Death Penalty Sins Spelled Out In The Bible

Campbell

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2015
Adultery (Lev 20:10-12, (man and woman).
  • Lying about virginity. Applies to girls who are still in their fathers' homes, who lie about their virginity, and are presented to their husband as a virgin. The accused is guilty until proved innocent. (Deut 22:20-21).
  • Making love to a virgin pledged to be married to another. Applies to man who deflowers virgin pledged to be married, and to the virgin if she does not call for help. (Deut 22:23-24).
  • The daughter of a priest practicing prostitution (death by fire) (Lev 21:9).
  • Rape of someone who is engaged. If she is not engaged you only have to marry her and give her father 50 shekels. No mention is made of the girl’s opinion. (Deut 22:25).
  • Men practicing bestiality. (Both man and animal die). (Lev 20:15)
  • Women practicing bestiality (Both woman and animal die). (Lev 20:16)
  • Having sex with your father’s wife, as distinct from "your mother", as it was common practice for men at the time to have several wives. (both die). (Lev 20:20).
  • Having sex with your daughter in law. (Lev 20:30)
  • Incest. (Lev 20:17)
  • Male homosexuality. The girls seem to get a free .. errrr ...ride on this one. (Lev 20:13).
  • Marrying a woman and her daughter. They are all burnt to death (Lev 20:14)
  • Worshiping idols (Ex 22:20, Lev 20:1-5, Deut 17:2-7).
  • Blasphemy (Lev 24:14-16,23).
  • Breaking the Sabbath (Ex 31:14, Numb 15:32-36).
  • Practicing magic (Ex 22:18).
  • Being a medium or spiritualist. (stoning) (Lev 20:27).
  • Trying to convert people to another religion. (stoning) (Deut 13:1-11, 18:20).
  • Apostasy - If most people in a town come to believe in a different god. (Kill everybody, including animals, and burn the town.) (Deut 13:12-15)
  • Giving one of your descents to Molech. Probably refers to human sacrifice and is not now commonly practiced in the west. (Lev 20:2)
  • Non-priests going near the tabernacle when it is being moved. (Numb 1:51)
  • Being a false prophet. (Deut 132:5, Deut 18:20, Zech 13:2-3)
  • Striking your parents (Ex 21:15).
  • Cursing your parents (Ex 21:17, Lev 20:9).
  • Being a stubborn and rebellious son. And being a profligate and a drunkard. (stoning) (Quite a few of us might have a problem with this one)(Deut 21:18-21)
  • Murder. However if a slave is beaten to death the owner is “punished” — not necessarily killed. If the slave survives the beating then there is no punishment. (Gen 9:6, Ex 21:12, Numb 35:16-21). This is part of a wide range of slavery laws in the Old and New Testament.
  • Kidnapping and selling a man. This is really a law against making an Israelite a slave against his will. (Ex 21:16).
  • Perjury (in certain cases) (Deut 19:15 - 21). Deut 19:20 explicitly identifies that the purpose of this is deterrence. "The rest of the people will hear of this and be afraid, and never again will such an evil thing (malicious and false testimony by one man against another) be done among you." Presumably all the other death penalties are assumed to be for deterrence as well.
  • Ignoring the verdict of a judge – (or a priest!) (Deut 17:8-13).
  • Not penning up a known dangerous bull, if the bull subsequently kills a man or a woman. (Ex 21:29) Both the animal and the reckless owner of the dangerous bull are to be put to death.
  • Living in a city that failed to surrender to the Israelites. (Kill all the men, make the women and children slaves.) Deut 20:12-14.
  • The following carry the punishment of being "cut off from his people". Some people seem to feel that this is the same as the death penalty.
  • A male who is not circumcised. Genesis 17:14
  • Eating leavened bread during the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Exodus 12:15
  • Manufacturing anointing oil. Exodus 30:33
  • Engaging in ritual animal sacrifices other than at the temple. Leviticus 17:1-9
  • Sexual activity with a woman who is menstruating: Leviticus 20:18
  • Consuming blood: This would presumably include eating rare meat and black pudding. Also see above. Leviticus 17:10.
  • Eating peace offerings while ritually unclean: Leviticus 7:20
  • Waiting too long before consuming sacrifices: Leviticus 19:5-8
  • Going to the temple in an unclean state: Numbers 19:13

You have a few things wrong. "Cut off from their people" does not mean the death penalty.

The death penalty made sense back then, but I don't think it does today when a life sentence is practical. In any case, I love the Old Testament and it certainly reflects my values much better than modern culture does.

You have a few things wrong. "Cut off from their people" does not mean the death penalty.

The death penalty made sense back then, but I don't think it does today when a life sentence is practical. In any case, I love the Old Testament and it certainly reflects my values much better than modern culture does.

Which parts, the incest, lies, adultery, worshipping of various gods (idolatry), man willingly giving his virgin daughters to the men of the town to do with what they want, having concubines and sex slaves, or the genocide parts?

