Death and Dying

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
Buddhists think about death every day.

Death is neither depressing nor exciting; it is simply a fact of life…I often think of the words of the great Buddhist master Padmasambhava: ―Those who believe they have plenty of time get ready only at the time of death. Then they are ravaged by great regret. But isn‘t it far too late?‖ What more chilling commentary on the modern world could there be than that most people die unprepared for death, as they have lived, unprepared for life?

To practice death is to practice freedom. A man who has learned how to die has unlearned how to be a slave (Montaigne).

Death is a vast mystery but there are two things we can say about it: It is absolutely certain that we will die, and it is uncertain when or how we will die.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Feel free to elaborate, Allie. I'm no longer commenting on Christians or Christianity. I will speak about what I know, and that's it.

One practice I have participated in is to rehearse for dying. To imagine all the possible ways I might die.

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

1. I prefer the Christian way of dieing, not to die *at all*, we simply pass from this life and live eternally with Jesus in heaven.
2. Death is like a passage way, we pass through it, and live anew on the other side.
3. Having Mansions prepared for us, even though we were raised in total desitutuion.
4. Or raised in Mansions on earth, makes no difference, those who call on Jesus shall find their rewards in heaven.
5. All other religions in my veiw are sorely lacking in its concept on death.
6. Sky Dancer, you can at least give us the modern break down of what Budda teaches now, in this day and age can you not?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Death is not about death, but more about life.

Live every moment as if it is your last. Tell the ones that you love, you love them.

And just an aside sky. Ever been close to being dead? You get a different perspective on life.

I like to correlate of our existence to the butterfly.

A butterfly lays it eggs (Pregnancy in humans) and hatches into a Caterpillar. The Caterpillar (Our lives here on earth) lives a short life and then transforms into a pupa. The pupa (Our death stage) through metamorphosis forms into the butterfly. For us, our metamorphosis transforms our existence from the death stage (for we are only physically dead not spiritually) to eternal life.

free-butterfly-screensaver.gif

Last edited:
One of the great things about death is that it is one of those things that one doesn't have to prepare for.

Death is very democratic.

Everybody gets an equal share of it, and there's no testing, fees or licenses required to join the club of the dead.

Life your life as if you know you're going to die eventually and that'spretty much all the preparation you'll need.

Master Padmasambhava's suggestion that one must prepare for death sounds sage, but what does it mean, exactly?

• Banned
Sorry bout that,

1. I prefer the Christian way of dieing, not to die *at all*, we simply pass from this life and live eternally with Jesus in heaven.
2. Death is like a passage way, we pass through it, and live anew on the other side.
3. Having Mansions prepared for us, even though we were raised in total desitutuion.
4. Or raised in Mansions on earth, makes no difference, those who call on Jesus shall find their rewards in heaven.
5. All other religions in my veiw are sorely lacking in its concept on death.
6. Sky Dancer, you can at least give us the modern break down of what Budda teaches now, in this day and age can you not?Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Are you asking me what the Buddha teaches about death or how a Buddhist prepares for dying?

• Banned

Live every moment as if it is your last. Tell the ones that you love, you love them.

And just an aside sky. Ever been close to being dead? You get a different perspective on life.

Yes, I have been close to dying on more than one occasion.

It's been often said that if you stare death in the face and laugh that you're admirable.

I think to do so is crazy.

I've stared death in the face and discovered I had a pucker-factor of about 9.

Fear of death means you're alive.

Dwelling on death means you might be a liberal.

Last edited:
My entire view on death and dying took a very significant change about 10 years ago, as my Father was going through the final weeks and months of his battle with Cancer. Up until that time I had been a strong believer in the Christian view of life, death, and heaven. However, the longer things went on and the more I was forced to stare at death as my father approaced it, the less and less it made sense to me.

Over the past decade I have become a believer in a new life/death philosophy that includes both reincarnation AND Eternal Peace/Despair. I'll try and explain it here.

I believe that every individual has a soul. That soul may be very young or very old. The job of that soul is to attempt to live a decent and proper life in a human body. At the end of our lives, that soul is Judged by the Powers. Any of three things may happen to that soul....

1. It may be judged to have lived a proper and decent life, learned its lessons and be allowed to move on to the Higher Plane of its own choosing (Heaven, Happy Hunting Grounds, Elysian Fields, etc...) for eternity. These souls may eventually CHOOSE to be re-incarnated into a human body.

2. It may be judged to need additional education before it can move on. At that point the soul is sent to a plane of existance not unlike a minor Hell, There, the soul is cleansed through pain and suffering and "re-educated" about what a proper and decent life is before being re-born to try again.

3. It may be judged that the soul lived an imporper life and that it is beyond "re-education"; at which point it will be cast into the lower planes to serve pennance for the rest of eternity.

