Death.. Moving On..?

Does the bottom line between the faithful and the non-believers come down to this?

I have faith that when my body dies, my spirit is moving on..

My brother believes that when his body dies, that's it, you're just a memory..

Key questions here...

Move on to where, and when exactly?

Also, what scripture(s) are you basing your understanding of the state of the dead on?

I'm far more interested in your view actually...

I have both faith and confusion, honestly..

I think that this conscious energy we call our spirit is so used to residing in our physical bodies that after death it retains certain properties, but only momentarily - maybe hours or years or decades.

Perhaps not properties of sight, smell, hearing, or touch- but a consciousness nonetheless.

But I tend to agree with Lumpy 2... this eventually disipates into the ether and we continue to exist only in the memories of the living.

I tend to think of "spirit" as a mental energy of sorts, or possibly a creative energy of some type. It seems to me that what you are describing is more of an emotional footprint that might retain some physical properties. It's an interesting subject no doubt.

Does the bottom line between the faithful and the non-believers come down to this?

Key questions here...

Also, what scripture(s) are you basing your understanding of the state of the dead on?

If you base your faith on Scripture, which is the Bible, then you should have no worry, as it's pretty clear on the matter of death.

It begins at the beginning, Genesis...in defining what a living soul is. Many, and most Christians today are very, very confused on this matter. They tend to view it as 2 seperate things. The two separate things being the spirt and the body.

However, let's take a look at what Scripture says...

Genesis 2:7 KJV - And the LORD God formed man of the dust - Bible Gateway
Genesis 2:7 said:
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Note, the words "and man BECAME"...it's a formula. 1 + 1 = 2. That formula = dust from the ground + God's breath = a living soul. A living soul = a human. I'm a living soul, you're a living soul. We are living souls. It's not a spirit separate and apart by itself with a shell around it, as many Christians tend to interpret it. Its one plus one equals two. And that was set and defined from the very beginning.

Now there are a few Scriptures that many tend to argue and/or think refers to a spirit as separate, however I'll address those as they are brought up. I know which ones they are and I expect them. I'll just wait until they are brought up to address them.

With that said, now that we know what life is, that is, to be a living soul. We now are concerned with what death is. Scripture addresses that as well, and quite clearly.
Ecclesiastes 9:5 KJV - For the living know that they shall die - Bible Gateway
Ecclesiastes 9:5 said:
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing;
they have no further reward,
and even their name is forgotten.
Decided to provide both the KJV and the NIV for clarity. Here you see Scripture stating that at the point of death, that's it. No more consciousness. Do you know when you are asleep? No, you only are aware when you awake. Then you know you've been asleep. Similar scenario here.

Hebrews 9:27 NIV - Just as people are destined to die - Bible Gateway
Hebrews 9:27 said:
Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,
Here you see Scripture teaching us that we die once. That is to be clear on the matter. Many Christians have this belief in purgatory, or being able to pay for or pray for your soul after death to get into Heaven and other such unBiblical, and truthfully, Pagan beliefs. However, you will not find any evidence of that in Scripture. Also, many Christians have this belief of going to Heaven (or Hell) at thepoint of death. Again, a misunderstanding of Scripture. As you see the text says "and after that to face judgement." That final passage is in accordance with John 3:16. Who is Jesus returning for if all have already gone to Heaven or Hell?

You see, Scripture does not go against or counter Scripture. In the cases where it SEEMS that way, one has to read and study the text again and understand the context.

It's just like the English language. I can say "Man that's a bad jacket." Now someone thousands of years from now, or in another culture would say "Boy, he really doesn't like that jacket." However, one who knows, or one who takes a look into the context of the entire statement. "Man, that's a bad jacket. Where can I get me one like that?" will understand that I really meant it's a good jacket, in fact a great jacket, so much so that I want to know where I can purchase it for myself. The word "bad" is normally bad, however, in the context its actually good. The Bible works the same way.

Many, however, take things out of context. Some ignorantly, others willfully, trying to twist things to their own liking, understanding and/or biases.

Does that square away with your understanding of death? If not, does that clear things up for you?

Last edited:

A wise man (a brilliant & famed science fiction author) once observed that he had NOT been alive for billions of years BEFORE he WAS alive, and it hadn't bothered him one bit THEN.

Key questions here...

If you base your faith on Scripture, which is the Bible, then you should have no worry, as it's pretty clear on the matter of death.

It begins at the beginning, Genesis...in defining what a living soul is. Many, and most Christians today are very, very confused on this matter. They tend to view it as 2 seperate things. The two separate things being the spirt and the body.

Note, the words "and man BECAME"...it's a formula. 1 + 1 = 2. That formula = dust from the ground + God's breath = a living soul. A living soul = a human. I'm a living soul, you're a living soul. We are living souls. It's not a spirit separate and apart by itself with a shell around it, as many Christians tend to interpret it. Its one plus one equals two. And that was set and defined from the very beginning.

Now there are a few Scriptures that many tend to argue and/or think refers to a spirit as separate, however I'll address those as they are brought up. I know which ones they are and I expect them. I'll just wait until they are brought up to address them.

With that said, now that we know what life is, that is, to be a living soul. We now are concerned with what death is. Scripture addresses that as well, and quite clearly.

For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing;
they have no further reward,
and even their name is forgotten.
Decided to provide both the KJV and the NIV for clarity. Here you see Scripture stating that at the point of death, that's it. No more consciousness. Do you know when you are asleep? No, you only are aware when you awake. Then you know you've been asleep. Similar scenario here.

