995, a condemned Delaware man donated a kidney to his mother, and returned to death row. In Alabama, a prisoner awaiting execution won permission for an organ donation, but he was not a correct match, Dieter said.

In a Florida case, an inmate was denied a request to donate a kidney to his brother. The condemned man was later exonerated and released from jail, but his brother died waiting for a transplant, Dieter said.

Explain it? The potential recipient is not on the doner waiting list because of a medical condition. The monster in question killed a 82 year old woman during a home invasion.

Forum List

Back