I have a cardiac condition that could cause my death at just about anytime. It might be 5 minutes from now or it might be as much as 5 years from now. Bottom line though is I am closer to the end than I am to the middle. It used to bother me quite a bit but I had to sit myself down and recalculate everything. I've had a WONDERFUL life. I can't imagine living a better live than I have lived. I've made a few blunders along the way but mostly it has been an exciting fun-filled ride. I know what it is to be loved and I know what it is to love. When my time comes, I will check out of this hotel with absolutely no regrets. Those that worry about when and how they will die are just waisting their time thinking worthless things. When it's your time to die, it will announce itself rather boldly I suppose. Until then, life is a ride to enjoy.

One of the great things about death is that it is one of those things that one doesn't have to prepare for.

Everybody gets an equal share of it, and there's no testing, fees or licenses required to join the club of the dead.

Life your life as if you know you're going to die eventually and that'spretty much all the preparation you'll need.

Master Padmasambhava's suggestion that one must prepare for death sounds sage, but what does it mean, exactly?

I agree with this.

What, exactly, is there to prepare for?

I would love to discuss this topic with you if you're interested.

"Learn to die and you shall learn to live. There shall be none who have learned to live that has not learned to die." Padmasambhava, from the Tibetan Book of the Dead

Last edited:
Five weeks ago, for the very first time since I was very young, over 40 years I am talking.... I got sick!

It was BAD... Fever, chills... fatigue.... I mean really bad. I could get out of bed for 1-2 hours at a time, max. Couldn't eat, couldn't drink anything but water - everything tasted BAD!

It went on for almost a week, then I felt "better" for a day... Thought it was over. But then the real hammer came down, the other shoe dropped... and what I had the first week paled in comparison for what hit me next.

For three more days, I was virtually bedridden.... On the last night of it, I was pretty sure I was going to die.... In fact, convinced of it.

And a calm came over me. I was OKAY with it! I'd preached for 30+ years, "when it's your time, it's your time and no amount of potions, pills, doctors, tests, procedures and the like can do anything to change that." And that is true. But those words came back to me as I lay there, really believing that when I fell asleep, I wasn't going to wake up in the mortal world.... But oddly, there was acceptance, serenity, and no fear at all.

The night was filled with what I understand now were lucid dreams, outright hallucinations, and sweat-soaked bedding. But when my little Newley Boy cat woke me up in daylight loving on my chin and kneading on my chest, it was again another new day! And as I regained self-awareness, I realized I felt good! Whatever it was had run its course and I was okay!

I haven't felt better in years. Only side effect seems to be, I lost 30 pounds I didn't need anyway, in the ordeal. But I gained something too - I know now that I don't fear death. I know now that I live by my principles right or wrong, weak or strong, live or die, with no regrets.

I feel liberated now, like never before. I have shed my mortal coil so to speak....

My entire view on death and dying took a very significant change about 10 years ago, as my Father was going through the final weeks and months of his battle with Cancer. Up until that time I had been a strong believer in the Christian view of life, death, and heaven. However, the longer things went on and the more I was forced to stare at death as my father approaced it, the less and less it made sense to me.

Over the past decade I have become a believer in a new life/death philosophy that includes both reincarnation AND Eternal Peace/Despair. I'll try and explain it here.

I believe that every individual has a soul. That soul may be very young or very old. The job of that soul is to attempt to live a decent and proper life in a human body. At the end of our lives, that soul is Judged by the Powers. Any of three things may happen to that soul....

1. It may be judged to have lived a proper and decent life, learned its lessons and be allowed to move on to the Higher Plane of its own choosing (Heaven, Happy Hunting Grounds, Elysian Fields, etc...) for eternity. These souls may eventually CHOOSE to be re-incarnated into a human body.

2. It may be judged to need additional education before it can move on. At that point the soul is sent to a plane of existance not unlike a minor Hell, There, the soul is cleansed through pain and suffering and "re-educated" about what a proper and decent life is before being re-born to try again.

3. It may be judged that the soul lived an imporper life and that it is beyond "re-education"; at which point it will be cast into the lower planes to serve pennance for the rest of eternity.

I believe, that is the first problem, believing what you think, means you have it all figured out is your first mistake, thinking it should make sense to others is a bigger one.

Personally, I'd like to believe in reincarnation. I like the thought of coming back and seeing more of this beautiful world because despite its follies, I like it. There is too much to see in one lifetime. But I don't think I should have to go to church every Sunday just because there might be an afterlife. All that I am sure of is that I am here now and I going to enjoy every last second of this life and not have to worry about religion because it restricts you too much. I realize death is inevitable and I am okay with it even if it is really the end, just blackness. I will try to do as much good in this life as well as be a light to others while I am here. Thats that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back