Dealing With A Disobedient Dog

DSCN0740.jpg

My footprint next to klaus'...I wear a size 9-10 women's shoe.

Klaus likes to get big sticks and keep them away from Snoop, who gets ticked because he can't get it from Klaus unless he gets rough. And Klaus tries to lure him into the water, because Klaus is comfortable jumping around in water that knocks the smaller dogs off their feet, lol.

I took klaus out for a quick walk at noon. Sometimes I think people wonder if it's worth it if you only have 15 minutes to spend outside with a dog...I have learned it absolutely is. Even 15 minutes is better than no minutes, and if you can manage 15 minutes a couple or three times a day, your dog feels like he's roaming and it satisfies something in their doggy brains.

It certainly isn't enough to tire them out physically, but engaging their minds can have the same effect as straight up long distance running....

I only had 10-15 minutes but he needed to get out of the house so I put the leash on him and walked him the length of the block, which is kind of shrubby and nice...wide sidewalk, a meridian of river rock between the walk and the street on one side and a grassy/brushy swath on the other that gives you some breathing room. Then there's a house at the end, with a low little fence..we got there and there were a couple of pooches that started barking. Of course Klaus could just step over the fence, and he wasn't expecting them so he jumped at the end of the leash but didn't get loose. So I worked with that for a minute, just letting the doggies bark while I had him heel, and sit, then the lady came out and after a minute we moved closer to the fence so he was able to sort of meet the two through the fence...but he had to sit. Then we said goodbye and left, and he was such a good boy, didn't fuss about it...we hurried home...

All that happened in 10 minutes, but it was a big thing for him. He got to check out the surrounding area and meet a couple of dogs he hears barking and sees walking by pretty regularly.

I'm not always able to take the dogs out for 40 minutes at a stretch, to let them run all the kinks out. In fact, I seldom am able to do that. Sometimes I do, but what I've found is that the thing is to just keep them with you all the time you can. You might not be running down the beach or chasing cows, or have acres where the dogs can just roam on the place...but if you keep your dog with you all the time that you can, then they can adapt to that. So when I go outside to dink around, to pick up poop or get the mail, I take Klaus. If I only have 20 minutes and I know he needs to get out, I take him out for 20 minutes.

And it puts him in a good spot for this evening, when we have a football game, which means he's going to be in the house alone in the evening, which isn't our normal routine. Then I'll be able to take him out later this evening, probably after dark...and it will be just in front of the house again, because I can't walk past the corners of the block because of the kids. So I walk back and forth in front of the house.

I'm sure people think I'm nuts just walking back and forth in front of my house, but we do what we have to do.

Last night I was watching Trever having his daily roll around on the carpet - he gets frisky and this is what he does, as well as making these weird noises and getting a tad excited - he gets up, shakes himself, then, as brazen as can be, trots over to the couch and cocks his blasted leg! He pissed on the damned couch. I sent him outside straight away but he didn't seem to care that he had done wrong. Cooper knows when he has done the wrong thing, but Trev, no remorse at all!

He does it either because he can smell the scent of Cooper's urine, or because he is lazy. I would say its because he's lazy. He goes outside for a wee, instead of peeing on the grass, he will just piss beside the picnic table on the patio. He's a little overweight, refuses to eat dry food because Cooper gets a mix or dry and wet (Cooper had his teeth filed down before we got him so its harder for him to chew) and doesn't even show any interest in playing ball. He barks like mad when the balls come out, but he refuses to run and catch one.

Lazy little shit he is!

Last night I was watching Trever having his daily roll around on the carpet - he gets frisky and this is what he does, as well as making these weird noises and getting a tad excited - he gets up, shakes himself, then, as brazen as can be, trots over to the couch and cocks his blasted leg! He pissed on the damned couch. I sent him outside straight away but he didn't seem to care that he had done wrong. Cooper knows when he has done the wrong thing, but Trev, no remorse at all!

He does it either because he can smell the scent of Cooper's urine, or because he is lazy. I would say its because he's lazy. He goes outside for a wee, instead of peeing on the grass, he will just piss beside the picnic table on the patio. He's a little overweight, refuses to eat dry food because Cooper gets a mix or dry and wet (Cooper had his teeth filed down before we got him so its harder for him to chew) and doesn't even show any interest in playing ball. He barks like mad when the balls come out, but he refuses to run and catch one.

Lazy little shit he is!

How do you stand the smell of all that urine? You should get them dog houses and throw them out of the house.

Nothing. He doesn't like the fact that we all work and he is often alone by himself, but he should be used to that.

