Dear Barack and Dear John, please don't die

bobbymcgill

Aug 23, 2008
Presidential candidates select their running mates for various reasons, usually hoping they will bring depth to the ticket, win electoral votes in the VP's home state or address voter perception of a candidate's shortcomings. In this race it has been for the latter.

Obama chose Joseph Biden to make him appear more worldly and McCain chose Sarah Palin to make him look more Heavenly. And at first both enjoyed a bump in the polls at what seemed good choices.

Yet, now that we've had a few weeks to get to know the VP pair, conventional wisdom has been turned on its head. Both Biden and Palin have fumbled and bumbled (and several ethical questions mumbled), that it now makes the two guys at the top of the ticket look stellar in comparison.

So much so that I am starting to wonder if that was the candidate's original intention.

Just as George the 1st chose Dan Quayle so he wouldn't be upstaged, it is entirely possible that our two current presidential aspirants might have done the same. If not, at least it is fun to consider.

McCain/Palin

McCain has hammered the experience issue to such nauseating extremes that I am waiting for a TV ad with him sitting cross-legged guru style on the mountain-top as god almighty himself comes groveling for the Senator's wisdom.

But voter perception is that Obama is far more intellectual.

So, McCain picks Palin --an ANWR-deer in the headlights, who dispenses a brand of folksy wisdom and "hockey mom" tough talk that plays well in speeches when no one is responding, but comes off as (and is) aloof when in the spotlight of a nationally televised interview.

It was painful to watch her get skewered by Charles Gibson. She emboldened "dumb" chick stereotypes to the point that I think some of those cracks Hillary put in the glass ceiling may have been resealed. Even top McCain adviser and former HP CEO Carla Fiorina told reporters that Palin wasn't competent enough to run a company. She later retracted, but the damage was done. Palin was being painted as a simpleton.

I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, so quickly thrust on the national stage, perhaps she simply had the jitters. But when Palin equated the war in the Middle East with god, I had to ask myself: Is god that feckless or is Sarah Palin? Take your pick.

Since she bombed with Charlie Gibson, McCain has put her under wraps. Public appearances are now few, interviews with the news media even fewer, and unscripted moments nonexistent.

When asked about her refusal to turn over e-mails to an Alaskan state investigator concerning the fired trooper scandal, she simply smiled and got into her limo. To her credit, that was quite presidential.

Yet, get her in front of crowd of supporters and she is all sound bite and hyperbole --going so far as to call the Obama team, "far-East Coast politicians." While I get the anti-Semitic gist of her statement, (though I doubt she her self realized it) the last time I looked at a map, Chicago was in the Mid-West and Obama was of African descent.

I was surprised she could mix-up the geography aspect , after she was so kind to remind us in her interview with Gibson that Russia is next to Alaska.

But, in my mythical-maybe world of political machinations, this works to McCain's advantage. Now he looks like a Rhodes Scholar in comparison. This tact could possibly backfire, since high academic achievement is generally a disadvantage for Republican candidates.

Obama/Biden

The Democrats --Obama included-- love to tell us how they are the "party for the people," that they care about the little guy and that the loving warmth that flows from their infinitely charitable hearts stands in stark contrast to those greedy Republicans and their hard-handed policies.

Well, have you seen Joe Biden's tax returns?

Despite an income ranging from $210,432 - $321,379 over a ten-year period, the Bidens have given between --wait for it-- 0.06% - 0.31% of their income to charity. Yes, the decimals and the zeros are correctly placed.

How does this make Obama look more upstanding? Look at his tax returns. He and Michelle have ponied up a mere 6% of their elevated income to charity. (McCain gives around 28% per year). While Obama might do a photo-op at a soup kitchen, he doesn't seem willing to actually pay for the soup.

Yet, as McCain can now point to Palin and say "I am not that naive," Obama can likewise point to Biden and say, "I am not that greedy."

Another advantage in picking Biden is his past ethical digressions. Biden became a household name back in 1988 when he plagiarized a speech from a British politician while on the campaign trail --forcing him to ignominiously drop out of the presidential race.

Obama, being from the historically corrupt Chicago political machine, looks saintly in comparison --should ethical questions start to hinder his run to the White House.

And while no connection has been made directly to Biden, both his son and his brother have been accused in two lawsuits for defrauding a former business partner and an investor out of millions of dollars in a hedge fund deal.