Here you see Scripture teaching us that we die once. That is to be clear on the matter. Many Christians have this belief in purgatory, or being able to pay for or pray for your soul after death to get into Heaven and other such unBiblical, and truthfully, Pagan beliefs. However, you will not find any evidence of that in Scripture. Also, many Christians have this belief of going to Heaven (or Hell) at thepoint of death. Again, a misunderstanding of Scripture. As you see the text says "and after that to face judgement." That final passage is in accordance with John 3:16. Who is Jesus returnging for if all have already gone to Heaven or Hell?

You see, Scripture does not go against or counter Scripture. In the cases where it SEEMS that way, one has to read and study the text again and understand the context.

It's just like the English language. I can say "Man that's a bad jacket." Now someone thousands of years from now, or in another culture would say "Boy, he really doesn't like that jacket." However, one who knows, or one who takes a look into the context of the entire statement. "Man, that's a bad jacket. Where can I get me one like that?" will understand that I really meant it's a good jacket, in fact a great jacket, so much so that I want to know where I can purchase it for myself. The word "bad" is normally bad, however, in the context its actually good. The Bible works the same way.

Many, however, take things out of context. Some ignorantly, others willfully, trying to twist things to their own liking, understanding and/or biases.

Does that square away with your understanding of death? If not, does that clear things up for you?

I'll be reading your post many times over to get a much better understanding. I sure appreciate your effort on this...

I wonder if the knowledge will make me nicer...:lol:

Here you see Scripture teaching us that we die once. That is to be clear on the matter. Many Christians have this belief in purgatory, or being able to pay for or pray for your soul after death to get into Heaven and other such unBiblical, and truthfully, Pagan beliefs. However, you will not find any evidence of that in Scripture. Also, many Christians have this belief of going to Heaven (or Hell) at thepoint of death. Again, a misunderstanding of Scripture. As you see the text says "and after that to face judgement." That final passage is in accordance with John 3:16. Who is Jesus returnging for if all have already gone to Heaven or Hell?

I'll be reading your post many times over to get a much better understanding. I sure appreciate your effort on this...

You're quite welcome sir. Just read the text, study them, it'll click sooner than you know it.

You're quite welcome sir. Just read the text, study them, it'll click sooner than you know it.

You know, when you have spent a lifetime believing that body and spirit are separate and that the spirit moves on at death. Add to that, that even though the math is rather simple, I still find myself boggled here...

Perhaps after a good nights sleep, it will click.. sheesh..

If your body dies does that mean part or all of you die?

Is your body you?

Are you you without your body?

My mind tells me when my amblitory shell becomes unfuntional to the point it begins to rot then the brain in the top container will rot too.

Causing my mind to no longer exsist.

I know many of you (if still unrotted) will rejoyce at this idea.

I know people ( Im sure you do to) that believe they have had contact with people who were in post rot stage.

I can not quantify or disect these beliefs. I simply have to take them into consideration.

I belive after you die you no longer exsist.

Yet if there are parallel universes like some postulate then perhaps some energy is released upon death and these "experiences" are beings reaching into a parralel universe for some reason such as trama or love.

It would be awesome but I have no proof and so I have to go with my best guess which is at death its over.

Your body is not you. Your personality is not you.` Your consciousness leaves the body when you die and it transmigrates to another body in one of six realms of existence.

IMO.
That bis some good fiction. Fairy tale at best. But ultimately wrong.

Sadly, I believe that whatever you believe is the truth. If you believe you will live on after death, you will, if you believe there is nothing after death, that is exactly what you will experience. I think each person will have their own heaven or hell too. If you think your family members will be there with you, they will. Yeah, I know that sounds contradictory but that's what I beleive.

To each his own, I guess.

Sadly, I believe that whatever you believe is the truth. If you believe you will live on after death, you will, if you believe there is nothing after death, that is exactly what you will experience. I think each person will have their own heaven or hell too. If you think your family members will be there with you, they will. Yeah, I know that sounds contradictory but that's what I beleive.

What are you basing that belief on?

Does it matter? I said it's my belief why do I have to base it on anything, or explain it to anybody?

I struggle with the spirit/soul conundrum as many do. I like to think we somehow live on somewhere. If we do, I just hope they have delivery pizza!

Does it matter? I said it's my belief why do I have to base it on anything, or explain it to anybody?

OK, well based on your response I guess its a free-for-all then. You're right, it doesn't matter. Anything goes. Never mind.

I hope to move on, and try to live my life as such. I believe that if I don't learn the lessons I must learn to move on I will be back to do again and again until I do.

I also believe that those who belive in the big three religions are in for a huge awakening when it is over. They will be amazed to find that all three religions to be represented in the afterlife, and not just their particular brand of religion.

I also believe that those who belive in the big three religions are in for a huge awakening when it is over. They will be amazed to find that all three religions to be represented in the afterlife, and not just their particular brand of religion.

And what are you basing this belief on sir?

And what are you basing this belief on sir?

Born and raised a catholic, now a practicing Wiccan. Left the church after highschool and studied every religion I could get my hands on. After an extensive search (better than eight years of research and personal expieriences in other religions)I became a solitary practioner. My understanding of God is eclectic and works for me, I expect no one to live by my understanding, and I expect no one to force me to live by theirs. For simpilicity sakes, Harm none lest it come back three fold, learn the lessons and move on to the next stage of life. Fail, return and do it again until you get it right.

Forum List

Back