Laws of the Old Testament which demand the death penalty
The Old Testament, includes a surprising number of crimes which merit the death penalty as punishment. These laws were believed to form an integral part of the overall "Covenant" between those who worship Yahweh.
A couple of these demand that the "sinners" be burnt to death rather than stoned — which was the more usual form of capital punishment. One can wonder why these crimes in particular merit this especially horrible fate.
  • Adultery (Lev 20:10-12, (man and woman).
  • Lying about virginity. Applies to girls who are still in their fathers' homes, who lie about their virginity, and are presented to their husband as a virgin. The accused is guilty until proved innocent. (Deut 22:20-21).
  • Making love to a virgin pledged to be married to another. Applies to man who deflowers virgin pledged to be married, and to the virgin if she does not call for help. (Deut 22:23-24).
  • Rape of someone who is engaged. If she is not engaged you only have to marry her and give her father 50 shekels. No mention is made of the girl’s opinion. (Deut 22:25).
  • Having sex with your father’s wife, as distinct from "your mother", as it was common practice for men at the time to have several wives. (both die). (Lev 20:20).
  • Male homosexuality. The girls seem to get a free .. errrr ...ride on this one. (Lev 20:13).
  • Trying to convert people to another religion. (stoning) (Deut 13:1-11, 18:20).
  • Apostasy - If most people in a town come to believe in a different god. (Kill everybody, including animals, and burn the town.) (Deut 13:12-15)
  • Giving one of your descents to Molech. Probably refers to human sacrifice and is not now commonly practiced in the west. (Lev 20:2)
  • Being a stubborn and rebellious son. And being a profligate and a drunkard. (stoning) (Quite a few of us might have a problem with this one)(Deut 21:18-21)
  • Murder. However if a slave is beaten to death the owner is “punished” — not necessarily killed. If the slave survives the beating then there is no punishment. (Gen 9:6, Ex 21:12, Numb 35:16-21). This is part of a wide range of slavery laws in the Old and New Testament.
  • Kidnapping and selling a man. This is really a law against making an Israelite a slave against his will. (Ex 21:16).
  • Perjury (in certain cases) (Deut 19:15 - 21). Deut 19:20 explicitly identifies that the purpose of this is deterrence. "The rest of the people will hear of this and be afraid, and never again will such an evil thing (malicious and false testimony by one man against another) be done among you." Presumably all the other death penalties are assumed to be for deterrence as well.
  • Not penning up a known dangerous bull, if the bull subsequently kills a man or a woman. (Ex 21:29) Both the animal and the reckless owner of the dangerous bull are to be put to death.
  • Living in a city that failed to surrender to the Israelites. (Kill all the men, make the women and children slaves.) Deut 20:12-14.
  • The following carry the punishment of being "cut off from his people". Some people seem to feel that this is the same as the death penalty.
  • Engaging in ritual animal sacrifices other than at the temple. Leviticus 17:1-9
  • Consuming blood: This would presumably include eating rare meat and black pudding. Also see above. Leviticus 17:10.

The Old Testament promoted a purist philosophy. It was bound to be inapplicable. It's a standard. Not everybody understands high standards. Realist sometimes dismiss high standards but high standards promotes improvement.

Let me see if I can explain it without using pictures.

If 10 was impossible and you went around telling everybody that they should try to achieve 10 or they would be killed then people would work real hard at being a 10 and miraculously reach 7.5.

A realist would say, "Hey everybody 10 is totally impossible. Let's not be ridiculous hypocrites. Let's try to reach 7.5. 7.5 is totally achievable." The people would put forth an intermediate amount of effort and achieve a realistically 6.2.

Make sense? High standards demand excellence not perfection. It only appears silly but in reality high standards are genius.

How many people were actually executed under Levitical Law? I think they just used language in their culture that demanded excellence. Have they achieved excellence as a people?

Which parts, the incest, lies, adultery, worshipping of various gods (idolatry), man willingly giving his virgin daughters to the men of the town to do with what they want, having concubines and sex slaves, or the genocide parts?

Adultery (Lev 20:10-12, (man and woman).

That's quite a list. I'm going to challenge most of them.

The punishment for adultery is death.

The punishment for not being a virgin when married is death.

The punishment for having sex before marriage is death for the male.

The punishment for the female is death unless she reports the rape.

The punishment for raping an unmarried female is death.

The punishment for beastiality is death.

The punishment for beastiality is death.

I challenge your claim of a death penalty for having sex with your father’s wife.

I challenge your claim of a death penalty for having sex with your daughter in law.

I challenge your claim of a death penalty for committing incest.

The punishment for male homosexuality is death. Lesbian sex isn’t mentioned at all in the Old Testatment. Lesbian sex isn’t mentioned until the book of Romans.

The punishment for marrying a mother and her daughter is death.

The punishment for worshipping idols is death.

The punishment for blasphemy is death.

Numbers 15:32-36 is not a mandate. It is a historical account of something that happened. However Exodus 31:14 does indicate that the punishment for profaning the Sabbath is death. I’m not sure if there is a clear difference between violating the Sabbath and profaning the Sabbath. This one is debatable.

