Death of a pet

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Hi everyone - I thought a lot about whether to post anything because I don't want to appear like I'm just looking for sympathy. Then I decided I have some advice, which I'd like to share.

I had to have my cat "Boo" put down yesterday. He had an obstruction in his throat which varied from being just annoying to him to bothering him so much that he sometimes couldn't eat. Finally, after four days, it got to the point where he was acting like he was in a trance and when he was very briefly up and about, would only drink water and nibble at food, then go back to his safe hiding place.

So I decided, after four years and the vet previously telling me that since he didn't know what was causing the obstruction and would would need to do exploratory surgery, that it was time to have him euthanized (he was also around 13 years old). Well the cat has always been xenophobic, and never liked being picked up or held, but he was fiercely attached to me (and me alone). I knew that just to get him into a carrier to take him to the vet again (bad, bloody experience the first time), that transporting him myself was out of the question. So, I called the mobile vet unit and had them come to the house to put him down.

My advice is if you can avoid that situation--having your frightened cat's (or dog's) last memory that of looking at you as though you have betrayed him while these strange men are chasing and trying to grab it--choose a more humane and compassionate option. After all, animals in the wild go off alone to hide and then die and they probably die of starvation before some wild critter starts attacking them. I wish with all my heart I could have been able to just hold my cat and let him know that I was hurting as much as he was, instead of putting him through such a horrible ending.

Thanks for reading my sad story.

I know the pain of having to put down a family pet. It's a difficult situation and you have my sincere sympathy. I know right now you have questions and doubts wondering if you did the right thing. You acted in a humane way and showed the kind of responsibility that all pet owners should possess. When it's the proper time for you to do so, find yourself another cat to love.

I know the pain of having to put down a family pet. It's a difficult situation and you have my sincere sympathy. I know right now you have questions and doubts wondering if you did the right thing. You acted in a humane way and showed the kind of responsibility that all pet owners should possess. When it's the proper time for you to do so, find yourself another cat to love.

That's what everyone says, but I don't think I can do that. It was ten years after I had to put my arthritic Cocker Spaniel down before I was given this cat (and I really only did it as a favor for someone who didn't like his temperament). I would much rather donate money to the local humane society or ferral cat rescue people so that other people can make those tough decisions. For now, anyway. Thanks for the reply.

I am sorry for your loss. Nothing will fill that empty place in your heart.. but a new kitten might help you focus on making another place for a new pet.

Maggie,

So sorry for your loss. You did what you thought was best at the time and you never had any mean thoughts toward your dear cat.

I'm the one in my family who gets asked to take the pet to the vet for the last time and it never gets any easier and I still remember leaning with my back against the wall of the Animal Medical Center in Manhattan after I had to say goodbye to my favorite dog.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

i never feel like i did it at the right time...killing your beloved pet is never easy....you always feel like it was too soon or too late....and you do have a hole in your heart...people are telling you to adopt...while you still feel the pain....cause that is how we all have coped with it...and seriously...why let an animal suffer in humane cause you are afraid of the pain..its the choice we all make when we get a puppy or kitten...we care for them well...and suddenly we get the screwball of fate...you find your loved pet has renal failure or bone cancer....you suffer, you cry...but most of all you take that chance again....you put yourself out there and pick up a warm little body and when it falls in with you....you go on...

i am sorry for the pain....but pain is part of it all.

go on...get another one....post its pics...you may want to post the pics of your lost one too....

A friend and I were reminiscing over the dogs he has had over the years of our friendship. He has one who is elderly now, deaf, blind, wanders around the place, sleeps under rigs, will have some bad days then rally...but he's nearing the end. I remember when he came to the place. Before that, there was Casey, and he felt the same way. He wouldn't take an old, dear friend to the vet to be put down. He'd do it himself if he had to. But luckily, he has a friend who is a neighbor who is also a primo vetrinarian. He asked the vet to stop by the tackroom, and his dog friend slipped away while doing what he had done for so many years...resting on a very thick saddle pad in a cozy tack room, surrounded by the familiar.

