Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Right leaning & pro capital punishment

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Right leaning & anti capital punishment

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • Right leaning & ambivalent

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
I don't understand people who claim the government is incompetent at everything that it does, but still willingly give the government power to kill.

One single falsely convicted person being executed is enough of a reason for me not to support capital punishment - and there have been hundreds, if not thousands.
data to support please
To be taken seriously when a poster makes a statement like that as FACT data /stats are required
Here's a bunch.
Executed But Possibly Innocent | Death Penalty Information Center

I am shocked that 6 out of 9 of those were in Texas.

And by "shocked" I mean "not at all shocked".

Im not alined with either of the two main parties ,a free thinker
I think CP should be avialable for certain crimes and used sparinly
not sure whether life I mean* with out parole * for a younger person is more of a punishment then death

I don't understand people who claim the government is incompetent at everything that it does, but still willingly give the government power to kill.

One single falsely convicted person being executed is enough of a reason for me not to support capital punishment - and there have been hundreds, if not thousands.
data to support please
To be taken seriously when a poster makes a statement like that as FACT data /stats are required
Here's a bunch.
that articule says * possibly * you said FACT .... this articule has some *facts * inserted into the mix by activist attorneys to plant some doubt thats their objective
EXAMPLE FROM ARTICLE
in this case it is stated say the punishment was to severe NOT THAT SHE WAS INNOCENT
read the article carefully .

ber 15, 2009). See also Race and Innocence.

Georgia Board to Pardon Woman 60 Years After Her Execution - The Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles has announced that it will issue a formal pardon this month for Lena Baker (pictured), the only woman executed in the state during the 20th century. The document, signed by all five of the current board members, will note that the parole board's 1945 decision to deny Baker clemency and allow her execution was "a grievous error, as this case called out for mercy." Baker, an African American, was executed for the murder of Ernest Knight, a white man who hired her . Baker was tried, convicted, and sentenced to die in one day by an all-white, all-male jury. Baker claimed she shot Knight in self-defense after he locked her in his gristmill and threatened her with a metal pipe. The pardon notes that Baker "could have been charged with voluntary manslaughter, rather than murder, for the death of E.B. Knight." The average sentence for voluntary manslaughter is 15 years in prison. Baker's picture and her last words are currently displayed near the retired electric chair at a museum at Georgia State Prison in Reidsville. (Atlanta Journal-Constitution, August 16, 2005). See Race, Clemency and Women.

Last edited:
data to support please
Here's a bunch.
that articule says * possibly * you said FACT .... this articule has some *facts * inserted into the mix by activist attorneys to plant some doubt thats their objective

"Possibly" is enough for me. But are you really trying to claim that we've never executed an innocent man?

Capital punishment is one of the few issues best left to the states to address – what the majority decides is appropriate.

However, advocates of capital punishment can’t also in good faith demand ‘time limits’ on appeals or limit the number of appeals in capital cases.

FACT in some states capital punishment is asked for by the prosecution its up to the PEOPLE (you and i the jury ) to recommend it
the state does not have the power in its self to execute .

Good poll. I am tied ( and one-half opposite ) with "right-leaning anti-capital punishment." Whoops, just checked again and am in the lead...
I'm ambivalent and right-leaning. The reason is because too many people are railroaded in by two collaborating witnesses and their supporters who may have committed the crime themselves. In Illinois, there is a "Project Innocence" that found that 11 prisoners on death row in Illinois did not commit the crimes for which they were sentenced to death. It caused a governor to suspend the death penalty in his state until he fulfilled his term.

When I first learned of the Innocence Project, I became anti-death penalty, but as time wore on, I saw that there are some who should never, never be allowed to see daylight again. This would happen in the event of a natural catastrophe such as a flood or earthquake on prison grounds. The evacuation could result in the escape of a serial killer who would just continue his crime. Maybe the public would be served if this type of criminal was disabled from hurting others for good.

The Innocence Project

The problem with your hypothetical is that it hasn't happened - whereas hundreds of innocent people have been executed unjustly.

The odds of someone escaping a SuperMax facility are lower than the odds of a lethal injection not working.
The trouble with your analysis is that there wasn't one made by you.

Here's one who escaped while being transported.

Here are 450 who escaped through a tunnel. 100 of them were Taliban commanders

4,000 prisoners escaped in Haiti in the hurricane/tsunami that hit there in 2010

A Mass Murderer Escapes from Jail

In the Afghanistan break, a number of those people may have made it to this country, where they would likely go underground as part of a cell of our nation's most dangerous enemies.

Haiti is not that far from our country either.

The mass murderer who escaped in Srikakulam likely would have left his country and gone someplace else, too.

There goes your theory that nothing can go wrong that could bring a mass murderer into the population of our nation.

Even so, theDoctorsIn, I respect your opinion. I'm still maintaining my ambivalent attitude because I just don't trust the system, and I don't trust the criminally incarcerated mass murderers who eluded authorities sometimes for 3 or 4 decades. Their lives are built around elusive maneuvers including moving every 3 or 4 hours, days, or months, never more than a year anywhere, disappearing as quietly as the day they arrived in someone's community, doing who know how many repeat crimes.

FACT in some states capital punishment is asked for by the prosecution its up to the PEOPLE (you and i the jury ) to recommend it
the state does not have the power in its self to execute .

I trust 12 randomly selected people (who were too stupid to get out of jury duty) even less than I trust the government.

data to support please
Here's a bunch.

remember texas has the 2nd largest population in the US
kindy makes the stats more comparable

I have a feeling I'm going to stay a small minority as an anti-capital punishment conservative.

One of the leading reasons I am against capital punishment is because it is not administrated fairly. People who can afford good lawyers have so much better chance at getting out of it than poor people.

Since justice can't be blind, and since it does appear that people have been condemned to death who were innocent, I have slowly abandoned the capital punishment position I was raised to believe in.

For those reasons and NO ONE who calls himself or herself a fiscal conservative could possibly support capital punishment. It costs 8 to 10 times more than life without parole.
money should not be a consideration in justice
so do you support the war on drugs that costs billions of dollars and many innocent lives ???

remember texas has the 2nd largest population in the US
kindy makes the stats more comparable

Since 1982, the State of Texas has executed 474 people.
Since 1974, the United States has executed a total of 1,267.

Texas has executed 37% of the total number of people executed in this country, with a population that is about 8% of the United States.

How's that for "statistics"?

"Possibly" is enough for me. But are you really trying to claim that we've never executed an innocent man?

im not knowledgeable enough to say NEVER nothing is NEVER but i have faith in our system, for you to say we have executed hundreds of innocent citizens is a assumption i find deployable
i will agree we are human and mistakes can be made usually its the guilty go free as in simpson/ and antony cases .and as yet there is no proof we have erred and executed a innocent person ,
when you give me unquestionable proof we have i will of course change my stance on CP
as it is i wish it to be a *option * to only be used for punishment for certain crimes .
remember the system is set up in the accused favor there are many
many avenues for appeal over many years and now we have D&A and many reason for commuting to life in prison

Last edited:
The death penalty is an archaic custom

The US is one of the few nations on earth to still use it.

Muslim extremists, the US, China and India are the remaining few

Perhaps.. but a lot of non-death penalty countries just throw you in shit hole of stench and disease to rot and die.

Hardly humanitarian.

Perhaps.. but a lot of non-death penalty countries just throw you in shit hole of stench and disease to rot and die.

Hardly humanitarian.

The US was one of the last countries on earth to give up on slavery

We are now one of the last countries to hold onto capital punishment

Forum List

Back