Dealing with rude customers

Ozmar

This tree will shoot you.
Aug 25, 2010
North Carolina
I work in retail, and I was asking some customers if they wanted to check out and they just ignored me and walked on. I don't know why this is getting to me so badly, but it is. If someone does not need your help, why can't they just say no instead of being rude and saying nothing? It pisses me off to no end. I've worked at the place for nearly 2 years, and this feels like the first time it has gotten to me to such an extent. I'm on anxiety medication as is, and I was doing well until this point. I've been told I fixate on the negative too much, and I feel I'm doing this right now but I can't seem to lift myself out of it. Any suggestions?

They were probably talking on there cellphones with bluetooth.

America is getting ruder and cell phones contribute to that.

Dealing with the public can be a challenge. You need to be thick skinned at times. Don't take their rudeness as a personal attack. If you don't enjoy working with the public, maybe you should try a different career.

They were probably talking on there cellphones with bluetooth.

America is getting ruder and cell phones contribute to that.
Ok, so one looked at me then kept walking. I'm not sure if she made an attempt to gesture no.
I don't know why I'm getting so worked up about it. This is really affecting me in a bad way.

Dealing with the public can be a challenge. You need to be thick skinned at times. Don't take their rudeness as a personal attack. If you don't enjoy working with the public, maybe you should try a different career.

Yeah. I'm in school right now, so I don't have much choice but to work in retail at the moment.

Yeah. I'm in school right now, so I don't have much choice but to work in retail at the moment.

I understand... Hang in there. It will be better one of these days. Good luck with it all.

In school or not reatil are about the only jobs going in my area.

I have heard rumors of 500 candidates for the county comissioners slot open next spring on the ballot.

I'm thinking about not even asking customers if they're ready to check out anymore. This shit pissed me off so much.

I understand... Hang in there. It will be better one of these days. Good luck with it all.

Thanks.

Maybe the customer felt insulted by the question.
Like, maybe, you were rushing them out.

Relax.
Be glad to have customers.
Let them roam and spend at will.
They'll check out when they're ready.

:cool:

Maybe the customer felt insulted by the question.
Like, maybe, you were rushing them out.

Relax.
Be glad to have customers.
Let them roam and spend at will.
They'll check out when they're ready.

I didn't think I was rushing them. I don't usually come across as an obnoxious salesperson. I guess I didn't see it that way. I could have.

They probably didn't think they were being rude ;)
See what I'm sayin'?

Yeah, I can see it that way. Thanks. Sometimes it's so frustrating. I have to remember not to go down this path, as it only makes me feel like crap.

I'm thinking about not even asking customers if they're ready to check out anymore. This shit pissed me off so much.

Some people are rude. Live with it. Don't take it personally, carry on doing what you do to the best of your ability. You are responsible only for yourself. You cannot change others. Tell yourself that you're better than them and carry on asking politely.

It's not just customers.

Customer service has also gone down the shitter. I was a Home Depot the other day to pick up some stuff from the garden dept. I set my stuff down near the outdoor register and looked around for a cashier. I saw a pudgy pimply kid with a store apron on, he looked right at me than walked into the parking lot. i assumed he was not a cashier so I walked back into the garden dept to look for someone to ring me up. After about 5 minutes i saw pudgy again ans asked if anyone was around to cash me out and he said , "I am."

I was pissed. I said, "You looked right at me standing here twice and you didn't think I wanted to pay for this shit!"

I got his name and dimed him out to the manager. I hope his pimply ass get fired.

Ozmar,

The best thing in a Social setting to do is be friendly with everyone, even the rude people. Kharma may not be a real thing, it's probably not, but if you "Consider" using it as a tool, then you will see that the more positivity you put out there, the more will come your way in return.

Anxiety disorders and such are all about tricking your brain. If you play the "kharma game," you'll start to notice positive things because you'll say to yourself: "hey, that lady was very nice. I guess the good kharma is coming back to me," and that's where your focus will go.

Then there's always "kill them with kindness" which works 88% of the time, and the other 12% should be considered "funny" so giggle at them and keep it moving.

If all that doesn't work, punch someone in the fucking mouth. I swear to the sun itself you will feel 110% better. :eek:

Forum List

Back