Dean: a draft dodger with creativity

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jimnyc, Nov 22, 2003.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I have not served in the military, but have huge respect for those who have and are serving in the military.
    Thank you for your response, I suspected your reasons where much the same as you stated. In your opinion do other people who have served in the military share some of the same motivations for voluntering to go into the military?

2. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    People have various reasons for not serving in war. However, as someone who has never entered the fray, here are some things I find ironic:

1. that some of the same people who would be in favor of a draft for men, wouldn't allow women to serve voluntarily.

2. those who point a finger at other's lack of service or lack of meritorious service having themselves not served

3. those who oppose a war or refuse to fight on "moral grounds" then denouncing the use of "morals" as a reason for behavior by others in the politcal arena

3. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    To a large extent I would say yes. I was an air traffic controller my 6 years in. My unit was filled with people who loved both our jobs, being a marine and being a controller. We all served our time in the field as well and we accepted it. Yes, there is a percentage that deals with military service as a way for college or a way to get experience in a given field of expertise, but for the most part its about serving the united states.

4. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I would agree DKSuddeth, I have friends and acquaintances who joined for the very same reasons (service to country, college fund and specific tech training). My nephew joined after 9/11 because he wanted to serve his country( he is now in Afgahnistan).

SCLemens, I realize your statement is in reference to the Vietnam era draft. I can understand agruements against the draft then and now. However I do not understand the thought of people volunteering to serve their country because of pay. That is not what it is about.

I know some Vietnam Veterans, many have become sucessfull and important contributors in their comunities. How can you claim that Dean would at best perhaps spoiled his chance of getting into med school? Perhaps he would have missed a chance of med school because of military service, but perhaps he could have served and gone on to med school.

5. SLClemens

SLClemens Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    We don't know what would have become of Dean had he signed up, but his chances of leading a life of serving society (albeit in a well paid profession and public offices) would have been less.

Higher pay may not be a reason for many people joining, but low pay is a reason many don't.

6. SLClemens

SLClemens Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If the two Houses pass resolutions to do something as stupid as going to war in Vietnam against communism was I sure hope he refuses to go along the point of impeachment.

7. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Why? John Kerry served in Vietnam.

8. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    How do you know this?

9. SLClemens

SLClemens Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    We know this because of basic economic principles. The work people choose is the result of a combination of oportunity, necessity, and personal desires. Most people, if they can, prefer a job that they like that gives them a sense of satisfaction. Many people who would like to go into public service jobs like teaching, policing, or soldiering, but are unsure about whether it's the best job for them, make a choice in the end that takes economic factors into consideration. Many people who like teaching, for instance, choose something else because there's a limited amount of money in it, even though they have a strong desire to teach children. Raise salaries, especially starting salaries, and more people would want to become teachers. It's the same for something like soldiering.

The only way we'd know for certain would be to raise the pay for the lower ranks of the military substantially at a time when the supply of new soldiers is low and see what happens. But I'm sure any economist could tell you as much.

10. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Then using your logic it is safe to say DKSuddeth has less of a chance of serving society, because he joined the military.

And again how is it that people like John Kerry or Bob Kerry or even Al Gore can serve in the military during the war but for Dean it would have lessened his chances any more? Is he a disadvantaged man and cannot go through similair experiences?