Death penalty is wrong

Perhaps I wasn't clear, but what I meant was you are stuck with such painless methods because of the Constitution. But if you're using painless methods for retribution, what's the point?

the point is justice. But, I have no problem with going back to hanging or firing squad. Hell, if it's good enough tor dictators and solders then it's good enough for killers.

I try to think of what the victim would want. I would think they would usually like their murderer to have to work in prison like a slave paying money to help his/her family that they left behind. And in that case if the person had been innocent at least they have some meaning and purpose to their life.

Methods of execution do have an interesting history, though. Hanging is not especially painful provided it is done correctly so that the neck snaps right away. A botched hanging isn't much worse than the gas chamber, though. Hanging just looks kind of gruesome for people watching compared to lethal injection. Guillotine is pretty humane too, but looks pretty bad. Firing squad, however, would be painful. Not on the level of crucifying, breaking on the wheel, burning, or stoning, but pretty bad. The Bible seems to prefer stoning. I always wondered why.

I thnk the victim would want to not be a victiim. If a person is murdered, that cannot be undone.

I think a rapist or murderer ought to work for the rest of his to repay the debt that cannot be repaid.

I think he ought to face the families of the victim and be made to listen to how his deeds affected them--but only if the surviving family want that. Some do.

I think the murderer ought to have access to spiritual practices to change his mind and heart-whenever possible.

Jarvis Masters is one of those kinds of death row inmates. He is willing to pay for the rest of his life for his crimes, and he is benefiting others through his writing and through how he works with other prisoners on death row.

Executing a man like Jarvis would be a waste. Some inmates have the extraordinary capacity to change. That doesn't mean he should be released from prison, it just means that some are able to use their terrible mistakes to benefit others.

Last edited:
the point is justice. But, I have no problem with going back to hanging or firing squad. Hell, if it's good enough tor dictators and solders then it's good enough for killers.

I try to think of what the victim would want. I would think they would usually like their murderer to have to work in prison like a slave paying money to help his/her family that they left behind. And in that case if the person had been innocent at least they have some meaning and purpose to their life.

Methods of execution do have an interesting history, though. Hanging is not especially painful provided it is done correctly so that the neck snaps right away. A botched hanging isn't much worse than the gas chamber, though. Hanging just looks kind of gruesome for people watching compared to lethal injection. Guillotine is pretty humane too, but looks pretty bad. Firing squad, however, would be painful. Not on the level of crucifying, breaking on the wheel, burning, or stoning, but pretty bad. The Bible seems to prefer stoning. I always wondered why.

I thnk the victim would want to not be a victiim. If a person is murdered, that cannot be undone.

I think a rapist or murderer ought to work for the rest of his to repay the debt that cannot be repaid.

I think he ought to face the families of the victim and be made to listen to how his deeds affected them--but only if the surviving family want that. Some do.

I think the murderer ought to have access to spiritual practices to change his mind and heart-whenever possible.

Jarvis Masters is one of those kinds of death row inmates. He is willing to pay for the rest of his life for his crimes, and he is benefiting others through his writing and through how he works with other prisoners on death row.

Executing a man like Jarvis would be a waste. Some inmates have the extraordinary capacity to change. That doesn't mean he should be released from prison, it just means that some are able to use their terrible mistakes to benefit others.

I agree with you Sky. If at all possible the condemned should be allowed the opportunity to redeem themselves. Haven't we all made stupid mistakes? Wouldn't it suck if no one could see past that and give us at least the chance to try to redeem ourselves?

How about Ted Bundy?

How about Dahmer? Better known otherwise as Jeffrey Dahmer?

John Wayne Gacy is another emmy award winner. His wearing of clown outfits actually inspired the character IT in Stephen King's novel of the same name.

Then there is BTK. Gerard John Schaefer and many others.

NONE of these men deserve compassion nor mercy.

Look up what Dahmer and Gacy did to their victims. Or even Bundy, hell one time Bundy killed one girl three times by bringing her back to life twice because his fantasy of her death face wasn't right until the 3rd time.

:cuckoo:

The death penalty is morally, socially and spiritually wrong. It is not a good measure of strength, neither does it settle the issue of crime. It is just the bloody thirst of some to feel that killing a criminal would ease their pains.

No one should encourage crime. In fact, society should be very firm on crime, but must address the issue from the point of civilized solution and not follow the narrow path of the criminal tendencies itself. Anyone that supports the death penalty is in support of organized killing. Society for no reason must not be a murderer and supporting such is wrong.

Society or the laws must never be weak, but true strength if anyone truly wants to know comes from the inside. When you forgive and help the criminal to recover their true value and position, you have used one stone to kill many birds. One, you have save a life and may have turn the light to a generation that would bless the world and two, the true enemy is disgraced and exposed, who is the evil spirit. Let us concentrate more on how to fight the evil spirit out of our systems by encouraging good values and taking godly positions.

Hate the sin and not the sinner. Strength is to give life and not to take life. The criminal was wrong for whatever he or she did, but society must show an example of what is right by doing the right thing. Punish the criminal severely within civilized laws, killing the criminal is not civilized.