When standing next to Biden the Republicans "messianic" line about Obama makes a lot more sense.

Ok, so maybe I am exaggerating all of this, but a larger question now lingers: No matter who wins, if they should meet an untimely fate, are either Sarah Palin or Joe Biden the people we want to run the country?

Idle Wordship

:D

Presidential candidates select their running mates for various reasons, usually hoping they will bring depth to the ticket, win electoral votes in the VP's home state or address voter perception of a candidate's shortcomings. In this race it has been for the latter.

Obama chose Joseph Biden to make him appear more worldly and McCain chose Sarah Palin to make him look more Heavenly. And at first both enjoyed a bump in the polls at what seemed good choices.

Yet, now that we've had a few weeks to get to know the VP pair, conventional wisdom has been turned on its head. Both Biden and Palin have fumbled and bumbled (and several ethical questions mumbled), that it now makes the two guys at the top of the ticket look stellar in comparison.

So much so that I am starting to wonder if that was the candidate's original intention.

Just as George the 1st chose Dan Quayle so he wouldn't be upstaged, it is entirely possible that our two current presidential aspirants might have done the same. If not, at least it is fun to consider.

McCain/Palin

McCain has hammered the experience issue to such nauseating extremes that I am waiting for a TV ad with him sitting cross-legged guru style on the mountain-top as god almighty himself comes groveling for the Senator's wisdom.

But voter perception is that Obama is far more intellectual.

So, McCain picks Palin --an ANWR-deer in the headlights, who dispenses a brand of folksy wisdom and "hockey mom" tough talk that plays well in speeches when no one is responding, but comes off as (and is) aloof when in the spotlight of a nationally televised interview.

It was painful to watch her get skewered by Charles Gibson. She emboldened "dumb" chick stereotypes to the point that I think some of those cracks Hillary put in the glass ceiling may have been resealed. Even top McCain adviser and former HP CEO Carla Fiorina told reporters that Palin wasn't competent enough to run a company. She later retracted, but the damage was done. Palin was being painted as a simpleton.

I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, so quickly thrust on the national stage, perhaps she simply had the jitters. But when Palin equated the war in the Middle East with god, I had to ask myself: Is god that feckless or is Sarah Palin? Take your pick.

Since she bombed with Charlie Gibson, McCain has put her under wraps. Public appearances are now few, interviews with the news media even fewer, and unscripted moments nonexistent.

When asked about her refusal to turn over e-mails to an Alaskan state investigator concerning the fired trooper scandal, she simply smiled and got into her limo. To her credit, that was quite presidential.

Yet, get her in front of crowd of supporters and she is all sound bite and hyperbole --going so far as to call the Obama team, "far-East Coast politicians." While I get the anti-Semitic gist of her statement, (though I doubt she her self realized it) the last time I looked at a map, Chicago was in the Mid-West and Obama was of African descent.

I was surprised she could mix-up the geography aspect , after she was so kind to remind us in her interview with Gibson that Russia is next to Alaska.

But, in my mythical-maybe world of political machinations, this works to McCain's advantage. Now he looks like a Rhodes Scholar in comparison. This tact could possibly backfire, since high academic achievement is generally a disadvantage for Republican candidates.

Obama/Biden

The Democrats --Obama included-- love to tell us how they are the "party for the people," that they care about the little guy and that the loving warmth that flows from their infinitely charitable hearts stands in stark contrast to those greedy Republicans and their hard-handed policies.

Well, have you seen Joe Biden's tax returns?

Despite an income ranging from $210,432 - $321,379 over a ten-year period, the Bidens have given between --wait for it-- 0.06% - 0.31% of their income to charity. Yes, the decimals and the zeros are correctly placed.

How does this make Obama look more upstanding? Look at his tax returns. He and Michelle have ponied up a mere 6% of their elevated income to charity. (McCain gives around 28% per year). While Obama might do a photo-op at a soup kitchen, he doesn't seem willing to actually pay for the soup.

Yet, as McCain can now point to Palin and say "I am not that naive," Obama can likewise point to Biden and say, "I am not that greedy."

Another advantage in picking Biden is his past ethical digressions. Biden became a household name back in 1988 when he plagiarized a speech from a British politician while on the campaign trail --forcing him to ignominiously drop out of the presidential race.

