Death and Taxes

Oct 23, 2008
Death and Taxes, the two things we were told as kids are inevitable. Even in today's society this still rings true, or at least we are told it is. But let's put some perspective on it shall we.

The average person pays about 20-25% of what ever he makes in wages, on taxes. Keeping in mind that there are many variables to consider, deductions, married or single, head of household etc.... The numbers I used are mine; I'm single, 1 child, head of household etc..and here is where it goes:

* Federal income tax
* Social Security tax
* Medicare tax
* State tax(where applicable)

So taking all this into consideration I came up with 20-25% + -. I'll use the low end of 20%, So in other words, if a person makes $500.00 a week, $100.00 of that goes to the government before you can even cash the check. That's $400.00 a month. That could be the difference between living in a 2 Br apt and living in a 3 Br house, driving a clunker and having a reliable vehicle. What could would you do with $400 extra a month?

Now you have $400.00 in your pocket for the week, assuming you live with your parents and have no bills of significance to pay, your ready to go spend it, but wait, there's a sales tax on everything you buy, with the exception of food items, which shouldn't be confused with snack items because they get taxed as well. Lets take a look at some of the other taxes we have to pay after the government takes their share.

* Property tax
* Gas tax
* School tax
* Automobile registration Tax
* Liquor tax
* Cigarette tax
* Hunting/Fishing license tax
* Utility's tax
* Telephone excise tax

Sales taxes vary depending on the state in which you live. anywhere from 6.5-8.25% and that's not including the other types of taxes listed above so to be fair lets just say 10% of that $400 gets taxed as well. You are now left with $360 out of $400 right?,..... wrong! The original amount was $500.
One has to keep in mind that the amount of tax will vary as well the percentage but the fact that you get taxed is indisputable, the fact that you get taxed twice is also indisputable. Our founding fathers would be twisted about right now. Here are the taxes that resulted in the birth of a nation.

* The Molasses Act of1764- included taxes on cloth, wine, and other commodities. Later it became known as the Sugar Act.

* The Stamp Act of 1765- which taxed documents – permits, legal documents, contracts, newspapers, and pamphlets. Stamps had to be purchased and affixed to all of these documents.

* Townsend Acts 1767- These laws placed a tax on common products imported into the American colonies, such as lead, paper, paint, glass, and tea.

Basically these three tax laws started a revolution. Nothing is ever mentioned about taxing wages of the people, just the goods that were imported. In other words a type of sales tax. Other taxes were established by local colonial governments at the time and the money was used to help people in various ways but never were the peoples wages taxed.

We should be ashamed of ourselves for letting the state of America dwindle to whats its become, a fraction of what it once stood for. I can only picture our founding fathers crying at whats become of us. A great and powerful nation made up of free people now bowing to monetary slavery that only benifits those very few at the top, the same ones that created the laws to enslave us with. Yet we do nothing.

Every tax is unfair.

The question is usually to whom is it most unfair?

Right now, I'd have to say that the most productive people in this nation (that would be the $50-$250K income households ) are the most put upon people in this nation, in terms of burdens from Federal Income taxes.

The very poor pay user taxes but no Federal taxes.

The very wealthy pay Federal taxes, but in terms of their incomes they actually typically pay, they pay a lesser percentage of their real incomes than the affluent middle class.

In a truly just society, the middle class, in aggregate, would own MOST of the nations assets.

In this society, they do not.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back