Dean Vs Melman, Why Not?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash5d.htm

HOWARD THE DUCK: DEAN DODGES NBC APPEARANCE WITH REPUBLICAN
Sun Nov 13 2005 09:17:22 ET

Dem Chair Dean Ducks Last Second Joint MEET THE PRESS Appearance With GOP Chair Mehlman

The DRUDGE REPORT has learned from exclusive sources that Democrat Party Chair Howard Dean turned down Republican Party Chair Ken Mehlman’s last minute offer to appear together on NBC’s MEET THE PRESS this morning.

Moments before taping was to begin with host Tim Russert, Mehlman asked Dean outside the NBC studio’s green room: “There’s still time for us to go on together Governor.” Dean declined with a shrug of his shoulders and an uncomfortable cackle and then proceeded to walk away into the green room.

DRUDGE has learned MEET THE PRESS producers have been working to get a head to head Dean/Mehlman appearance on the program since Dean was named chair back in February. Dean and his handlers have repeatedly turned down the request. The former Vermont governor only agreed to do this week’s program if they appeared in back-to-back interviews.

Mehlman brought up Dean’s unwillingness to appear alongside him during the show: “I was hoping that Chairman Dean would be on sitting next to me this morning. Maybe we can do that on a future program. Look, he's somebody I've enjoyed getting to know. We meet in a lot of green rooms….”

Tim Russert: “We invited him -- do you have a question for him?”

Former Dem Party Chair Terry McAuliffe participated in regular head-to-head appearances with his Republican counterparts during his tenure from ‘01 to ‘05. McAuliffe went head-to-head with Republican chairmen at least five times on MEET THE PRESS alone, going up against past GOP chairs Ed Gillespie (twice), Marc Racicot (twice) and Jim Gilmore (once).

This weekend on ABC’s THIS WEEK the Democrat heads of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC), Sen. Chuck Schumer, and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC), Rep. Rahm Emanuel, both appeared head-to-head with their Republican committee counterparts Sen. Elizabeth Dole and Rep. Tom Reynolds.

Developing...

Looks like Dean knows when he cant come off looking good. Well guess that cant be true or he wouldnt open his mouth. there goes that theory.

Unfortunately for Dean and the Democrats, it really doesn't matter what the TRUE reason for Dean's apparent shyness is...the only thing that matters is what it LOOKS like. And, at this moment, Dean seems to be showing quite clearly that he is incapable of communicating unless he is using pre-written talking points...and that he will not enter into a situation in which he might have to think on his feet.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the DNC and Democratic bigwigs had "ordered" Dean NOT to make any non-preprepared speeches or statements because anytime the man opens his mouth he makes an ass out of himself and the Dems!!! :) :mm: :)

I would certainly like to see Dean defend his views. My Democrat friends keep telling me they admire him for his conviction, his willingness to say controversial things that other Democrats are too afraid to say...

It'd be nice to see him actually say them to someone's face, instead of a congratulatory crowd.

Of course, I'd like to see George Bush go on the Daily Show too, and that isn't going to happen any time soon.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I realize the Daily Show and a debate with Mehlman are not even in the same ballpark.

Clay,

I actually agree with you, I'd like to see Bush appear "off the cuff" more off more often. But I don't think that is going to happen.

To your Democratic friends, I'd just like to ask...how is calling all Republicans and/or Conservatives "evil," or brutally mocking a man for a drug addiction (even if the man is a jerk) while claiming that the Democrats are the "decent" party who is sick of the rhetoric...helpful to the national discourse?

Dean was chosen becasue a) there was no one else for the job and b) the Dems secretly hoped that Dean would rally his "internet grassroots movement" to donate lots and lots of $$$$....so far he has failed miserably at that...mostly, it seems, because many Democrats are HONESTLY decent people who feel that Dean's vile statements are counter-productive to what they are supposedly standing for.

We need people who are willing to rise about the muck of partisan politics and talk about the real issues that face this nation and, more importantly, how to resolve them. Dean isn't rising above the muck...he's wallowing in it and asking Democrats everywhere to join him.

Forum List

Back