Obama, being from the historically corrupt Chicago political machine, looks saintly in comparison --should ethical questions start to hinder his run to the White House.

And while no connection has been made directly to Biden, both his son and his brother have been accused in two lawsuits for defrauding a former business partner and an investor out of millions of dollars in a hedge fund deal.

When standing next to Biden the Republicans "messianic" line about Obama makes a lot more sense.

Ok, so maybe I am exaggerating all of this, but a larger question now lingers: No matter who wins, if they should meet an untimely fate, are either Sarah Palin or Joe Biden the people we want to run the country?

Idle Wordship

:D

Definitely a leftist slant in your renumerations. I can see that you would be quite comfortable voting for Biden and your question was not a question at all. Palin has been once again "skewered" by half truths and innuendo. :clap2:

Definitely a leftist slant in your renumerations. I can see that you would be quite comfortable voting for Biden and your question was not a question at all. Palin has been once again "skewered" by half truths and innuendo. :clap2:

ya might wanna read those "remunerations" again there Willow.

Nice one.:lol:

But, with the obviously slam of Biden, what makes you think I would vote for him? Granted, I am not too bright, but how did you get that?

I actually thought it was an equal opportunity slam, but apparently willow thinks if you don't buy the whole emperor has no clothes thing about palin, then you're a leftist. On the other hand, I have my own clear slant on these issues, so what do I know?

Nice one.:lol:

But, with the obviously slam of Biden, what makes you think I would vote for him? Granted, I am not too bright, but how did you get that?

well, you can't tell me you are going to vote for Palin. So, what does that leave? You are not voting?

I actually thought it was an equal opportunity slam, but apparently willow thinks if you don't buy the whole emperor has no clothes thing about palin, then you're a leftist. On the other hand, I have my own clear slant on these issues, so what do I know?

attack Palin on her policy, don't just keep repeating the half truths of the left wing talking points. You know most of that has been debunked. As it turns out Palin did'nt look bad in the interview with Gibson. He is the one turned out looking bad. You know there is no offical "Bush" doctrine so her response "in what way Charlie" was the appropriate response.

would anyone be interested to know that the majority of that 28% of the McCain income they give to charity is given to their OWN foundation? hmmmm

no one should ever under any set of circumstances vote to put this country in palin's hands. that doesn't make anyone a "leftist"

fair enough. so not withstanding what I read how would you describe your political leanings? Left or Right. I can definitely say without blinking that I lean right, sometines center but more often right.

would anyone be interested to know that the majority of that 28% of the McCain income they give to charity is that OWN foundation? hmmmm

that IS interesting... I figured it was a shelter for cindy's money. still, i don't criticize charitable contributions. I just wouldn't draw a negative comparison based on a less affluent family's donations...

fair enough. so not withstanding what I read how would you describe your political leanings? Left or Right. I can definitely say without blinking that I lean right, sometines center but more often right.

My political leanings? I lean left except on certain fiscal and middle east issues where I am pretty centrist leaning toward right. On those issues, I get to tick off people I generally agree with. ;)

and how much of that money that cindy and john gave is "guilt" giving after her admission to stealing from said charities.

perhaps palin is finding out the daily duties of a vp...is to make the american people hope the president makes it....

but obama is no better he made his living as a "community organizer", whatever the hell that is.

I dunno.

I think Sarah Palin would do a great job running the country.

From what I know of her, I think I would agree. She has done a good job with the state of Alaska. An 80% approval rating is not bad at all. Refreshing actually.

attack Palin on her policy, don't just keep repeating the half truths of the left wing talking points. You know most of that has been debunked. As it turns out Palin did'nt look bad in the interview with Gibson. He is the one turned out looking bad. You know there is no offical "Bush" doctrine so her response "in what way Charlie" was the appropriate response.

what half truths and talking points?

what's been debunked?

I'm really curious. Because all I see is another secretive, religious extremist with no ability. She's a savvy politician, like baby bush, but isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, which is why she got clobbered (and her approval rating dropped) when she actually opened her mouth.

Actually, there is a Bush Doctrine. It actually turned my stomach when they started calling ANYTHING named after him.

And no...the appropriate response was "a policy of pre-emptive strikes". Because THAT is the Bush Doctrine.

Forum List

Back