'Death Anxiety' Prompts People to Believe in Intelligent Design

R

rdean

'Death anxiety' prompts people to believe in intelligent design, reject evolution, study suggests

ScienceDaily (May 23, 2011) — Researchers at the University of British Columbia and Union College (Schenectady, N.Y.) have found that people's 'death anxiety' can influence them to support theories of intelligent design and reject evolutionary theory.
Existential anxiety also prompted people to report increased liking for Michael Behe, intelligent design's main proponent, and increased disliking for evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins.

Despite scientific consensus that intelligent design theory is inherently unscientific, 25 per cent of high school biology teachers in the U.S. devote at least some class time to the topic of intelligent design. And in Canada, for example, Alberta passed a law in 2009 that may allow parents to remove children from courses covering evolution.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110317172047.htm

A New Evolutionary History of Primates

110317172047-large.jpg

The authors sequenced 54 gene regions from 186 species spanning the primate radiation. The analysis illustrates the importance of resolving complex, species-rich phylogenies using large-scale comparative genomic approach. Patterns of species and gene sequence evolution and adaptation relate not only to human genome organization and genetic disease sensitivity, but also to global emergence of zoonoses (human pathogens originating from non-human disease reservoirs), to mammalian comparative genomics, to primate taxonomy and to species conservation.

----------------------------------------------

It's amazing that every day, there are new discoveries in the Science Of Evolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fear of death is the origin of all religions, once man realized his own mortality.
rdean, because he thinks he's so much smarter than everyone else, likes to characterize people who think differently than him or disagree with him as unthinking and acting emotionally.

What he doesn't understand, or maybe doesn't want to understand is that God is the logical result of looking at the Universe as it is. It's so huge and so vast and amazing that it had to have been created by a Higher Being. It couldn't possibly have been an accident, it's just to good and well planned out.

No one can prove how the Universe was created. I believe God created it. Others believe that dust particles came together and then exploded. That may have actually been the way it was created but it had to have started somehow, there had to have been a Prime Motivator. I call it God. You may call it something else but we can't prove either theory can we?

I'm ok with that but rdean will never be. Why? because he thinks he can know everything there is to know, but that's impossible. The human mind is just too small to know all the universes' secrets. Am I saying we shouldn't explore science and the outer limits of mans' understanding? No, not at all.

The fear of death is the origin of all religions, once man realized his own mortality.
rdean, because he thinks he's so much smarter than everyone else, likes to characterize people who think differently than him or disagree with him as unthinking and acting emotionally.

What he doesn't understand, or maybe doesn't want to understand is that God is the logical result of looking at the Universe as it is. It's so huge and so vast and amazing that it had to have been created by a Higher Being. It couldn't possibly have been an accident, it's just to good and well planned out.

No one can prove how the Universe was created. I believe God created it. Others believe that dust particles came together and then exploded. That may have actually been the way it was created but it had to have started somehow, there had to have been a Prime Motivator. I call it God. You may call it something else but we can't prove either theory can we?

I'm ok with that but rdean will never be. Why? because he thinks he can know everything there is to know, but that's impossible. The human mind is just too small to know all the universes' secrets. Am I saying we shouldn't explore science and the outer limits of mans' understanding? No, not at all.

No one can prove how the Universe was created ----> yet.

Of course, we've only been thinking about it in a realistic way for decades. All kinds of Gawds have been around for thousands of years. Which one will be find proof of "first"?

'Death anxiety' prompts people to believe in intelligent design, reject evolution, study suggests

ScienceDaily (May 23, 2011) — Researchers at the University of British Columbia and Union College (Schenectady, N.Y.) have found that people's 'death anxiety' can influence them to support theories of intelligent design and reject evolutionary theory.
Existential anxiety also prompted people to report increased liking for Michael Behe, intelligent design's main proponent, and increased disliking for evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins.

Despite scientific consensus that intelligent design theory is inherently unscientific, 25 per cent of high school biology teachers in the U.S. devote at least some class time to the topic of intelligent design. And in Canada, for example, Alberta passed a law in 2009 that may allow parents to remove children from courses covering evolution.

A new evolutionary history of primates

110317172047-large.jpg

The authors sequenced 54 gene regions from 186 species spanning the primate radiation. The analysis illustrates the importance of resolving complex, species-rich phylogenies using large-scale comparative genomic approach. Patterns of species and gene sequence evolution and adaptation relate not only to human genome organization and genetic disease sensitivity, but also to global emergence of zoonoses (human pathogens originating from non-human disease reservoirs), to mammalian comparative genomics, to primate taxonomy and to species conservation.

It's amazing that every day, there are new discoveries in the Science Of Evolution.

the truth is saying the possibility of intelligent design is unscientific is about as unscientific as one could get

Al Queda don't fear death yet seem quite devoutly religious.

Well, let's look at it: They live in a hopeless shithole, with nothing but hate in their lives. They can trade it all in with an instantaneous, painless death for Paradise and a pile of virgins to deflower for all eternity.

Intelligence isn't very high on the requirements list on the splodeydope job description.

A new evolutionary history of primates

110317172047-large.jpg

Why are you attempting to tie an article about the evolution of primates with a junk science article?

No one can prove how the Universe was created ----> yet.

Of course, we've only been thinking about it in a realistic way for decades. All kinds of Gawds have been around for thousands of years. Which one will be find proof of "first"?

If I were to take a bet I would have to put my money on finding proof of God before we find proof of how the universe was created.

By the way, what makes you think no one thought about how the universe came to be before the 1900s? Are you really that arrogant?

Last edited:
I think you are scared shitless of having faith in anyone or anything....it makes me wonder if you've experienced some sort of trauma and your mind copes by demanding "proof" of every little thing, and are incapable of enjoying the wonders of life's mysteries. It's an obsessive and sad way to exist.

I think you are scared shitless of having faith in anyone or anything....it makes me wonder if you've experienced some sort of trauma and your mind copes by demanding "proof" of every little thing, and are incapable of enjoying the wonders of life's mysteries. It's an obsessive and sad way to exist.

Do you practice the "eat, drink and be merry" philosphy ?

Eat-drink-and-be.jpg

Eat-drink-and-be.jpg

I knew you were black. :cool:

I have a theory about militant atheists: They're angry, not because they think believers are wrong, but because they're afraid we're right -- and they can't tolerate the idea of a power higher than themselves.

What makes you think people without delusional occult beliefs have no faith?

Asking the question "why" and looking for "proof" are the first steps in "learning things".

Forum List

Back