Dear Faithful American

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
Hi, all. I just got this email from another site I subscribe to. I've never heard of faithfulamerica.org, but I do like their idea. Regardless of your feelings on the emphasis placed on the Abu incidents, don't you think that this ad (www.faithfulamerica.org/AdClip.htm) is a good idea? Check it out and let me know what you think.

I can't view the ad with sound because I'm at work, but it appears to be along the lines of what I would expect based on the description given.

-James

Dear Faithful American,

The torture scandal continues to grow, and with it the outrage of the Arab world. As our leaders continue to blame a few rogue soldiers, a cycle of mutual suspicion and dehumanization between the Arab world and the United States deepens.

We need to send a message directly from the people of the United States , to the people of Iraq and the Arab world, telling them that, as Americans, we stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them in demanding justice for these sinful abuses committed in our name.

To do this, we’ve filmed a television ad with Christian, Jewish and Muslim faith leaders to be broadcast on Arabic-language television in the Middle East. You can view the ad using the link below. If you feel the message expresses what is in your heart, let the world know by endorsing the ad. You can even donate to help put it on the air.

www.faithfulamerica.org/AdClip.htm

As the number of endorsers grows, we will add that figure to the end of the ad. The more people who endorse the message, the more effective it will be. Please send this e-mail to anyone you think might want to get involved.

Blessings,

The FaithfulAmerica.org Team

P.S. Thanks to Medea Benjamin and Michael Schellenberger for bringing us this powerful idea.

FaithfulAmerica.org is an online community of people of faith who want to build a more just and compassionate nation. Join us! www.faithfulamerica.org

What a bunch of trash. I want to see the insurrgents appologizing for the things they did. Then kiss a pig to show they mean it. I think the soldiers that did that deserve medals. Those prisoners should all be striped naked put in cells with women guards and a pig in every cell. And lots and lots of dogs.

The arabs send a film of Berg being beheaded and these turkeys want to send a film of a bunch of wimps appologizing.

Enough with this liberal appeasement bullshit.

Originally posted by gaffer
What a bunch of trash. I want to see the insurrgents appologizing for the things they did. Then kiss a pig to show they mean it. I think the soldiers that did that deserve medals. Those prisoners should all be striped naked put in cells with women guards and a pig in every cell. And lots and lots of dogs.

The arabs send a film of Berg being beheaded and these turkeys want to send a film of a bunch of wimps appologizing.

Um, I think the point of this ad is to unite people.
What's wrong with that?
People should know that we are about fighting terror, not inflicting it.

I don't see how you can argue with that message.
And if you really feel that way about the rights of PEOPLE YOU DO NOT KNOW AND WHO HAVE NOT SCENE THE INSIDE OF A COURTHOUSE, shame on you.

Whats wrong with it is its based on a fallacy that the Arab world is upset. Quite the opposite they cant figure out why this is such a big deal to the Americans.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Whats wrong with it is its based on a fallacy that the Arab world is upset. Quite the opposite they cant figure out why this is such a big deal to the Americans.
I'll second that.

-Douglas

source?

Such an uninformed statement, Avatar.
Yeah, I'm sure Arabs are not upset. :rolleyes:
Just like Americans are not upset about the Berg decapitation. :rolleyes:

"There is anger in the Arab world about some of our actions, but that is no excuse for any silence on the part of any Arab leader for this kind of murder," Powell said. "This kind of murder is unacceptable in anyone's religion, in anybody's political system that is a political system based on any kind of understanding and respect for human rights."

source-FoxNews

Originally posted by gaffer

:clap:

Originally posted by nycflasher
Yeah, I'm sure Arabs are not upset. :rolleyes:
Just like Americans are not upset about the Berg decapitation. :rolleyes:

The point is not that anger and upset does not exist in the arab world over the issue which the media has so blatantly labeled "The Prisoner Abuse Scandal." I have no doubt in my mind that many arabs are upset over what has happened. However, the anger and upset which does exist is far less than many Americans play it out to be. Hell, one could almost believe that as a result of this one incident, all Iraqis are totally outraged and want to expel all of our soldiers from their country. I don't beleive that scenario exists at all. I'm sure that plenty of Iraqis didn't even care much in the first place (they were prisoners after all), and many others were satisfied as the investigations/punishments were underway. I'm not against unity or anything, but let's not blow this out of proportion.

-Douglas

Oh yeah, and anyone who equates this "abuse" with the beheading of Berg really ought to get themselves checked out.
- shazbot

Anytime we compare ourselves to terrorists something is wrong. We can't use their behavior to justify or temper our responsibility for our own. To do so would be to lower ourselves to their standards of morality, something I am loathe to see Americans do.

acludem

ACLUDEM, no you're correct. We should be 'above all that' and meet their terrorism with as Crazy Canadian has been opining all day, 'a vision of peace'. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I think the soldiers that did that deserve medals. Those prisoners should all be striped naked put in cells with women guards and a pig in every cell. And lots and lots of dogs.

You do realize that most of those prisoners are innocent? The next time you see this kind of stuff happening to american soldiers just say they deserve it.

Cant figure out why this wouldnt be a big deal to the Iraqis? Well if you lived under Saddam Hussien you would.

How in the world do you construe my comment to mean that we shouldn't prosecute terrorists and fight terrorism to the fullest? It is wrong to use the murder of Michael Berg as an excuse for or to lessen our responsibility for the abuse of Iraqi prisoners, none of whom have been convicted of any crime. We can fight terrorism, we can't become terrorists.

acludem

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
You do realize that most of those prisoners are innocent? The next time you see this kind of stuff happening to american soldiers just say they deserve it.

How do you know that the prisoners in the photos are innocent. Proof?

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew

That has yet to be proved and probably won't, the Red Cross is not a reputable source for such decisions. I don't believe they were on patrol with the units when they were captured.

Don't all prisoners especially here in America proclaim that they are innocent.

How do you know that the prisoners in the photos are innocent. Proof?

I don't know that all of those prisoners in the many photos are innocent, but the news agencies were reporting that some 80% of the prisoners in Abu Graib were innocent.

Do you remember this:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/10/20/iraq.amnesty/

Iraqi president frees all prisoners, except 'spies'
Sunday, October 20, 2002 Posted: 6:53 PM EDT (2253 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi President Saddam Hussein ordered Sunday that all prisoners be released, including non-Iraqi Arabs, with the exception of those accused of spying for the United States or Israel.

Saddam won a 100 percent victory in an uncontested election Tuesday to remain the nation's leader for another seven years.

Even murderers were being freed on the condition that they make restitution to victims' families -- including financial compensation -- within one month, Information Minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf told reporters.

After the presidential decree was issued, al-Sahhaf read a statement clarifying that killers would be freed, but must seek forgiveness from the victims' relatives to remain free.

"Prisoners and detainees would be set free immediately except in the case of those who are sentenced or detained because of killing, and they would be set free only if the families of victims would forgive them, or if they hand back their debts to the government or people," the decree said.

In a televised address, al-Sahhaf asked the Iraqi people to welcome the prisoners back into society and forgive them.

The amnesty includes political prisoners -- for the first time in Saddam's 23 years in power.

The decree also forgives fugitives and people wanted on charges outside of Iraq, including those facing a death sentence.

CNN Correspondent Jane Arraf said busloads of just-released prisoners waved white handkerchiefs and danced. Outside jails, relatives waited to greet family members.

Forum List

Back