But it isn't always so nice..not for animals, and not for pets, either.

The best advice I can think of to give you is to make sure your next pet is properly socialized and you're able to handle it.

Hi everyone - I thought a lot about whether to post anything because I don't want to appear like I'm just looking for sympathy. Then I decided I have some advice, which I'd like to share.

I had to have my cat "Boo" put down yesterday. He had an obstruction in his throat which varied from being just annoying to him to bothering him so much that he sometimes couldn't eat. Finally, after four days, it got to the point where he was acting like he was in a trance and when he was very briefly up and about, would only drink water and nibble at food, then go back to his safe hiding place.

So I decided, after four years and the vet previously telling me that since he didn't know what was causing the obstruction and would would need to do exploratory surgery, that it was time to have him euthanized (he was also around 13 years old). Well the cat has always been xenophobic, and never liked being picked up or held, but he was fiercely attached to me (and me alone). I knew that just to get him into a carrier to take him to the vet again (bad, bloody experience the first time), that transporting him myself was out of the question. So, I called the mobile vet unit and had them come to the house to put him down.

My advice is if you can avoid that situation--having your frightened cat's (or dog's) last memory that of looking at you as though you have betrayed him while these strange men are chasing and trying to grab it--choose a more humane and compassionate option. After all, animals in the wild go off alone to hide and then die and they probably die of starvation before some wild critter starts attacking them. I wish with all my heart I could have been able to just hold my cat and let him know that I was hurting as much as he was, instead of putting him through such a horrible ending.

Oh my God....that is about the saddest story i have ever read about ones pet....I'm so sorry...you got me sobbing here! :(

we have a 12 year old cat that we both adore and love...she totally trusts us, in every manner!

lately, the hubby and i have had discussions on what we would do, when and if she became ill...the thought of euthanizing her still is uncomprehendable to me....i will heed your advice....be certain!

oh, gosh...i can empathize and sense your sickened and sad feelings...i am sorry...again. :(

care

Aww, I'm so sorry.

You couldn't let him suffer so. I tell you, it is really traumatic when you lose a pet and this didn't sound very easy for you to watch. You stayed though.

Try not to relive the end too awfully much. Think of him when he was alive and feeling good as soon as you can.

I'd be crying for a month! However, I believe you did the right thing. Your cats last few minutes were stressful, but spent a lifetime of happiness with you. Mourn, forgive yourself and think happy thoughts. When you feel better, consider visiting an animal shelter and spending time with the animals. Even though we have a house full of pets and will not adopt any new ones anytime soon, we frequently go to give them some much needed attention.

Had the same kind of event happen with me a few years back.

Vets really should be able to give us a pill to put down our animals such that their moments on earth aren't so is traumatizing.

You and your late beastie have my sincerest sympathy, Maggie.

Maggie,

So sorry for your loss. You did what you thought was best at the time and you never had any mean thoughts toward your dear cat.

I'm the one in my family who gets asked to take the pet to the vet for the last time and it never gets any easier and I still remember leaning with my back against the wall of the Animal Medical Center in Manhattan after I had to say goodbye to my favorite dog.

Thank you very much. Life goes on but I haven't cried this much in years.

A friend and I were reminiscing over the dogs he has had over the years of our friendship. He has one who is elderly now, deaf, blind, wanders around the place, sleeps under rigs, will have some bad days then rally...but he's nearing the end. I remember when he came to the place. Before that, there was Casey, and he felt the same way. He wouldn't take an old, dear friend to the vet to be put down. He'd do it himself if he had to. But luckily, he has a friend who is a neighbor who is also a primo vetrinarian. He asked the vet to stop by the tackroom, and his dog friend slipped away while doing what he had done for so many years...resting on a very thick saddle pad in a cozy tack room, surrounded by the familiar.

The best advice I can think of to give you is to make sure your next pet is properly socialized and you're able to handle it.