He is so demanding when you get home though. I arrive home from a 9 hour shift at work and he grabs his ball and starts barking, demanding I go outside and play. I want to rest, I don't want to play just yet, but he expects it.

He'll get his walk tomorrow, so that is something.

If schedules and failing health prevent proper care of an animal with high activity demands, especially a dog that has been bred to do a job, it would be kindest to find him a job. Have you considered giving him over to someone who has Harding animals?

Koshergrl, he's not my dog, He's my mums dog - so is the other Border. She has back problems with started only recently so she can't exercise the dogs as much as she would like.

I start work at 5am most mornings - there is no way I can take the dog for a walk then, and besides, she wouldn't let me. Cooper is very strong and she reckons he will be too strong for me. He expects her to take him for a walk but she can't and I am starting to wonder why we have him when we can't walk him that often.

Your Mum really should consider giving him up. His behavioral issues will only increase given the situation you have described.

I don't know, it sounds like you're always angry with him. That makes them neurotic.They aren't neurotic on their own.

I'm not usually mad at him. I really do like him, especially when he comes over for a cuddle and sleeps on my feet at night. He's a great dog and gets a ton of praise. I just get mad when he pisses everywhere because it stinks and we have to clean it up.

Now the younger dog has gotten the idea that if Cooper can piss inside, so can he. So the Jack Russell had a piss inside as well, in the bedroom this time.

Its exasperating at times, I swear! I wish we had cats, I am more of a cat person, anyway - and they don't piss inside!

You can't claim to be a cat person and not know that they are far more likely than dogs to employ inappropriate urination to express thei displeasure.

Omg, you've got a border collie and a jack russell?

I do pity you...and cats absolutely piss inside, hahaha and it smells even worse.

I had a couple of Rottie mixes who would occasionally piss and shit on my flipping BED. It had nothing to do with them having to go to the bathroom...one memorable event took place just a few minutes after I'd let them in from outside...I let them into the house, then ran out to the car to get the groceries and guess what was waiting for me?

I had one cat who would punish me by pissing on the stove top...talk about a stink! Only thing that smells worse than cat piss is burning cat piss!

I don't know, it sounds like you're always angry with him. That makes them neurotic.They aren't neurotic on their own.

I'm not usually mad at him. I really do like him, especially when he comes over for a cuddle and sleeps on my feet at night. He's a great dog and gets a ton of praise. I just get mad when he pisses everywhere because it stinks and we have to clean it up.

Now the younger dog has gotten the idea that if Cooper can piss inside, so can he. So the Jack Russell had a piss inside as well, in the bedroom this time.

Its exasperating at times, I swear! I wish we had cats, I am more of a cat person, anyway - and they don't piss inside!

Here's another hint, if you have a Jack, DO NOT get a cat. Jack's are ratters and are notorious for killing cats and other small animals.

That's certainly true. We are a no-cat household. And our yard is a no (live, anyway) cat yard. Mylo kills them if they run from her, or don't see her. If they turn to face her, she'll eventually leave them alone..but once they show they're nervous, or if they don't see her, or if they actually run, she kills them.

I don't understand why you're playing with the dog in the house. I think a lot of your problem is you just don't understand dogs.

They need to be outside a LOT for peeing purposes. It should be the first thing you do when you get up, the last thing before you go to bed, and every hour or so if you can swing it except when sleeping. If not, then the first thing you should do when you come into the house is let them out....and if you play with them, as soon as the activity slows, if you aren't already outside, you need to get them out, because that is when they pee/mark. As soon as that dog turns away from you or walks away, you should be calling him to the door...you have to PREVENT this stuff from happening by understanding WHEN it's going to happen and stopping it. If you can do that, eventually the dog will get out of the *habit* of doing it, but you have to be pro-active, and you have to be aware.

I'm sorry, I don't think the dog is the one who's lazy.

Why you would watch him saunter over to a spot you KNOW the dogs mark without jumping up and calling him outside is beyond me.

My son's dog always pisses on my Christmas tree, though..every freaking year. And we are certainly not lazy. But he's definitely marking...we're still trying to get my son to fix him. He doesn't pee in anyone else's house but he'll piss here and there in my house.

So he doesn't get to stay inside when he visits anymore....at least not just to wander around.

He did find the big box (plastic!) with all the Christmas decorations in it in the garage though (including the fake tree) and he ALWAYS pees on it, lolol...

The tree is going to have to go. I think it has reached saturation.

You can't claim to be a cat person and not know that they are far more likely than dogs to employ inappropriate urination to express thei displeasure.

When I was young, single and had a cat, he gave me a 10pm curfew. If I came home after ten, he peed in my shoes. If he couldn't get a shoe, he'd pee in the bed.