When your 5 year old daughter has been raped and mutilated slowly over a period of 5 days-- then her arms cut off while alive and finally beheaded-- wait there’s more... AND then you find out that the man who did such was just released from a “life” prison sentence because he was allowed to go free due to “good” behavior a few months before he grabbed your baby-- get back to me on why the death penalty is a “crime”. Oh and while your at it—try to get over your nightmares where you hear your little girl screaming “mommy stop him” or “help me” or “Mommy where are you”….

Some men deserve to die—they deserve to die the same way they took a life—they stripped another of their human rights and no longer deserve a damn thing but death.

CaféAuLait;1070293 said:
When your 5 year old daughter has been raped and mutilated slowly over a period of 5 days-- then her arms cut off while alive and finally beheaded-- wait there’s more... AND then you find out that the man who did such was just released from a “life” prison sentence because he was allowed to go free due to “good” behavior a few months before he grabbed your baby-- get back to me on why the death penalty is a “crime”. Oh and while your at it—try to get over your nightmares where you hear your little girl screaming “mommy stop him” or “help me” or “Mommy where are you”….

Some men deserve to die—they deserve to die the same way they took a life—they stripped another of their human rights and no longer deserve a damn thing but death.

In which jurisdiction did this occur?

Many, if not most, murders are really one-time occurrences. They are usually either spontaneous, for example a fight that goes too far or a husband who catches his wife in bed with another man, or may be premeditated but against a specific individual, such as a wife who kills her husband in order to cash in on the insurance or a businessman who kills a rival. Good, solid arguments can be made for life sentences because these individuals are highly unlikely to murder again.

The problem comes with those who murder without remorse such as the professional hitman who murders as long as he gets paid or the serial killer whose acts of violence either turn him on or perhaps disgust him yet he still feels compelled to murder due to some deep rooted psychological reason. These are people who will murder again. No amount of rehabilitation will work; these are people who either get some pleasure out of murder or who otherwise have no inhibition about murder.

Pretty difficult to draw the line as to who deserves the death penalty and who doesn't. Nothing hits harder than an adult who murders a toddler, especially if it involves a particularly brutal act of violence.

Make no mistake, some folks simply don't deserve to live after they've committed one of these heinous acts.

CaféAuLait;1070293 said:

If what you claim is true, and I have my doubts, then the people who released him from prison are to blame and it is they who should be punished.

CaféAuLait;1070293 said:

If what you claim is true, and I have my doubts, then the people who released him from prison are to blame and it is they who should be punished.

I'd like to see a link to this story.

Imprisonment for life costs me too much money. As far as I am concerned if they get sentenced to life in prison, kill them and save my money for something more useful.

An innocent person who is convicted and sentenced to life can be released afterward. Dead is dead, end of story. But hey, I guess it would be worth killing innocent people to save you money right?

Damn, the Canadian idiot started another thread and I missed out all this time.

Death Penalty is not the problem, it never was. The only flaw was in the courts, before DNA evidence was submittable. Now however, as more innocent people are released and the truly dangerous ones are being rounded up, it should be fire squads for the lot. Most never want to change, and often the more dangerous a criminal is the less likely they are willing to stop. With a few exceptions, repeat murderers should be rid of, as well as any crimes against children. The problem is they aren't televised enough now.

How about Ted Bundy?

How about Dahmer? Better known otherwise as Jeffrey Dahmer?

John Wayne Gacy is another emmy award winner. His wearing of clown outfits actually inspired the character IT in Stephen King's novel of the same name.

Then there is BTK. Gerard John Schaefer and many others.

NONE of these men deserve compassion nor mercy.

Look up what Dahmer and Gacy did to their victims. Or even Bundy, hell one time Bundy killed one girl three times by bringing her back to life twice because his fantasy of her death face wasn't right until the 3rd time.

:cuckoo:

what about bin laden or mcveigh?

I'm all for the death penalty. And none of this 'lethal injection' crap. I'd administer death by the 'do unto others' rule.

I'm also in favor of the three strikes and you're out rule for lesser crimes. Give the chance to redeem but if failure to redeem occurs, firing squad.

Sky, it's not revenge, hell it's not even about the justice, it's self defense. When you know someone is a threat to others and there is no way to get them to change their ways ... the law of "kill or be killed" takes place. You can't leave them in prison the rest of their lives. The really sad part is some even asked for the death penalty but were denied because of the opponents (they suffer more in prison and many find death too good for them).

We see it differently, Kitten. Self-defense is in the moment. Vengeance is planned killing--it's murder with a revenge motivation.

I'm a staunch death penalty abolitionist for many reasons.

Last edited:
We see it differently, Kitten. Self-defense is in the moment. Vengeance is planned killing--it's murder with a revenge motivation.

I'm a staunch abolitionist about the death penalty for many reasons.

you didn't answer my question.

so you think bin Laden should have "3 hots and a cot" for the rest if his life if he were captured?

I think he should be tried for his crimes.

and if found guilty for the murder of 3000+?

I'm against the death penalty. Period. If an individual is killed who is about to blow up a building with 3000 people in it, and he is caught in the act and killed before he can strike, that's different. That is self-defense.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back