Thanks. That's what I keep wishing I had done. Just allow him to die naturally. Before I called the mobile vet, who couldn't come for a full day after I realized Boo needed to be put to sleep, I argued with my sister (who had given me the cat) that I should just allow him to die rather than put him through what I knew would be a helluva cat fight (literally) to catch him, unless he was too weak to fight back. But she insisted it was more inhumane to allow him the starve to death. Now I wonder... I suppose it's the guilt more than anything.

Thank you everyone. You'll never know how much I appreciate some of you putting aside your political differences with me. I guess it goes to show we're all pretty much alike when it comes down to dealing with occasions like this. I also appreciate all the positive reps some of you have given, but I honestly had no ulterior motive there!!

I feel much better. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll get up enough courage to take some stuff like unopened food and clean cat beds (one for every window!) down to the human society and take a peek at the orphans. If I decided on one, I think the staff there would be helpful in their advice for how to handle similar situations in the future.

Maggie,

These kind of decisions are so hard. We had one cat where we were lucky the vet came to our home to put him to sleep - he was mostly out of it by then, but at least the last little bit was unstressful. He was shy and hated leaving the house.

When I have had dogs put to sleep I have always gone with them and held them - I would never let their last experience be with in strange arms or frightening - but it is so very hard.

Thanks. That's what I keep wishing I had done. Just allow him to die naturally. Before I called the mobile vet, who couldn't come for a full day after I realized Boo needed to be put to sleep, I argued with my sister (who had given me the cat) that I should just allow him to die rather than put him through what I knew would be a helluva cat fight (literally) to catch him, unless he was too weak to fight back. But she insisted it was more inhumane to allow him the starve to death. Now I wonder... I suppose it's the guilt more than anything.

Your sister was wrong about the starving aspect not being painful for cats. I will leave my comments there, as this isn't a debate thread.

Putting a cherished loved one to sleep is never easy. I have been treating animals at a hospital for almost 15 years, and never get used to it emotionally, especially when I know the animal. Three weeks ago, my best four-legged friend in the world ( english bulldog ) had to be put to sleep. His hips were gone and he could no longer walk like he should and wanted to. The rest of him was doing fairly well, but at 10 years old, he was showing his age for a bulldog. The owners were so broken up about it, they dropped Wyatt Earp off at the hospital. I had known Wyatt since he was a little person. We were bestest friends. I have pictures of him in my house. His mom would bring him up to the hospital a lot, so he could say hi to me, and visit. I was the one that put my best canine friend in the world down. I leaned down, whispered in his ear "I love you Earpie," gave him a hug. and then gave him the shot. It was his time. I knew it. He knew it. Even though we both knew, it didn't make it any easier for me. That part of the job stinks.

As to the mobile vet, it is not easy coming to someone's home on the pet's home turf, and trying to treat them. The vet is at a disadvantage. I am sure the vet did the very best job he or she could do for you and your believed family member. Your cat may have been stressed out regardless of the scenario. Cats have that "sense" when something is "up" or wrong with them or us humans. If you had tried to put your cat in a carrier again, you could have gotten hurt. If the cat had bitten you, the vet would not have been able to help your cat pass on. That is the law.

From what you mentioned, it sounds like you did the right thing for your family member. Giving an injection, is the least amount of stress and pain on the animal. You saved your beloved friend a lot of misery by not prolonging things. That wouldn't have done you any good to see your friend suffer. Don't beat yourself up. Focus on the wonderful memories shared. You showed the ultimate love for your cherished friend.

Maggie, I'm so sorry about Boo. I've lost pets in my life and . . . it sucks. :sad:

It would never have occurred to me to see if the vet could come to the house (we have the same problem w/our cat in taking him to the vet - damn cats can sure draw the blood, can't they?). Thanks for posting that.

Even though you're in pain, you did the right thing because . . . he's no longer in pain.

Maggie.. I'm so sorry for what you had to go through. It's a tough decision to have to make and we all can only do the best we can. It sounds as if you gave Boo a good life and a painless death. What more can any of us ask?

Forum List

Back