When I was young, single and had a cat, he gave me a 10pm curfew. If I came home after ten, he peed in my shoes. If he couldn't get a shoe, he'd pee in the bed.

What did you do when he peed in your bed? Buy a new mattress or sleep on that one.

What did you do when he peed in your bed? Buy a new mattress or sleep on that one.

I soaked it in Nature's Miracle and slept on the other side until it dried. You can use Hydrogen Peroxide too. My friend had a cat that objected to her doing homework when she was in law school. He would drag her clothes out of the hamper and pee on them. If the cat was REALLY mad, he'd claw her underwear to shreds.

Animals have ways of dealing with disobedient owners. My dog gives "lectures". She will get in your face and read you the riot act until you follow instructions. She has a sitter while I'm at school, it took my dog only a few weeks to teach the sitter simple commands like "walk, water, cookie". The sitter is now as obedient as a human can be. My dog is the second most intelligent of all dog breeds, she's a poodle. I have no patience in dog training, nor do I want a dog with the decision making ability of a ten year old child.

In this situation. I really don't see a disobedient dog. I see a poorly equipped owner with a lot of excuses on why she's poorly equipped. Not all dogs are suitable for all owners. A border collie is extremely intelligent and extremely active. A dog less intelligent (but not as stupid as say, an Afghan) will be easier to train and not as apt as to think for themselves.

Here is a list of dog breeds ranked by intelligence.

1. Border Collie
2. Poodle
3. German Shepherd
4. Golden Retriever
5. Doberman Pinscher
6. Shetland Sheepdog
7. Labrador Retriever
8. Papillon
9. Rottweiler
10. Australian cattle dog
11. Pembroke Welsh corgi
12. Miniature schnauzer
13. English springer spaniel
14. Belgian Tervuren
15. Schipperke Belgian sheepdog
16. Collie Keeshond
17. German short-haired pointer
18. Flat-coated retriever; English cocker spaniel; Standard schnauzer
19. Brittany spaniel
20. Cocker spaniel; Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever*
21. Weimaraner
22. Belgian Malinois; Bernese Mountain dog
23. Pomeranian
24. Irish water spaniel
25. Vizsla
26. Cardigan Welsh corgi
27. Chesapeake Bay retriever; Puli; Yorkshire terrier
28. Giant schnauzer; Portuguese water dog
29. Airedale; Bouvier des Flandres
30. Border terrier; Briard
31. Welsh springer spaniel
32. Manchester terrier
33. Samoyed
34. Field spaniel; Newfoundland; Australian terrier; American Staffordshire terrier; Gordon setter; Bearded collie
35. American Eskimo dog*; Cairn terrier; Kerry blue terrier; Irish setter
36. Norwegian elkhound
37. Affenpinscher; Silky terrier Miniature pinscher; English setter; Pharaoh hound; Clumber spaniel
38. Norwich terrier
39. Dalmatian
40. Soft-coated wheaten terrier; Bedlington terrier; Smooth-haired fox terrier
41. Curly-coated retriever; Irish wolfhound
42. Kuvasz; Australian shepard
43. Saluki; Finnish spitz; Pointer
44. Cavalier King Charles spaniel; German wirehaired pointer; Black-and-tan coonhound; American water spaniel
45. Siberian husky; Bichon fries; English toy spaniel
46. Tibetan spaniel; English foxhound; Otterhound; American foxhound; Greyhound; Harrier*; Parson Russell terrier*; Wirehaired pointing griffon
47. West Highland white terrier; Havanese*; Scottish deerhound
48. Boxer; Great Dane
49. Dachshund; Staffordshire bull terrier; Shiba Inu*
50. Malamute
51. Whippet; Chinese shar-pei; Wirehaired fox terrier
52. Rhodesian ridgeback
53. Ibizan hound; Welsh terrier; Irish terrier
54. Boston terrier; Akita
55. Skye terrier
56. Norfolk terrier; Sealyham terrier
57. Pug
58. French bulldog
59. Brussels griffon; Maltese terrier
60. Italian greyhound
61. Chinese crested
62. Dandie Dinmont terrier; Vendeen; Tibetan terrier; Japanese chin; Lakeland terrier
63. Old English sheepdog
64. Great Pyrenees
65. Scottish terrier; Saint Bernard
66. Bull terrier; Petite Basset Griffon; Vendeen*
67. Chihuahua
68. Lhasa apso
69. Bullmastiff
70. Shih Tzu
71. Basset hound
72. Mastiff; Beagle
73. Pekingese
74. Bloodhound
75. Borzoi
76. Chow chow
77. Bulldog
78. Basenji
79. Afghan hound

For this family a border terrier would be a much better pet than a border collie.

