Dean Urges Dems to Court Pro-Life Voters

wolverine

Apr 4, 2005
United States
WASHINGTON -- Democrats need to reach out to voters who oppose abortion rights and promote candidates who share that view, the head of the party said Friday.

Howard Dean, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, told a group of college Democrats that their party has to change its approach in the debate over abortion.

"I think we need to talk about this issue differently," said Dean. "The Republicans have painted us as a pro-abortion party. I don't know anybody in America who is pro-abortion."

Full Story
Ever hear of Planned Parenthood Howard?

wolverine said:
Ever hear of Planned Parenthood Howard?

Gee, one would think the chairman of the DNC would be very familiar with PP and NARAL, have to agree with you Wolverine!

What I find interesting about this is that we have yet another 180 degree turnaround by the Dems. They were all over the news arguing that the 2004 exit polls (which found that people voted primarily on values), were wrong or at least misleading. That values weren't really important to voters; that voters misunderstood the questions, etc., etc. And now the Dems feel they must court pro-lifers to get elected? Ha! I guess they really did believe those those exit polls after all.

1132.gif

Even if they campaigned on a pro-life platform, does anyone really believe they would vote that way on bills?

party.Their motto: "If it's not outta the womb, you can send it to the tomb". Isn't one of their mantras "Make love, not war, and kill your offspring". Or maybe I'm wrong it's "Bush lied, people died,and kill your unborn too". I keep forgetting 'cause I'm not a Dem. No, now I remember, it's "Tune in, drop out, screw like rabbits, partially birth, and off with their heads". I dunno. I get confused trying to follow the "party of death".

As the apparent, only "out of the closet" democrat on this forum, I'm not afraid to throw in my two cents.

The DNC is trying to take the party back from the "extreme" liberals. I support abortion, but under special circumstances.

You can't force a woman, who lacks to courage to die, to carry a child knowing that it could kill her. You can't force a woman or a medical institution, to take care of a severely brain damage child until it eventually dies.

No TRUE Democrat supports the idea of "birth control" abortions; but when the Republicans are pushing for total illegalization of abortions, well, we'll have to just dig in and take the political casualties that goes with it.

I close with this.. Coming from a man who made such life or death decisions many of times... Just bring it! I'll fight you all the way!

hylandrdet said:
That's not an argument, that's my position. Show me an option that will allow abortions to exists, under special circumstances, and I'll endorse it.

pro-lifers (most) support only special circumstance abortions, like what you mentioned.

most of the liberals we see yapping are for abortion on demand, no matter how far along the baby is.

do you know how partial-birth abortions are performed? they crush the baby's skull while it is in the birth canal, just before it is certifiably born. this is done at any time during the pregnancy. they will induce labor prematurely, and force the baby to nearly be born.

wolverine said:

Uh, uh, Barbara Boxer said 5000 women a year would die if Roe v. Wade was overturned (never mind that that was the statistic for deaths caused by back alley abortions in GERMANY in 1936).

Ugh, the whole issue just makes me mad. Birth control abortions are sick and depraved. Anyone who has a birth control abortion should be sterilized. I mean, what are they gonna do when they decide the kid's inconvenient AFTER he/she is born.

"We need to talk about this issue differently" -- This is why the dems continually lose, they stand for nothing, and think they can tell people what they want to hear to get their vote. I wonder if he suggests any substantive policy changes or just intends to mislead? I think I know.

fuzzykitten99 said:
pro-lifers (most) support only special circumstance abortions, like what you mentioned.

most of the liberals we see yapping are for abortion on demand, no matter how far along the baby is.

do you know how partial-birth abortions are performed? they crush the baby's skull while it is in the birth canal, just before it is certifiably born. this is done at any time during the pregnancy. they will induce labor prematurely, and force the baby to nearly be born.

Yeah, but what happen if at the last second, the doctors find out that the baby's had suffered atrophy along the left frontal lobe and as the result, the baby will lose at LEAST 45% of his' brain activity. Under those citcumstances you'll give the order and terminate the pregnancy.

In short, you don't know when something could go wrong; you need that option to be there. Trust me from experience.

I don't have links to help you understand my position, I just have my own two eyes! The very second I create "hylandrdeteyes.com", I'll let you know.

hylandrdet said:
Under those citcumstances you'll give the order and terminate the pregnancy.

How omniscient of you.

Some people feel it's wrong to kill people for having medical problems.

Great strategy from Dean, considering that abortion law will never change in any state in any meaningful way until Roe v. Wade is overturned. So Democrats can POSE as "family values" people, get the votes, stay in power, make the conservatives feel good, but without any real change in policy.

It's a neat trick.

Republicans have been doing it for years!

William Joyce said:
Great strategy from Dean, considering that abortion law will never change in any state in any meaningful way until Roe v. Wade is overturned. So Democrats can POSE as "family values" people, get the votes, stay in power, make the conservatives feel good, but without any real change in policy.

It's a neat trick.

Republicans have been doing it for years!

Agreed--smoke and mirrors are the stuff politics are made of today. Ya gotta put on a show occasionally to keep the victims--er voters from falling asleep and forgetting what "side" they are supposed to be on.

Maybe - just maybe - Dean realized the abortion is the albatross around the neck of the Democratic Party, and is starting to take steps to moderate the Dem's position on it.

Nah. He probably just spoke out of his ass again. What an awesome DNC chair you guys picked!!!

gop_jeff said:
Maybe - just maybe - Dean realized the abortion is the albatross around the neck of the Democratic Party, and is starting to take steps to moderate the Dem's position on it.

Nah. He probably just spoke out of his ass again. What an awesome DNC chair you guys picked!!!

I don't think anyone is really surprised that the party that elected Durbin, Daschle and Teddy, would pick a total chucklehead like Dean to run the show. :puke:

Abbey Normal said:
I don't think anyone is really surprised that the party that elected Durbin, Daschle and Teddy, would pick a total chucklehead like Dean to run the show. :puke:

I don't think this choice is silly as it looks-----with Dean screaming left-wing insanity all over the place, Hillary looks moderate which is her goal. Another smoke and mirrirs job that will probably be effective to some extent.

I agree with Dillo on this one. I think Hillary is thanking her lucky stars for Dean. She has already begun to make subtle little changes, and it wouldn't surprise me if by 2008 most of the US public thinks of her as a moderate Democrat.

Her aides have supposedly started calling her "the Hawk," when the press is around...referring to her support of the military(hah). She has given several speeches in which she has catered to the more moderate pro-choicers and she has come out against video game violence...a favorite no-doubt with Bush's "Security Moms."

Dean's wicked rhetoric only makes her look "normal" by comparison...

Forum List

Back