I challenge your claim of a death penalty for practicing magic. You might be right on this one. This could be a difference in terminology from translation to translation. In either case this doesn’t seem to be a clear mandate.

To be continued…….

The Old Testament promoted a purist philosophy. It was bound to be inapplicable. It's a standard. Not everybody understands high standards. Realist sometimes dismiss high standards but high standards promotes improvement.

Let me see if I can explain it without using pictures.

If 10 was impossible and you went around telling everybody that they should try to achieve 10 or they would be killed then people would work real hard at being a 10 and miraculously reach 7.5.

A realist would say, "Hey everybody 10 is totally impossible. Let's not be ridiculous hypocrites. Let's try to reach 7.5. 7.5 is totally achievable." The people would put forth an intermediate amount of effort and achieve a realistically 6.2.

Make sense? High standards demand excellence not perfection. It only appears silly but in reality high standards are genius.

How many people were actually executed under Levitical Law? I think they just used language in their culture that demanded excellence. Have they achieved excellence as a people?

I don't know, and no they have not received excellence , far from it. Apparently they gave up.

I don't know, and no they have not received excellence , far from it. Apparently they gave up.

Interesting observation. They re-established a nation after centuries of gathering wealth throughout the world. They spawned the two largest religions on the planet. Some believe they are puppet masters to the United States government.

bibles.png

These are all Torah laws, Jesus gave us a new covennant and took our place in death to sin. We will pay at judgement day for our sins. But here on earth we render to cesar and God but Jesus did not call for death of anyone. He even ask the first one without sin to cast the first stone at the woman caught in the very act of aduldry.

No Crusader, Inquisitionist are obeying the one they claim to kill for. The only deaths penalty was perfromed by the apostate jews aka jews who called themselc=ves jews but were not. Jesus called them devils. And like their father the devil the inventer of lies.

Antone disagree please feel free to correct me in this opinion or understanding/

Interesting observation. They re-established a nation after centuries of gathering wealth throughout the world. They spawned the two largest religions on the planet. Some believe they are puppet masters to the United States government.
Netanyahu seems to think the US is a pushover. I tend to agree. They received permission from Britain to send people there, I believe to get them out of Britain and to guard the Suez Canal, and they took advantage and even chased the British out, bombed the King David hotel. Now they are stealing the land and killing off the natives, while the US says nothing. They seem to be reliving the OT.

Death penalty and the christian religion are not compatible. Today prisons are save and death is irreversible.

The Old Testament, includes a surprising number of crimes which merit the death penalty as punishment. These laws were believed to form an integral part of the overall "Covenant" between those who worship Yahweh.
No they do not. God is not a short-sighted bureaucrat. The core of the covenant is to follow the principles taught in the Torah. The only eternal laws are the Ten Commandments. All the other laws are simply an application of the Torah principles for that time and place. All of the laws are worth studying to help understand the principles behind them, and then to apply those principles to modern circumstances.

No they do not. God is not a short-sighted bureaucrat. The core of the covenant is to follow the principles taught in the Torah. The only eternal laws are the Ten Commandments. All the other laws are simply an application of the Torah principles for that time and place. All of the laws are worth studying to help understand the principles behind them, and then to apply those principles to modern circumstances.

All ancient "god worship" is bull shit.....I rest my case!

Do you need a new aluminum liner for your hat?

All ancient "god worship" is bull shit.....I rest my case!

Do you need a new aluminum liner for your hat?

I think fschmidt is right. The Torah gives you two choices: life or death. The things that have the potential to cause death are frowned upon. The things that have the potential to cause life are celebrated. Eating shrimp, lobster, catfish and other bottom feeders is one good example. Even in modern times we know that the bycatch when catching bottom feeders is 5 pounds per 1 pound of the intended catch. Other types of fish can be caught with little to no bycatch. Eating shrimp shows that you choose life over death. Another example is that you cannot have sex with a woman on her period. A woman's period is literally the death of an egg that had the potential for life. That was a time for the woman to mourn the loss of life not to celebrate in joyous sex. Semen shooting into any place other than a female vagina is also considered the loss of human life. That is why male homosexuality was viewed as anti-life thus death. Female homosexuality isn't mentioned at all in the Old Testament. Adultery, stealing, murder, bearing false witness are all actions that can lead to your own death. Those practices were to be avoided as well. The Book of Leviticus is an exaggerated and impractical guide for showing the ultimate respect for life in every aspect of your day to day activities.

The Levitical law isn't all that ridiculous if you understand the high standard that is being presented. When you say, "Don't eat shrimp because it's bad." it has little effect. When you say, "Eating shrimp is an abomination." it has a more dramatic impact to inspire an aversion. When you say, "Don't join another religion or you shall surely be put to death." it has an even greater emotional appeal to avoid that behavior. The Hebrew culture respects life. If you know any Jewish people personally then you probably notice they treat people differently than the average person. There were even rituals for killing the animals that they ate for meat because this was a sad occasion as well. The animal had to die so that we may live.

Leviticus is my favorite book of the Bible. I just wish people understood that it is written as a standard not an absolute.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back