I soaked it in Nature's Miracle and slept on the other side until it dried. You can use Hydrogen Peroxide too. My friend had a cat that objected to her doing homework when she was in law school. He would drag her clothes out of the hamper and pee on them. If the cat was REALLY mad, he'd claw her underwear to shreds.

Animals have ways of dealing with disobedient owners. My dog gives "lectures". She will get in your face and read you the riot act until you follow instructions. She has a sitter while I'm at school, it took my dog only a few weeks to teach the sitter simple commands like "walk, water, cookie". The sitter is now as obedient as a human can be. My dog is the second most intelligent of all dog breeds, she's a poodle. I have no patience in dog training, nor do I want a dog with the decision making ability of a ten year old child.

In this situation. I really don't see a disobedient dog. I see a poorly equipped owner with a lot of excuses on why she's poorly equipped. Not all dogs are suitable for all owners. A border collie is extremely intelligent and extremely active. A dog less intelligent (but not as stupid as say, an Afghan) will be easier to train and not as apt as to think for themselves.

Here is a list of dog breeds ranked by intelligence.

1. Border Collie
2. Poodle
3. German Shepherd
4. Golden Retriever
5. Doberman Pinscher
6. Shetland Sheepdog
7. Labrador Retriever
8. Papillon
9. Rottweiler
10. Australian cattle dog
11. Pembroke Welsh corgi
12. Miniature schnauzer
13. English springer spaniel
14. Belgian Tervuren
15. Schipperke Belgian sheepdog
16. Collie Keeshond
17. German short-haired pointer
18. Flat-coated retriever; English cocker spaniel; Standard schnauzer
19. Brittany spaniel
20. Cocker spaniel; Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever*
21. Weimaraner
22. Belgian Malinois; Bernese Mountain dog
23. Pomeranian
24. Irish water spaniel
25. Vizsla
26. Cardigan Welsh corgi
27. Chesapeake Bay retriever; Puli; Yorkshire terrier
28. Giant schnauzer; Portuguese water dog
29. Airedale; Bouvier des Flandres
30. Border terrier; Briard
31. Welsh springer spaniel
32. Manchester terrier
33. Samoyed
34. Field spaniel; Newfoundland; Australian terrier; American Staffordshire terrier; Gordon setter; Bearded collie
35. American Eskimo dog*; Cairn terrier; Kerry blue terrier; Irish setter
36. Norwegian elkhound
37. Affenpinscher; Silky terrier Miniature pinscher; English setter; Pharaoh hound; Clumber spaniel
38. Norwich terrier
39. Dalmatian
40. Soft-coated wheaten terrier; Bedlington terrier; Smooth-haired fox terrier
41. Curly-coated retriever; Irish wolfhound
42. Kuvasz; Australian shepard
43. Saluki; Finnish spitz; Pointer
44. Cavalier King Charles spaniel; German wirehaired pointer; Black-and-tan coonhound; American water spaniel
45. Siberian husky; Bichon fries; English toy spaniel
46. Tibetan spaniel; English foxhound; Otterhound; American foxhound; Greyhound; Harrier*; Parson Russell terrier*; Wirehaired pointing griffon
47. West Highland white terrier; Havanese*; Scottish deerhound
48. Boxer; Great Dane
49. Dachshund; Staffordshire bull terrier; Shiba Inu*
50. Malamute
51. Whippet; Chinese shar-pei; Wirehaired fox terrier
52. Rhodesian ridgeback
53. Ibizan hound; Welsh terrier; Irish terrier
54. Boston terrier; Akita
55. Skye terrier
56. Norfolk terrier; Sealyham terrier
57. Pug
58. French bulldog
59. Brussels griffon; Maltese terrier
60. Italian greyhound
61. Chinese crested
62. Dandie Dinmont terrier; Vendeen; Tibetan terrier; Japanese chin; Lakeland terrier
63. Old English sheepdog
64. Great Pyrenees
65. Scottish terrier; Saint Bernard
66. Bull terrier; Petite Basset Griffon; Vendeen*
67. Chihuahua
68. Lhasa apso
69. Bullmastiff
70. Shih Tzu
71. Basset hound
72. Mastiff; Beagle
73. Pekingese
74. Bloodhound
75. Borzoi
76. Chow chow
77. Bulldog
78. Basenji
79. Afghan hound

For this family a border terrier would be a much better pet than a border collie.

Are dumber dogs nicer?

You might want to watch out posting stuff like this, I told someone once that Pomeranians weren't very bright and that person got pretty insane about it.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

Forum List

Back