Dear God - What Has Our Navy Come To ??

What the fuck does this have to do with Obama?

So let me get this straight: Obama gets no credit for greenlighting the raid that killed Bin Laden but he get's total credit for the Navy's decision to discipline a Captain?

I am just not going to think too much on this one.....

All told i believe 16 CO's have been fired this year alone for various reasons.I don't know if that's a typical year but i'm thinking it's not.So what's going on is a very good question.

Is Captains Mast an investigation or a punishment? If it's an Investigation then don't you have to wait until AFTER Captains Mast to be punished?

A captains mast is where you go to be punished.It's like appearing in court only the investigation part is done , it's to hear the decision on what's the punishment to be.Before appearing at a captains mast a sailor goes to XO's mast , if there's any doubt or investigating to be done it's done at that point before it gets to the captain.

Hazing has been illegal for awhile now, it's not "an Obama policy".

This is true. I'm not an Obama supporter, but I served in the Navy for part of Clinton's and part of G.W.'s administrations, and these developments were already well under way. These developments are part of a long cultural shift that Obama, at the most, had little to do with.

I like this quote from the article:

Winston Churchill once summed up the Royal Navy in these words: "rum, sodomy and the lash." If he was alive today, the portly former prime minister of England would blanch and snort indignantly at what a politically-correct mess the United States Navy has become.

Well, count me among the weirdos who is glad I was not sodomized during my six-year enlistment.

Back in the 1970s Marines used to carry their seabags on runs, how is it hazing to require them to wear one while waiting for Captain's Mast?

Well, it might do to fact check this article a bit. The article in question is terribly sensational, and there is already one assertion that is known to be false and another that is hard to confirm.

The quote about "rum, sodomy and the lash" is commonly incorrectly accredited to Winston Churchill. Churchill never uttered the words. Additionally, the quote is not in praise of Navy tradition but rather in condemnation. Whatever the case, as a prior sailor myself, I'll pass on the sodomy, thank you.

The other detail I am having trouble fact-finding for is the assertion that there was a single Marine who complained and got the CO fired. Most of the articles I have found indicate "personnel" and that the matter was investigated and found the CO found in violation of the Navy's hazing policies.

Again, these policies were in place before Obama ever took office, so it can hardly be called an example of "Obama's Navy." I'm not an Obama supporter, but this article doesn't even flirt with objectivity.

Thank you Jimmy Jam , i was pretty sure Churchill never said any such thing unless in jest and spent considerable time looking for the quote,it would appear he isn't credited anywhere else but that one article with saying it.

Whats your point Jake ? Are you saying Churchill wrote that book the link goes to ? Of course not , so i fail to see your point.

I am quite aware that you don't see the point, which is not about Churchill, but rather is about your shallowness of research.

Forum List

Back