Dean: a draft dodger with creativity

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Then using your logic it is safe to say DKSuddeth has less of a chance of serving society, because he joined the military.

And again how is it that people like John Kerry or Bob Kerry or even Al Gore can serve in the military during the war but for Dean it would have lessened his chances any more? Is he a disadvantaged man and cannot go through similair experiences?

Thankfully many Vietnam vets have managed to make wonderful contributions to our society. Some, I believe, have been able to overcome the challenges they faced in the military and serve society better because of it. But sadly, the chances of Vietnam vets succumbing to debilitating illness and social problems are much greater, espeically if they served in a combat role. On the whole, any sort of trauma rarely makes one a better person. I'd encourage you to read the following: http://www.prisonsociety.org/cf_2001_fall/12.html

Originally posted by SLClemens
If the two Houses pass resolutions to do something as stupid as going to war in Vietnam against communism was I sure hope he refuses to go along the point of impeachment.

Good idea, let's ignore congress and the job the American people elected them to do. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SLClemens
Many people who would like to go into public service jobs like teaching, policing, or soldiering, but are unsure about whether it's the best job for them, make a choice in the end that takes economic factors into consideration.

There are a lot of ways someone can go into public service even though they choose to follow a different career path. People aren't relegated to doing good but being poor or being rich but doing no good.

Anyone who chose economic security over a career of being of service to their community could support a philanthropy, volunteer, join the military reserves, run for local office or any number of other things. To state that people who join the military are any different is simply your opinion. I grew up in the military and I went to a school with a large military component and not one of the people that I've met in the military were there because they had no place else to go nor were they there for money.

I have, however, met many people who worked in non-military jobs they hated because of either reason.

Jim, do you believe that a canidate with that sort of sentiment would even be elected as President?

Absolutely not. It's disturbing to think there are even a handful of people out there who would want such action taken by our elected officials.

I doubt that this will even be much of an issue for Dean, however if he is asked, I now suppose he can say the pay was to low and he did not want to risk psychologically traumatic stress dissorder but rather be a better servent to society.:rolleyes:

I would never vote for Dean, no surprise there, though I think too much is being made of this. He had a fair reason for avoiding, which was certainly his good fortune. I don't think it has a thing to do with his ability to be President, though for many reasons I certainly hope that remains only his dream.

Monday Nov. 24, 2003; 1:30 p.m. EST
Kerry Slams Dean as Draft Dodger

In a press release issued by Sen. John Kerry's presidential campaign on Sunday, former Sen. Max Cleland slammed front-runner Howard Dean for dodging the draft during Vietnam - the war that turned Cleland into a triple amputee.

"At a time when young Americans are being killed and wounded by President Bush’s failed policy in Iraq, we don’t need another governor who ran from going to Vietnam and leading our country," Cleland complained.

"We cannot afford to have a leader who weaseled out of going to Vietnam on a medical deferment for a bad back and wound up on the ski slopes of Aspen like Howard Dean," the Georgia Democrat railed.

Cleland, who has endorsed fellow Vietnam veteran Kerry for president, was reacting to Dean's comments to the New York Times on Saturday, where he explained how he went to for his draft physical in 1970 armed with x-rays and a note from his doctor.

"It was like a scene from the movie 'Alice's Restaurant,' " Dean told the paper, referring to Arlo Guthrie's 1969 hippie anti-war anthem.

The presidential candidate hoped a condition known as spondylolysis, a low-back pain that sometimes radiates into the legs, would help him beat the draft. And it did, with military doctors reclassifying Dean, who had just graduated from Yale, from a 2S student deferment to 1Y, which meant he'd be called up only as a last resort.

But Cleland and others are grousing that Dean's bad back was less of a disability than a convenient excuse not to serve, since he spent most of the next year skiing the slopes of Aspen, Colo.

Asked if he could have served if he really wanted to, Dean told the Times, "I guess that's probably true. I mean, I was in no hurry to get into the military."

Even Dean's mother, Andree Maitland Dean, didn't sound particulary proud of the way her son handled the draft, telling a recent interviewer, "Yeah, that looks bad."

link

Cleland's devotion to his country is admirable (though futile, as things proved), but I don't see what relevance this has to Dean preventing himself getting dragooned into a senseless war. If you can find evidence that, in 1970, Dean thought the war in Vietnam was good and should continue, then I might see some point to this criticism.

I hope you are posing your question to Cleland and Kerry, they are the ones critizing Dean.;)

Yes, I should write them!

Forum List

Back